Charge of the Goddess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge of the Goddess

I have found 3 different Charge of the Goddess. I thought there was only one. Is this something one writes for themselves?
    paeten
    which witch?

Yup some people write their own versions, same with the Rede.

Comment

what is a Charge of the Goddess?
      "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
      We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

Comment

Lots of versions......

There are some written for specific goddesses (i have a really nice one for Bridgid)........others are just about how they feel about the goddess.......

choose whatever's right for you, or go with all of them......i love reading them..........
        Underneath your clothes
        There's an endless story
        There's the man I chose
        There's my territory
        And of all the things
        I deserve
        For being such
        A good girl honey

Comment

I believe the original 'Charge of the Goddess' was written by Doreen Valiente many years ago. It's a very beautiful poem. The first time I read it, I just started crying. I have printed out the different versions when I find them. I keep them in a binder with other poetry that I find meaningful and read through it when I get the urge.

A lot of people have a tendency to write their own version. I've even written one myself. Here is a site with several different versions plus a lot of other good stuff:

http://www.oakgrove.org/GreenPages/bos

Just scroll down until you find it listed. There's a lot of stuff there but it's in semi-alphabetical order.
          Wild is my heart, As wild as the night, It beats in time, With the wild swan's flight. . .

Comment

Great link!

Comment

Eeluna,
              What a great site. Thanks for the link!! You all should check it out if you haven't.
              paeten
              which witch?

Comment

yeah, really cool link!

the original of the 'Charge of the Goddess' was written by C.G Leyland in 1890 and appeared in his marvelous book 'Aradia'.
                Doreen Valiente elaborated on this in her version of the 'Charge' in (i believe) the 50's. there are quite a number of variations, most of which are based (sometimes rather loosely!) on Leyland's original.
                the 'Charge of the God' came about later (the 70's?).
                some people are like slinkies -
                not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Comment

I usually use a part of The Charge of the Goddess in my sig line but I am giving it a break. I was treated like a sheep yesterday until I started butting heads and showed them I am a goat!

That amazing link went into my bookmarks

I was looking for a newbie to the boards thread...maybe I'll have to start another(!)one

Comment

Working...
                  X