Fostering the Hive Mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fostering the Hive Mind

Do you do any activities to help create a hive mind in your group? When we dedicate new members, we work on some games, and fun activites to get us all on the same track. What, if anything, do you do?

(I'll share ours in a bitty)
    Ivy Artemisia
    Twilight Spiral Coven [Site | Facebook]
    Hearth and Hedgerow [Site | Etsy Shop]

We've done this twice now to honor new members. I find drumming and/or chanting to work well. Part of our ceremony was to have as many small glass jars on the altar as there are members present - including a jar for each new member being inducted. Each jar holds about an inch of water. As we chant (can't remember which chant at the moment - cartoons are too loud in the next room!) together we pour our water into the cauldron, mixing and mingling our energies. At the end of the ceremony each member can then take home some of the water in their jar to be used as they need.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunacie View Post
      We've done this twice now to honor new members. I find drumming and/or chanting to work well. Part of our ceremony was to have as many small glass jars on the altar as there are members present - including a jar for each new member being inducted. Each jar holds about an inch of water. As we chant (can't remember which chant at the moment - cartoons are too loud in the next room!) together we pour our water into the cauldron, mixing and mingling our energies. At the end of the ceremony each member can then take home some of the water in their jar to be used as they need.
      What a great idea! Where would you find your little glass jars?
      Ivy Artemisia

Comment

I actually used bud vases because the idea of using the charged water wasn't suggested until after the ceremony. One idea would be the small canning jars for jelly, some are very pretty cut glass and hold about one cup. I thought about saving the empty bottles my supplements come in, but they are plastic and they are brown. Ick.

Empty worchestershire bottles, soy or teryaki bottles, hot sauce bottles - would all work well but might take a while to save up enough of them depending on how large the membership is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunacie View Post
          love this idea! i would like to incorporate something similar into my groups yule ritual if you don't mind. seems like a lovely sort of re-dedication.

“I think witches, of all people, are attuned to the weird.
          That's how we get our rep, I suppose.”
          -snapdragon-

Comment

Originally posted by Invidosa View Post
            love this idea! i would like to incorporate something similar into my groups yule ritual if you don't mind. seems like a lovely sort of re-dedication.
            I don't mind at all. Here is the gist of what we did for our "induction" into the Grove ceremony:

Grove of the Moon Garden
            Induction Ceremony Aug 2008

We gather as a group for 8 Sabbats
            and as many Esbats as we feel drawn to do,
            to light candles and dance and chant
            and fellowship with each other,
            with the four elements of nature,
            with the Spirit that draws us together,
            and with the Lord and the Lady.

Together we work to create a Sacred Space
            where we can grow spiritually and
            experience a connection with the Old Gods,
            with this world, and the world beyond it.
            Together we work to share this spiritual connection with each other,
            and with other seekers of spiritual growth.
            ~
            Just as many streams, known and unknown, small and large,
            contribute to a river's strength and course,
            so too do the efforts and gifts of each of us
            contribute to the flow of spirituality and love
            in this The Grove of the Moon Garden.

Each person pours water into the cauldron together, chanting:

We are the flow, we are the ebb
            We are the weavers, we are the web.

Comment

Not trying to be difficult but is that not why most of the older groups actually had oaths and inductions? The oaths and rituals for advancement and / or rituals actually tied the groups together and created a like mind set for the greater whole even as minor parts of the whole may have gone into more specific growth paths.

I do not work with a group today so have to recall from my time as a member of a Fam trad. Yet in that time we had certain dates and practices for the whole family and certain things that were specific to the path we each were on. Yes and even some things that were specific to the sex of the member.

I can see how one might do something for a general meeting that might get everyone into the mindset for that particular event but not carry over for a loose joined group.

To use my military back ground I can see how one might get a general mind set for something like a service dance for all present would have some connection to the greater general concept of service branch. Yet, unless you were a bubblehead, skimmer, airdale or spook you would not connect to those specifics unless you where part of the more specifc grouping. And I can asure you the things I did in each of those groups was so specific that they did not cross over into the other group except to the extent we were all sailors.

I aplaud you for the interst and purpose you are trying to acheive but I trully do not see how it can be more than were all pagan or heathen if there is not a greater binding. Too me it seems more like a meeting where one says "I'm a Shaman, Your a Wiccan, Your an Witch, Your a Asatruan, your a Sorceror, and your a Odinist" so lets find something that binds us when the only thing that does is were Pagan's or Heathen's.

I freely and upfront admit I am somewhat biased in my views so it may work for you and your group, even though I do not understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivy Artemisia View Post
                Do you do any activities to help create a hive mind in your group? When we dedicate new members, we work on some games, and fun activites to get us all on the same track. What, if anything, do you do?

