How do I find a familiar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find a familiar?

How do I find out what my spirit animal/familiar/guide/whatever you like to call it?
    I'm in need of guidance, but the only animal I feel "close" with is my stepmoms schizo cat Sebastian, who I only get to see every other weekend. -_-
    Is there any way to sort of like, search my subconcious to find it?
    (If you're thinking hypnosis, no one in my area practices/is trustworthy or experienced in it, but I'm reading a book on hypnosis and it tells how to do SELF hypnosis..theres a lot of self doubt about it though...)
    You dont know me.
    Thats good, because I didn't expect you to.

Everything I say is with everlasting love for my dearest Lithium.

Kaia Doralee Hortman; never fear, child on paper, for I will remember you even when he forgets.

Originally posted by CindersArsenic View Post
    How do I find out what my spirit animal/familiar/guide/whatever you like to call it?
    I'm in need of guidance, but the only animal I feel "close" with is my stepmoms schizo cat Sebastian, who I only get to see every other weekend. -_-
    Is there any way to sort of like, search my subconcious to find it?
    (If you're thinking hypnosis, no one in my area practices/is trustworthy or experienced in it, but I'm reading a book on hypnosis and it tells how to do SELF hypnosis..theres a lot of self doubt about it though...)
    Honestly, your list (IMHO) is of all different beings, not on in the same. A spirit animal is a spiritual (aka- not physically real), being. These can change over time.

A familiar is a live animal that you have a bond with. This is, stereotypically, a cat. On of my familiars is my cat Pika, and the other is my iguana Leon. Some people don't have familiars, and some come to find that there's is "weird." You don't really find your familiar, they find you. I say this, because I have a lot of cats (live on a farm), and Pika is the only one I connect with.

A spirit guide is just a spirit that guides you. For some it's a dead relative, a random spirit, etc. These also can change over time. You should be able to search the forum for some meditation recommendations.

Good luck.
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

The best way to find a familiar, IMO, is to go to your local animal shelter, find a critter with whom you resonate somehow, and take the poor little beastie home with you. Love them, cherish them, and you will form a bond in no time.

Or, sometimes it can just happen out of the blue. You never know when a stray animal might happen across your path in need of help, and end up staying. A good friend of mine met his familiar while driving to New Orleans. (His familiar was a frog whom he almost ran over. Swampy is no longer with us, but he is still much loved.)
      My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

Comment

I think your familiar will find you, somehow. Mine ran up to me when she was 12 weeks old, clawed her way up to my shoulder and refused to budge. She fell asleep and I instantly felt I couldn't be parted from her so I took her home.

Darth's idea of going to the local animal shelter is a good one. You will look at an animal and just know.

Let us know how you get on.

nesta

No man is so good as to be free of evil, nor so bad as to be worth nothing.
        Norse Proverb

The coward believes he will live forever, if he holds back in the battle, but in old age he shall have no peace.
        Norse Proverb

Comment

well the only animals that i really sort of 'resonate' so far with is cats and sometimes horses and donkeys. (i freaking LOVE donkeys!!! >:D)
          sebastian the cat is sort of a familiar i GUESS, but he's not that responsive and likes to bark/meow at moths.
          but i will go to a shelter sometime soon after i move out and get an adorable little kitten!!! :D
          3 1/2 more years left ;w;
          You dont know me.

Kaia Doralee Hortman; never fear, child on paper, for I will remember you even when he forgets.

Comment

well the only animals that i really sort of 'resonate' so far with is cats and sometimes horses and donkeys. (i freaking LOVE donkeys!!! >:D)
            Me too! I love donkeys!
            My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

Comment

sebastian the cat is sort of a familiar i GUESS, but he's not that responsive and likes to bark/meow at moths.
              but i will go to a shelter sometime soon after i move out and get an adorable little kitten!!! :D
              3 1/2 more years left ;w;

I adore donkeys too. I have two foster donkeys at a sanctuary. One day I will have donkeys of my own! :uhhuhuh:

nesta

No man is so good as to be free of evil, nor so bad as to be worth nothing.
              Norse Proverb

The coward believes he will live forever, if he holds back in the battle, but in old age he shall have no peace.
              Norse Proverb

Comment

There are many different definitions of familiar. A "familiar spirit" is a spirit guide, usually in the form of a person and not an animal and are traditionally an ancestor. With this type of familiar, they usually find you and not the other way around, but they can be sought out in the spirit world or granted to you by a deity.

