Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should one do a spell to benefit someone else without there knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wytchie
    I personally wouldn't do a spell without permission, but I don't see any harm in sending positive energies...I know in a way it is sort of the same thing, but I suppose I make the difference because whilst you can sort of 'explain away' sending energies as a positive wish or whatever, a lot of people just seem to have a bit of difficulty accepting the word 'spell'...there are still so many negative connotations to it in the public mind, I know a few people who would be freaked out if I said I had done a spell for them no matter how much I might tell them that it was positive lol :kooky:

Also I do have some catholics in my family, who would not like it just because they see anything related to 'THE OCCULT' (DUHDUHDUHDUHHHHH )as negative and would not want to be associated with anything vaguely occult because they are afraid their big guy upstairs wouldn't like it lol...although my sister is Catholic and didn't mind me doing a healing spell for her, so I guess it is a very personal thing whether people object or not.

Having said that though, it seems to be totally acceptable for Christians to say prayers for us without our permission, so I guess you could look on it as a Pagan version of that? At the end of the day as my 'topic line' says I'm a doomed fence sitter on this one because I can kind of see both sides lol , although in practice I tend to err on the side of caution and get permission.
    BB
    Wytchie

Valid points. The key difference lies in the theological principles of christianity versus paganism/witchcraft (yeah, I know that paganism and witchcraft ain't the same).

Christians generally believe they are of a lesser quality than their divine entity. As such, their prayers are supplications of a greater being to intervene in circumstances "beyond their control". There's no personal responsibility or initiative beyond the original request for help. Even each of the subsequent prayers only involves a small amount of personal energy, the divine energy is expected to do the work.

Pagans/Reikists/Witches/etc. believe they possess personal power that can be expended to affect direct change in their surroundings. Dieties are viewed more as sages and archetypes to be referenced for guidance. In some instances, especially in major healings, personal energy is incompatible or not sufficient to affect the desired change. In those cases, herbs and gems or other means are employed to add their own natural energies to the "spell". Each of these three types of people, and the many others out there that I've not listed, assumes a personal responsibility for their energetic role in their environment. As part of their assumed responsibility for studying and weilding greater influence, these practioners must use their gifts more wisely.

Life emulates life: Run an AC current through a DC circuit and you'll burn them both out; Send an unwelcome or incompatible energy to someone and you risk greater damage to both than may be suffered by one...

There is no simple answer to your question. Being an earth sign myself, I'm more sensitive to energy fluctuations and unhealthy presences. As a result, I excercise more restraint in these matters.

E.

Comment

I used to think everyone should be free to fulfill their destiny and learn the lessons that they need to. They may need to experience hardship to learn the lesson. We have no right to interfere with their growth. That is what I used to believe.

But though I believed that, I rarely practiced that. I always helped people whenever I could, even at risk to my own wellbeing. Maybe by doing so I am interfering with their destiny, I don't know. But I think that in most cases, if you can help, you should help. However, as has been said earlier in this thread, a case by case basis is probably best. And as always, every reaction has a reaction so make sure that you're willing to face the reaction that your action causes.
      The monkey formerly known as semicivilizedman.

Comment

Yes....one should.....isnt that what prayer is?
        Life is Pain, Pain is Knowledge, Knowledge is Life

Comment

I think prayer is beseeching an entity to enable some effect. Casting a spell would be doing it yourself. In my opinion, anyway.
          The monkey formerly known as semicivilizedman.

Comment

Originally posted by semicivilizedman
            I think prayer is beseeching an entity to enable some effect. Casting a spell would be doing it yourself. In my opinion, anyway.
            If only I had the power to do these things alone....I would BE god

Nice to think on anyway
            Life is Pain, Pain is Knowledge, Knowledge is Life

Comment

I think of spells as souped-up prayer, more or less, with a lot of one's own power thrown in - this is what makes it so markedly UN-Christian. I think that as Pagans (&c.) we need to leave behind our Christian-based preconceptions, which I personally am finding rampant throughout Pagan(&c)dom.

Comment

just because we think something is beneficial doesn't necessarily make it so.. it is in our nature though to want to do what we can to protect those we love and to make sure they never have to endure things that we see as bad.. if you feel you need to do a spell for someone elses benefit always add a part that leaves it open.. eg) ending it with the words 'as the goddess/universe etc see's fit, so mote it be'.. that way if there is a bigger picture that we are not seeing forces greater then ourselves will make sure things go forth as needed and the person will still learn/experience what they were supposed to..
                if we make a spell absolute there is no telling what damage we can cause or what lessons will be lost because of our intervention even though it has been done with the best of intentions.. some people only learn by experience...

Comment

I'm in the no camp....... intention and outcome are two different things. what we think or feel is good for someone else may not be........action without conscent is stealing anothers will .... it's forceing our ideas of right wrong... good or bad on them ..... besides you invite harm to yourself.... remember what you send comes back in threes.... even if your intentions were good..... if harm resulted from the charm, spell or prayer you will reap the harm not the good intentions......... magic does not have a gray area
                  Icon Photo Gallery

Comment

I have, it was a protection spell for my sister n law while she was in iraq for a year. She came back unharmed, physically anyways.

Comment

Add "with harm to none, for the good of all" to your magic. If the energy is not meant for your recipient, let it go to whoever most needs it. The universe can always find use for love and healing.
                      My Online Journal

Comment

Working...
                      X