(I'll share ours in a bitty)
                I don't believe in the "hive" mind. That is why I struck out on my own. While it is good to find inspiration and make connections and friends, groups have a tendency to form hierarchies. In hierarchies there are rules, queens and rules.
                Step out of line, you are ostracized and rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by watersprite View Post
                  I don't believe in the "hive" mind. That is why I struck out on my own. While it is good to find inspiration and make connections and friends, groups have a tendency to form hierarchies. In hierarchies there are rules, queens and rules.
                  This is precisely why we keep our group purposefully small. We try to foster a "family" feel, and all actions are decided upon after discussion amoung the group, it's very rare that i decide something autonomously. Same thing with allowing new members in.

“I think witches, of all people, are attuned to the weird.
                  That's how we get our rep, I suppose.”
                  -snapdragon-

Comment

Originally posted by Invidosa View Post
                    This is precisely why we keep our group purposefully small. We try to foster a "family" feel, and all actions are decided upon after discussion amoung the group, it's very rare that i decide something autonomously. Same thing with allowing new members in.
                    Same thing with me. When I was asked to step up as leader of our small Grove I had a couple of conditions before accepting the role. One what that the group remain fairly small. And the other was that I was not going to be responsible for making decisions for everyone else. I wanted lots of input and discussion and a general concensus before anything was decided, including allowing new members to join. It took them awhile to get used to speaking out and having their opinions be valued (which says a lot about our previous leader, eh?) but we are doing much better as a group nowadays.

It can be a tricky balance between what is best for the group while taking individual needs into consideration. But as long as the leader is open to working things out that way, it can be done and done well.

Comment

Just my opinion...this says it as well as any other way I could...

The Crreayafth Is not Simple ;
                      It Is Not Just A Mgieck Circle ,
                      A Few Words , A Few Herbs ,
                      A Few Wietches Gathering ;

The Crreayafth Is Not Simple ;
                      It Is Not Just A Spellbook ,
                      It Is Not Just A Goddess , Or God ,
                      It Is Not Just Saying You Are A Wietch ;

The Crreayafth Is Not Simple ;
                      It Is a Dedication , A Every Day , Every Moment
                      Commitment To Learning Who / What You Are ,
                      How You Are Connected To The All ,
                      And What You May Create With That Knowledge ;

This , Is Why It Was Called The Path Of The Wise ,
                      Not The Path Of The Devoted ;

There Is The Path Of Knowledge ,
                      And There Is A Path Of Devotion ;
                      There Is The Path Of Being Under The Pantheons
                      Of Gods , And Goddesses ,
                      Or The Path Of Being One ;

In The Crreayafth Of Yore ,
                      We Spoke One Language , We Lived One Path ,
                      We Had Hive Mind ;
                      We Knew The Keys To The Humann Bio - Computer ,
                      We Knew The Ways Of Prog'raymming ,
                      And MetaProg'raymming With G'raymmaerr ;
                      We Interfaced With The Prog'raym
                      The Universal Mthtereckse Is Writ In ;
                      When Thirteen Wietches Came Together ,
                      In Circle , Thinking And Speaking , In The Old Tongue ,
                      We Were Six Past - Future Phase Couplings ,
                      Around A High Priestess ,
                      As A Common Center Of Now ;
                      There Was A Phase - Locked Feed Back Loop ,
                      Of Energy , To The Edges Of The Universe ;
                      We Were A Web Of Connection ;

And When We Circled , In Circles ,
                      At The Same Moment ,
                      We Were The Wietches' Worlds Wide Web ,
                      The Gaiaic Interface Accentuator ,
                      And We Dreamed The World Awake , Intentionally ;

We Are Off Line , As A Unity ;
                      This Is Why Religion Rules The World ,
                      Not Mgieck ;
                      Free Will Has A DarkSide :
                      Native Peoples Say : "The Law Is The Law ,
                      It Does Not Matter What People Think " ;
                      The Law Is The Interface Manual To The Universe ,
                      The One Language Prog'raym ;
                      The Law , Is The Weyyrding Wey ;

The Reason Shamen Now Take "Medicine"
                      To Interface , Is They Have Forgotten The Language ;
                      They Have A Virus , And Need It , To "Get Well" ,
                      To Connect ;
                      We Did Not Need Medicine , We Were One ;
                      There Was A Confusion Of Language ,
                      We Are Off Line As A Unity

Speaking the same Wietches' Language...(today lost by most...
                      or denying it exists...)

Unites the consciousness of a coven , via symbol shape , sound
                      and sonic , and layers of meaning...

Entrainment of individual consciousness , into hive mind...

Then , of course , eating foods grown naturally in the same area ,
                      including , of course , the honey , of that area...prepared in very
                      particular ways...with certain chants sung over them...drinking
                      water from the same well...

Modern day society disallows for most of our ancient , and most
                      effective , methodologies...one reason "magic" is now different ,
                      than it used to be...

We are not connected to the telluric , and stellar currents , as we
                      once were...as a unified circuit of energy...sad , it is...:uhhuhuh:
                      Last edited by Shawn Blackwolf; December 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by watersprite View Post
                        I'm not sure why you responded to a post about fostering a hive mind with the point that you don't believe in a hive mind. That's not really conducive to the question I asked.