An animal guide is the spirit of an animal that will help you in your spiritual path and your workings. This is not a physical animal, but a spirit, it can be housed in a fetish on your person or altar or in a statue, skull, or bag of bones of the animal. You can have more than one animal guide - most shamans had multiples, but one main one they worked and identified with the most.

An animal familiar is a real animal in our world that you bind to yourself. The most traditional method is by feeding a young animal your own blood (you can slip it into their food) and performing a ritual to seal the bond. This is a heavy responsibility as unlike the spirit animal this one is a pet and must be fed and cared for, taken to the vet, and given lots of attention and bonding time. A pet that simply has a bond with you and follows you around is not your familiar, they are just a pet.

Keep in mind that no matter what type of familiar you have, they must be treated well, given offerings, thanks and attention. If you ignore your familiar they can turn on you reversing your luck, your spells and causing strife and mischief. Be prepared for the long-term responsibility when you take on a familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                  I adore donkeys too. I have two foster donkeys at a sanctuary. One day I will have donkeys of my own! :uhhuhuh:
                  Donkeys are one of the main reasons why I want to move to Santorini in Greece in old age there are a gazillion (well maybe not THAT much, but theres a lot) donkeys on that little tiny island!!!

Originally posted by Deerwoman
                  There are many different definitions of familiar. A "familiar spirit" is a spirit guide, usually in the form of a person and not an animal and are traditionally an ancestor. With this type of familiar, they usually find you and not the other way around, but they can be sought out in the spirit world or granted to you by a deity.
                  How do you go to the spirit world and seek one out? Via astral projection or what?
                  You dont know me.

Comment

Donkeys are one of the main reasons why I want to move to Santorini in Greece in old age there are a gazillion (well maybe not THAT much, but theres a lot) donkeys on that little tiny island!!!

How do you go to the spirit world and seek one out? Via astral projection or what?
                    I did a quick forum search. Didn't take long. http://www.witchscauldron.net/cauldron/animal.htm
                    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

Its hard to add anything after Deerwoman and Darth have spoken...because they are both quite wise....

but this....

I think familiars are like lovers in that ithere is some 'kismet' element to it and some 'proximity'

my current familar, Bodkin, i didn't really 'pick out' ...she came as a 'job lot' with her mom and cousin/sister (who knows)...because i couldn't leave any of them, as all three were clearly starving to death.... but one day Bodkin and i were talking, and we descided we would 'take each other' and be special friends...

so there we are... she's my special girl now... and i am hers... sometimes i think with a familiar it takes nothing more than saying "I open myself to you are you are as you are...." 9which is really a lot like loving a person I figure) Animals are really good at picking up on that and replying "Alrighty.. then i'll take you."
                      Mitakuye Oyasin

Comment

If you are not a practicing shaman or hedge witch, one who can walk between worlds, then this is not the option to choose to obtain a familiar spirit. It takes a lot of training and experience to move between worlds and when starting out a "spotter" is necessary. Other options would be to pray to your diety and ask them to send you a familiar spirit to help you along your spiritual path and in your magic - if you cannot see or talk to spirits, this may not be the best option either. In this case I would invite one of your ancestors to be your guide- someone who took care of you when they were alive, or at least an ancestor you identify with. Make them a home on your altar that they can reside in when visiting you, do not bind them to it as they will be much more helpful if not forced to stay with you and help you, but instead come when called. Visualizations are helpful for finding animal guides, but do not tend to work for spirit guides.

If you have been working magic for a while now, then it is most likely that benevolent spirits have already found you and hover around you when you do your workings. When you perform magic, you send out a signal to the otherworld which spirits and deities can see and be drawn to. If you cannot see or hear the spirits, then use tarot cards or another divination method to talk to them and see if they are there and why and if they are willing to aid you in your spellwork.
                        Last edited by Deerwoman; May 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X