Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magpie Lore

Hello all,

In England there is something of a Tradition in Greeting or Saluting a Solitary magpie upon espying One.

There's a Number of Magpie Verses or Rhymes the most memorable here being;

One for sorrow Two for joy Three for a girl Four for a boy Five for silver Six for gold Seven for a secret, never to be told Eight for a wish Nine for a kiss Ten for a bird you must not miss An older version of the same;

One for sorrow, Two for luck; (variant mirth) Three for a wedding, Four for death; (variant birth) Five for silver, Six for gold; Seven for a secret, Not to be told; Eight for heaven, Nine for hell And ten for the devil's own self!
    Evidently the Magpie is a Corvid and of course The Crow Family is large and Diverse. With associations ranging from the Ravens of the Tower of London to a Crow being one form taken by the Morrigan.

My Question is regarding magpie lore in particular. Quiet aside from the common superstition of saluting magpies , I find quiet a difficulty in gaining any research into what would appear to be now lost Magpie lore. So if anyone can enlighten me on these magical creatures and their place in either Wicca or Paganism I would consider it most helpful and be very thankful.

Best Wishes Neville
    We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
    We are spiritual beings having a human experience.

- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Working...
X