Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monsnoleedra
    replied
    For those of you who are in groups that meet on a regular basis, do you circle at your home, or other places?
    It's been years since I was part of a formal group so most of my input is more from recall than acutal current usage.

When we did meet it was usually at the home of the lady that was our guide. Some would say HPS, we just called her mother or a guide. If not at her house then at some place selected by her which might vary in location depending upon ritual and such.

However, more often than not it was in her home or somewhere on her property. There was some variance of location also depending upon level of ritual. Some I could not attend due to being male, some because of not being high enough in level. Most of those were always in the woods though. I do recall though that the women's meetings were always after the others and there would be ladies arriving after we had finished our stuff.

Also, if you're a leader, do you use your ritual supplies for your circle, or does your group have it's own set of supplies?
    We usually provided things to support the greater group. Sometimes it would be things we were called on to collect in the woods, sometimes things we would make by hand. Occasionally an item like a candle or such that had to be purchased, but then it was given to mother and we might use it soon or use it to replace something.

The only time I really ever recall of a person usuing thier own stuff was for something of importance to them and the energy of "Their" item was of importance to the person. Main things I recall was the use of rings and placement of them or the use of certain clothing articles that were handed down through the individuals family.

I really can't speak to large formations for we never had all of the family together at one time or place. Truthfully, I really never recall more than a handful being present at any time, though that handful varied as to who actually made it up from time to time.

Strangely I, in restrospect, do not recall any formal alter at any of the gatherings. Never though about that till now. Do recall chimes in the tree's or bells but I think they were always there, never brough for the ritual or ceremonies.

Leave a comment:

• Jenett
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivy Artemisia View Post
    For those of you who are in groups that meet on a regular basis, do you circle at your home, or other places?
    Currently two people: we rotate ritual between my home and my covenmate's. (She has more space, but she also has a partner. I have less space, but no one else's schedule to worry about.) It works out remarkably well - we end up at her place when we want outside space (fenced yard) or more space to spread out, at mine the other times, and it ends up about even.

We have made a decision that as we add students, we're happy to have them host discussions or class time, but we won't allow them to host rituals until after they're initiated.

I've got a bunch of reasons for that decision - the most important one is that I think students should be able to focus on the ritual without worrying about housekeeping before or after (and should be able to take off and head home if they need to after, to decompress, rather than host). But it also means we have less concerns about a student flaking out and forgetting something, or something else going wonky - by the time they're an initiate, they'll have a good idea what's needed/involved in hosting.

Also, if you're a leader, do you use your ritual supplies for your circle, or does your group have it's own set of supplies?
    We both come from a group who had lots of (very beautiful) ritual stuff. And as much as we appreciated that, we both found it somewhat stressful - it was a lot of stuff to keep clean, to set up and take down, and all sorts of other things.

So, when I hived, I made two deliberate decisions. 1) That our set-up for ritual had to be accomplishable in under 15 minutes. And 2) That all of our ritual stuff (minus the few devotional statues we have, or very specific items, like a cauldron) had to fit in one basket.

We're doing just fine with this. It means we have one set of altar cloths, not four separate sets. (Ok, I do want a set of plain black at some point, but that's the only variant we really need still.)

I sometimes refer to this as "Leo priestess vs. Virgo priestess", somewhat jokingly - but it's true. I'm a lot more comfortable, stylistically, in a ritual practice that tends towards the natural and aescetic, rather than with lots of shiny decorative stuff. The HPS who trained both me and my covenmate is very much a Leo, and adores the shiny and sparkly and decorative. (I also live in a tiny little - 400sq ft. - house, which means accumulation of stuff is a bad idea.)

As far as items: We have coven candleholders, chalice, water container, salt container, mixing bowl, offering bowl, etc. But some things, we use whoever's place we're at - we sometimes use my chalice instead of the coven one, for example, and we generally use the incense holder of whoever is hosting, in part because it usually fits their physical altar better. Likewise, we use our own athames when needed.

In terms of paying for it - I'm HPs, and I think it is generally my responsibility to have *something* in terms of basic coven function. (Most of which I owned long before I hived - maybe not the perfect object, but something that'd do. The only major addition has been a cauldron, and I'll eventually add a sword.)

