Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vigdisdotter
    replied
    Hey Rhianna good questions and ones I'm wrestling with myself.

I think (and please take this with a LARGE grain of salt) that one thing that needs to happen, but often doesn't, is that expectations and needs must be made clear.

I think a lot of the "stuckness" comes from the fact that others see something getting done an take the approach of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And unless the go-to person SAYS something about needing help, taking a break, whatever, then no one will notice there is a problem.

Of course, nothing says they will step up if they DO notice.

However, I'm currently making a point of telling EVERYONE that I'm meeting int eh local community not only about my plans for community building but also how OTHERS can help and what we need and what sort of time-line I'm looking at.

I think putting it all out on the table as it were is a good start. Then those with specific interests and/or skills can jump in or (depending on the situation) can be voluntold ~_^

Leave a comment:

• Ivy Artemisia
    replied
    Is it lack of communication or organization? Or perhaps everyone else is just too shy/new/inexperienced/busy? Maybe some people do not want to give up some of their control?

I think that all of the reasons you listed above can cause burn out. I think that burnout can be avoided by organization, managing expectations and making sure that everyone is on-board before taking on a project. If you get buy-in from all the members involved, people will WANT to pitch in and help. Whether its taking on a consistant responsibility (like email reminders or coven notes) or taking part in writing a specific ritual, I think that if everyone has a hand in planning the event, more people will be invested in helping it come to fruition. I definitely think that communication (and expectations when people first join) is key.

Much of it can also be a control thing, if the main leader is a control freak, and doesn't delegate well. Most times leaders like this have had major problems with people flaking on her/him before, and feels as though she needs to pick up the slack or else everything might fall apart. This causes major burnout. Also, what sometimes (but not always) comes with control freaks are power trippy tendencies. I think it’s the responsibility of the main leaders to lead from within, and make sure that their groups are a family- and that shes not the queen bee surrounded by drones. No one wants to help if they don't feel they are contributing or if their contributions aren't appreciated!

Also, for newer members, many times people just are afraid of doing something wrong, (putting the altar stuff away), etc. or they are afraid of disrupting what is the norm, or don't want to step on any toes. Some people are shy… I fix that by asking them to help with something. It makes the new people less worried when they've been instructed on how to help, and it will help them feel like one of the group.

Leave a comment:

• Rhianna813
    started a topic Sharing group responsibilities and avoiding burn out

Sharing group responsibilities and avoiding burn out

As is typical in any group (be it closed Coven, open Circle or Lodge) there is bound to be ebb and flow in the amount of attendance and energy the members can give. Burn out can occur for more seasoned members. The need to inspire new members to get involved grows. Sometimes these conflicts can end a group, which is sad.

The most common scenario is the same people organize most of the events. Or you get sucked into doing one task and suddenly you’re the go-to person for it. (Unofficially, I am the one who sends out the email notices for those who don’t have computers). Or the attitude that “a whole group of people, somewhere; are taking care of it” when that’s not the case at all.

How do these things happen? Is it lack of communication or organization? Or perhaps everyone else is just too shy/new/inexperienced/busy? Maybe some people do not want to give up some of their control?

Maybe we can share ideas and suggestions for avoiding burn out, inspiring greater responsibility sharing and ways to get shy/new/inexperienced/busy folks invovled. Thanks!!

Rhianna
Working...
X