In need of some ideas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of some ideas!

I went to a Pagan Meetup Group, and there were some wonderful people there but it is in some dire need for some substance. I was given the go-ahead to try to think up some fun activities we could do as a group. I already came up with a few, but does anyone have any ideas?

Everyone in the group pretty much has a different path they follow (or none at all!) so I am looking for activities that wouln't exclude anyone and are fun!

Pagan Tops, Bottoms, and More!

For about a year, a group I belonged to had a monthly guided meditation. People signed up to lead and plan it. That was wonderful. Afterwards, we had light snacks and discussion.

I miss it.
    In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

You could have a divination party where everyone brings their favorite form of divination, and if it's something everyone is unfamiliar with, maybe that person could give a tiny demonstration. Or you could have a costume party where everyone comes as their favorite deity (or role model for the non-theists) and everyone has to introduce themselves so that everyone else learns about a new deity. Something fun but interactive & educational.
      Last edited by Nitefalle; August 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM.
      ~NITEFALLE~
      Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
      Always in search of, and one step in back of,
      Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
      ~Willie Nelson~

sigpic

Comment

I ran a Pagan networking for quite a few years. We met on a monthly basis and our group was freely advertised, which meant we had no idea who or how many would show. It started out a little rocky with some jerky types showing up. The conversations also tended to lead to 1) boring talks about our jobs, weather, mundane stuff or 2) arguments.

I decided to add a discussion topic to each meeting, so we'd have some amount of focus. I opened up the discussion to be lead by anyone who volunteered or guests from the public. Guests could be local astrologers, book store owners or once we had a tattoo artist who talked about spiritual based tattooes.

Mostly we just had the members lead the discussions or even have a demontration. One guy talked about making your own ritual tools and brought his handmade items in. Many others have talked about specific cultures related to Paganism: Celtic, Norse, Hawaiian. Or topics on Shamanism, Pagan parenting, crystals, herbs, animal totems/guides, and energywork like reiki.

Because this was a networking group, which was open to those under 18, we did not actually practice magic at the gatherings. Just sharing info, ideas and resources. Your group maybe much different in this respect.

Discussions everyone can share about would be: Divination or just Tarot. People love to look at different decks and ask/answer questions.
        Moon lore and worship
        Solar worship/ Sabbats
        Gods/ Goddess from around the globe
        Books - invite people to bring their favorite Pagan books

If your group seems really into "show n tell" you can always encourage them to bring stuff to the gatherings: their favorite tools, music, things they've made, jewerly.... I have found that Pagans feel they can not just share their stuff or knowledge in the general population and are so happy to share it with others who are like minded!

And there's always Pagan movie night. It's fun to have a Pagan oriented discussion of popular movies like the Wicker Man, Mists of Avalon or Practical Magic.

If I have more ideas, I post again :cheers: Hope you enjoy moderating your group!!

Attached Mama to Brendan, born 11/18/03. Loving Wife to Dennis, handfasted 9/7/02.

Comment

Hands on pagans

Crafts are always good. You can get the group together and make Brigid's Crosses, or poppets, perhaps even satchets of favorite dried herbs. You could have candle making sessions or basket making (I love baskets!).

If you're really dedicated, you could have a New Moon meeting and make scrying mirrors. Yup, all sorts of cool craft things, like incense making or wreaths and garlands for the winter season. Centerpieces for altars or tables. Maypoles. All sorts of stuff.
          Richard
          The Storyteller
          Happy Flower of Death

Comment

Originally posted by maelstrom View Post
            Crafts are always good. You can get the group together and make Brigid's Crosses, or poppets, perhaps even satchets of favorite dried herbs. You could have candle making sessions or basket making (I love baskets!).

If you're really dedicated, you could have a New Moon meeting and make scrying mirrors. Yup, all sorts of cool craft things, like incense making or wreaths and garlands for the winter season. Centerpieces for altars or tables. Maypoles. All sorts of stuff.
            The only logistical issue with project like activities is providing the supplies. If the moderator will always be funding the money or providing the needed supplies for the projects, no problem. But often one person doesn't have the funds to do this. If those attending will need to bring their own, you'll need to communicate this well before the event and give ideas where things can be purchased. Some people will have items on hand but others will not. You'll need to have some extra stuff available for those who can not afford or didn't get the message.

JMHO,

Rhianna

Attached Mama to Brendan, born 11/18/03. Loving Wife to Dennis, handfasted 9/7/02.

Comment

Are you looking for activities to do outside of the meet up gathering? Or within the existing time/venue of the group?
              The Sexy Heathen Babe

Comment

Working...
              X