Repetition in ritual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repetition in ritual

Ritual often involves many repetitive elements. You could say that ritual is repetitive by nature. What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of these repetitive elements. I can see both the pros and the cons and I'm unsure where I stand.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

I think the pro part of it is like with a recipe.... If you make it the same way your sure to know that it will turn out right
    (once you master it of course) the con part is sometimes (almost always) a little bit of change can/might improve it as well as destroy it...

like most things takes several errors to perfect it.. like making divinity fudge!
    (extremely hard to make no matter how many times you have made it, the slightest thing can cause failure!)
    [SIGPIC] Kim

Comment

Advantages to repetition:
      Gives you a framework to fall back on when things get stressful.
      You can plan easier even when life is busy.
      Like breathing exercises, it can help you relax.

Disadvantages:
      Can hinder creativity.
      Can make one question if they are actually worship/honoring/working the divine or simply repeating a habit.
      If life makes it more difficult to obtain or do part of the ritual, someone may feel guilty for no longer doing things "correctly" (IE, someone who always utilized their garden outside lost their house and moved into a city apartment and can't do anything anymore)

As Kmartin said, it's like a recipe. You know you want a cake, and in order to bake it you have to have a few staples, but you can customize it as the whim and tastebuds dictate.

I think having a loose outline or framework is important. Know what you want to accomplish with the ritual, and how you want to do it. Much of life is repetitive, every day has a "beginning, middle, end", and ritual is the same.

It also depends on what you are repeating. If you have a particular chant or saying for say, calling the quarters, that can be helpful if you are a procrastinator and just plug it in and move onto the "fun" aspects of the ritual. On the other hand, if you are only repeating that chant or saying because it was the first one you heard and you haven't researched others that you may find a better fit, that is not quite as helpful. If you are repeating an element of ritual as a way to connect it to the other rituals throughout the year, then that's good. If you are repeating that element even when it doesn't fit with the working (ie, only using one type of incense because you didn't research each sabbat, etc) then that's not helping you.

Ultimately, if you have a purpose for the repetition, and know why you are doing it, then that's perfectly fine. If you are doing it simply because, then you might want to look deeper into the ritual and examine *why*.
      Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
      my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Comment

Originally posted by Sollie View Post
        Advantages to repetition:
        Gives you a framework to fall back on when things get stressful.
        You can plan easier even when life is busy.
        Like breathing exercises, it can help you relax.

Disadvantages:
        Can hinder creativity.
        Can make one question if they are actually worship/honoring/working the divine or simply repeating a habit.
        If life makes it more difficult to obtain or do part of the ritual, someone may feel guilty for no longer doing things "correctly" (IE, someone who always utilized their garden outside lost their house and moved into a city apartment and can't do anything anymore)

As Kmartin said, it's like a recipe. You know you want a cake, and in order to bake it you have to have a few staples, but you can customize it as the whim and tastebuds dictate.

I think having a loose outline or framework is important. Know what you want to accomplish with the ritual, and how you want to do it. Much of life is repetitive, every day has a "beginning, middle, end", and ritual is the same.

It also depends on what you are repeating. If you have a particular chant or saying for say, calling the quarters, that can be helpful if you are a procrastinator and just plug it in and move onto the "fun" aspects of the ritual. On the other hand, if you are only repeating that chant or saying because it was the first one you heard and you haven't researched others that you may find a better fit, that is not quite as helpful. If you are repeating an element of ritual as a way to connect it to the other rituals throughout the year, then that's good. If you are repeating that element even when it doesn't fit with the working (ie, only using one type of incense because you didn't research each sabbat, etc) then that's not helping you.

Ultimately, if you have a purpose for the repetition, and know why you are doing it, then that's perfectly fine. If you are doing it simply because, then you might want to look deeper into the ritual and examine *why*.
        I agree. In fact you said all that I was going to say.
        I was brought up in the Catholic Church which kind of turned me against ritual. I rediscovered it's worth as a pagan and perhaps even more so as a Satanist. But I'll admit to being slightly OCD about not letting it become "just because". The just because elements remind me of my childhood distaste for ritual and makes my mind wonder so that the purpose and power of the ritual gets lost.
        😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Comment

Working...
        X