As we've accumulated a coven set of items, I've generally gone shopping or priced things out, and then talked to my covenmate - she chips in according to her ability to do so, and that's just fine. (We are also clear that a) they're coven items, but b) I'm HPS, and therefore it's my coven, so if we ever went separate ways, the items would stay with me. This is not the only way to resolve this, of course, but being clear up front is a good idea.)

As we gain more people, I'm more inclined toward "Please plan to bring a bottle of wine for ritual" or "Can you pick up some sea salt/candles/incense to add to the coven supplies?" when needed, rather than dues. But I also expect our ongoing expenses to be pretty minimal: we are not aiming at being a large group, and I'm not using *more* candle wax holding a ritual for 5 people than I am for myself, y'know?

We do have a general policy (a hold over from the group that we trained in) that if you're planning a ritual which requires materials (making something, etc.) you're expected to provide them yourself (whether that's buying them, pulling them out of your own stash, or asking people who might have stuff lying around about it.) I suspect we'll keep with that model in the long-run, because it allows people to calibrate their own finances.
    Last edited by Jenett; January 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM. Reason: a few typos

Leave a comment:

• ~Elise~
    replied
    We had 30 here for Yule and were busting at the seams...20 last night for Full Moon, more comfortable. I'll be glad when we're outside again. we do have a LARGE backyard.

Elise

Leave a comment:

• Ivy Artemisia
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Elise~ View Post

Most things are held here at the house...it is sooooooooooooooo much easier than trying to pack it all up and transport it somewhere else.

Elise
    I hear you. At the moment, Rites are usually held about an hour away, and its a pain to transport the tools, etc. But its worth it, as my home is a teeny apartment and they have an expansive backyard.

Leave a comment:

• Ivy Artemisia
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgaine_cla View Post
    Why do you ask?
    I ask because I'm interested in group dynamics. We have dues and fundraisers that go toward coven expenses, but I'm just simply curious. We usually meet at my home, or the home of other sisters (depending on the gathering).

I understand and respect your egalitarian structure with people taking turns leading circle. Our group is very different, and I appreciate your contribution to this thread. How large is your group, if you don't mind me asking? The reason I ask is that you mention "whatever works" (in regards to where you meet) and it seems that larger groups appreciate structure, especially in regards to ritual space, at least in my experience, not to suggest that you don't have structure, but I am curious.

Leave a comment:

• ~Elise~
    replied
    People chip in when they can...or donate candles, incense, etc. Over the years, I've built up a good supply of most things. Now, if it is donated...I won't use it for my personal workings.
    I do have tools that are MINE only and then there are tools that are for both. If someone else does the ritual...they usually supply what they need from their own supply, but occassionally they'll ask to use things they know I have for the group.

Most things are held here at the house...it is sooooooooooooooo much easier than trying to pack it all up and transport it somewhere else.

Elise

Leave a comment:

• Morgaine_cla
    replied
    Feeding the Masses

Greetings,

Of course, we're not very typical, but our Groves meet wherever works -- sometimes at someone's home, but more often outdoors either on public or private property (with permission, of course) according to best opportunity.

We don't believe in subsidizing other people's spiritual quests. It's hard enough for people to pay their own ways, let alone carry other people. Grove training is free, but we require Grove members to chip in on all Grove expenses, as well as helping with set-up/strike for events.

We avoid having one perpetual group leader. Once all the members are properly trained up, w
    e prefer to rotate this duty. Work shared equally is easy. Other methods seem to lead to the same people doing everything. When they burn out, you're left with the people who wouldn't do anything to start with... which ultimately results in a cycle of degradation in which each generation of mentors is less motivated and experienced than the last. Rotation avoids burnout and encourages members to stick with it since they know they will have their moment in the limelight (so to speak).

Why do you ask?

Leave a comment:

• Ivy Artemisia
    started a topic Covensteads and Ritual Supplies

Covensteads and Ritual Supplies

For those of you who are in groups that meet on a regular basis, do you circle at your home, or other places? Also, if you're a leader, do you use your ritual supplies for your circle, or does your group have it's own set of supplies?
Working...
X