That being said, I'm sorry you feel that way about hierarchies. Our coven is small, but hierarchical, and the rules we do have are written down so everyone knows what is expected of them. The rules we do have are for reasons that are easily explained. There is no queens, nor rulers. Even in non-hierarchal groups can one step out of line and be ostracized and rejected.

Like others' here, my group is decidedly small, and almost all decisions are made after discussions within the group. Its very rare that I take it upon myself to make a decision- and only when its very time sensitive or there is no way they'll agree on something. At that point I take into account all views and make the decision with the good of the group in mind (not my personal feel about the outcome).

Sometimes, things cannot be decided by the group- it would take too long. For example, we set the calendar in January for the rest of the year, so everyone knows when meetings and rituals are. I get the times of vacations of people, and I set the rest of the calendar. If we sat down and tried to discuss it, it would take a VERY long time. No one has ever had an issue with this, as the decisions are made in the best interests of the members of the group. I feel like groups with rulers/queens usually will find themselves split up, anyway. No one likes a power tripper.
                        Last edited by Ivy Artemisia; December 28th, 2008, 06:38 PM.
                        Ivy Artemisia

Comment

Ah, that's true about giving the leader iinformation about vacations and schedules and having the leader draw up the group calendar. Things can always be rescheduled or postponed if necessary, but having one person do this with the calendar is generally simplest.

Comment

Excellent post, with several things I wanted to comment on.

Originally posted by Ivy Artemisia View Post
                            Our coven is small, but hierarchical, and the rules we do have are written down so everyone knows what is expected of them. The rules we do have are for reasons that are easily explained. There is no queens, nor rulers. Even in non-hierarchal groups can one step out of line and be ostracized and rejected.
                            Definitely. I've been known to say that I really prefer a hierarchical group (as long as I have reasonable respect for the people above me in the structure!) because in my experience, many overtly non-hierarchical groups have a covert hierarchy that I find a lot more frustrating and emotionally draining to navigate.

One other thing worth noting - not everyone *wants* to be actively involved in the minutia of running a group. Some people would far rather give occasional opinions on significant issues when asked, but don't want to deal with scheduling, or sorting out a specific teaching plan, or dealing with the issues that come up in a group. They'd rather put their time and energy to other things, either in other areas of group work (like writing rituals, materials, etc. that can be done more independently) or into other areas of their lives (family, work, other interests) that take time and focus.

The group I hived from worked like that: we had a number of people interested in being actively involved with leadership (with my HPS having the final say when it was needed), but there were also initiates who were a solid presence at ritual, and who contributed in other ways, who had very little interest in the formal leadership meetings/discussions/related training.

My HPS also described our leadership approach as "We try for consensus, if we can't manage that, we aim for majority, if we can't get that, you get me making the best decision I can for the group."

Me, I sometimes summarise that as "What the individuals in the group need or want, and what's good for the group as a whole are not always the same thing: it's the HPS's job (in a priestess-lead trad like ours) to make decisions with the wellbeing of the entire group in mind. Taking advice, and listening to concerns is part of that - but it's possible that there will be decisions needed for the good of the group where there isn't a clear agreement or consensus.

And it's that part that, I think, ties in heavily to the idea of a group mind.

Like others' here, my group is decidedly small, and almost all decisions are made after discussions within the group. Its very rare that I take it upon myself to make a decision- and only when its very time sensitive or there is no way they'll agree on something. At that point I take into account all views and make the decision with the good of the group in mind (not my personal feel about the outcome).

Sometimes, things cannot be decided by the group- it would take too long. For example, we set the calendar in January for the rest of the year, so everyone knows when meetings and rituals are. I get the times of vacations of people, and I set the rest of the calendar. If we sat down and tried to discuss it, it would take a VERY long time. No one has ever had an issue with this, as the decisions are made in the best interests of the members of the group. I feel like groups with rulers/queens usually will find themselves split up, anyway. No one likes a power tripper.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Good stuff in this thread everyone. I like the idea of the water mingling and sharing ritual too.

In the last couple of groups I worked with (when I lived in Arizona and then in Minnesota) we used a circle casting procedure that was very interactive, with everyone involved in most of the steps. Basically, we used freeform chanting for calling the quarters and sometimes for calling the God and Goddess -- and having everyone involved in the chanting really helped bring us all together and fostered the group mind/spirit.

Another way that a previous startup group I worked with helped establish the group mind by having all the members work together to come up with a list of qualities for the common group mind, and then combined ideas to come up with a name for that being. Then we did rituals to help that being come into existence. Providing a symbolic object that we kept on the altar along with our God and Goddess symbols was another way to reinforce the group mind/spirit.

The more energy and intention you "feed" the group mind with the stronger and more effective it becomes. Talk about it, help it flesh out with information, identity, emotions. Show it respect. It all helps.

The book "Familiar Spirits" by Donald Tyson has lots of other good info to help with working with these sorts of spirits.

Ben Gruagach
                              MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
                              author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
                              visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
                              read my LiveJournal blog
                              find me on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X