Moonshine Libtaions and Consecrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonshine Libtaions and Consecrations

I practice Appalachian witchcraft, and that involves from time to time the use of moonshine in ritual instead of Mead or wine.
    Who else uses moonshine for such purposes?
    It is rather simple, you charge it by the moon and doctor(flavor) it for its intended purpose.
    Consult your existing herbal and fruit correspondences.

Here are some good ones though, of these Sassafras is my favorite, but Fireball is pretty darn good, and Peach s my least favorite.
    You can try Orange for mercury but you might have trouble getting the consistency right.

Clear Moonshine is attributed to Lunae
    Peach Moonshine is attributed to Mercury
    Strawberry and Cherry Moonshine is attributed to Venus
    Apple Pie Moonshine is attributed to Sol
    Fireball Moonshine is attributed to Mars
    Sassafras/Rootbeer Moonshine is attributed to Jupiter
    Blackberry Moonshine is attributed to Saturn

Spirits are to be distilled in the day and hour of Lunae under the full moon.
    spirits are to be flavored on either the day of the Lunae, hour of their respective planet
    or the day and hour of their respective planet.
    Last edited by Humming Bird; December 17th, 2016, 03:44 PM.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Are these libations used by all Appalachian witches or is this practice tailored to your own individual path?

Comment

d'oh i thought i had fixed that to libations.

Appalachian practitioners are very different, depending on region and how they were taught. I wouldn't say there is any one thing we all do however there are common bits of lore that go around and we often like to fry up many of the same greens. Moonshine, just as anything had its witching purpose. The idea that spirits (alcohol) ease you up and help you work with spirits isn't new, it's part of Appalachian lore and in the mountains that often meant moonshine. Though these particular correspondences are my own, those of others may differ. For example I've seen people associate Sassafras to Saturn. It may seem strange that we are talking astrology here but have you ever looked at the old farmers almanac? planting by and working with the signs is a mountain tradition though most likely wouldn't be so accurate down to the planetary hour as I am.

Appalachia is a place of micro-climates do to varied elevation and the people there are the same way. You get pockets of culture and stories specific to given stretch of mountain. There are traditions that though they very slightly are shared among many practitioners despite their religious paradigm being very different. Many are christian and would never call themselves witches though they still engage in mountain culture. Others are atheist or indifferent. I myself am Cherokee and practice the ways of my tribe which also gives me more of a ceremonial influence as well right long the folk practices. Most mountain workers aren't very ceremonial or ritualistic in any form. I differ in that way because my culture incorporates both ceremony and practical everyday application.

so no they aren't used by all... just the ones who use libations or consecrated liquor and have a taste for the good stuff

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I lived in WV for 4 years so I have a pretty good grip on Appalachian culture.

As an aside, your practices contradict the stereotype of Native Americans not being able to hold their "firewater." :0)

Comment

Originally posted by SalixIncendium View Post
          Thanks for the insight. I lived in WV for 4 years so I have a pretty good grip on Appalachian culture.

As an aside, your practices contradict the stereotype of Native Americans not being able to hold their "firewater." :0)
          What those stories fail to tell you is that we'll drink a quart at a time and are usually drinking twice the proof of our non-native peers

There's also the stereotype that we can, we just can't win either way.
          From my experience we usually stay verbally lucid and able to express thoughts clearly even when we are drunk.

Comment

Working...
          X