Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book of Shadows.... Handwritten or Typed?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book of Shadows.... Handwritten or Typed?

Alright, I've been considering starting my book of shadows.. but I hate to handwrite things.. Now from what I understand about the book of shadows, is that it's just a place for you to keep yourself semi-organized. A place to keep a record of all of your magical workings for future reference. Something like a magical diary of sorts.

Now my question is:

Does it matter to you whether it is hand written in a book or typed up and held in a computer?
    Hand Writen
    45.16%
    Typed
    16.59%
    Doesn't matter depends on mood.
    38.25%

personally, i prefer mine handwritten because it seems more personal to me. But thats just my view, i know someone who prefered hers typed. I guess it depends on the individual.
    sigpic

please click my eggs and baby dragons

Comment

I just posted my answer to this a couple hours ago - http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=180341
      Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Comment

I love to type. Ever since I found my grandmother's typewriter as a kid I've looked for any excuse I could find to type things. Right now, I'm editing a novel, and I'm retying each successive draft. That's how much I love it. So, for me, typing my Witch's Almanac is a meditation.

Other people much prefer the personal touch of writing it by hand. Motive probably plays a big part. If you type because you're crazy about typing, more power to you. If you type because you just don't feel like putting in the work that hand-writing will take, then maybe you need to hand-write it, for the discipline.

But there's no rule saying that your BoS has to be one way or the other. Unless you come from a tradition that has a rule about that. Then, you know...there's a rule. :weirdsmil
        If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
        helps you feel your life protects you,
        cradles you and connects you to everything.
        Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

It depends on the situation, I have a fondness for looseleaf binders, they can be rearranged at will and I have two, one is a main book of shadows and the other is a ritual guild called Casting Shadows that had nice large print that can be easily read by candle light.

It also depend upon your handwriting. some people have pretty handwriting and some don't. I sure don't!! Early in my journey I was hand copying a book of shadows that a priestess had then I learned that it was the Lady Sheba one and I abandoned the copy job pretty fast.

barring rules in your trad I think it is personal preference really. I know some people are using the scrapbooking fashion to construct gorgeous books of shadows, I'm intrigued but I'm not that kind of crafty and I think it'd look like a kid put it together if I tried.

Perfectionism rears it's ugly head!

Comment

I prefer handwritten, it feels more personal and like I've put my own personal energy into making my BOS.
            [urlt]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=516159344[/url]

Comment

I like both. For my personal use I write mine out and for the ones I am making my kids it is typed because I do not think that would be able to read my handwriting :D
              SilverClawStudio on Facebook

Comment

I type. I type everything! Odd, I'm a writer but I really hate hand-writing. I've thought that maybe I am just lazy, but at the same time, I just don't see the point of hand-writing anything now-a-days. I do print what I type, and put it in a binder, but that's just to avoid the possibility of losing everything when my laptop catches fire. :D Lets hope not!
                sigpic

Comment

handwritten seems to put you more in connection to the paper, the words the ideas, the intention....

but that's just my opine.
                  Mitakuye Oyasin

Comment

Its up to you. Some people prefer typing, others writing, and even more (like myself) prefer to do both. It really depends on yourself and what makes you feel comfortable.
                    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
                    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Comment

I've tried both and I prefer to keep my book handwritten. I can tell a lot about what kind of a mental state I was in when I wrote an entry by the characteristics of my handwriting. It helps me to be able to read the words, but to also have this little insight into what was going on behind them at the time.

Comment

I've been thinking that it'd be great to have both. I really like to have the ease of changing a typed book, but I'd like it feel even more like it's "mine", so I'm really considering creating my own handwriting font on fontifier.com and then using that. Sorta the best of both worlds.
                        sigpic

Comment

If I want to write legibly, it takes forever to write one page, and after one page, my wrist is aching. That being said ,I have four journals handwritten with notes, spells, rituals, insights etc. These journals are great, but I cannot rearrange or organize them. And four journals in- I can't remember which book a specific bit of info is in.

I also have a few large binders. My groups rituals are all typed up, and so is our groups reference BOS, as well as the handouts for our dedicant classes- so a lot of my info is typed up and printed out. I think the key to typing is to actually print it out. I would love to have a database with all my info cross referenced, but I know that computers often crash, and then I'd be left with nothing.

Any personal work, is handwritten in my BOS. I just feel like thats "right" for me. Any group info is typed to share. Maybe someday I'll re-write all of my BOS's and find a system easier to organize, but it really is neat when you are reading some 10-year old journalling that you did in your own handwriting.
                          Ivy Artemisia
                          Twilight Spiral Coven [Site | Facebook]
                          Hearth and Hedgerow [Site | Etsy Shop]

Comment

I do both. But whenever I type something on the computer I then have to print it out and glue it in to my BOS, which is a sketch book. And that gets messy. Also the book has no lines so when I write sometimes the lines that start out good and then progressively become slanted :weirdsmil.

Ah well, maybe in 200 years my desendants will find the book in the attic and regard it as a very authentic-looking magical tome :bigblue: (joke).
                            Softly cross your fingers at the Witching Hour;
                            Over fates and fortunes the moon will give you power.

Comment

Well...after writing 9000 pages by hand...

And , typing thousands of pages in posts...

I can tell you this...as typing is a linear
                              operation...vertical , or horizontal...

And , at least my writing style , is highly
                              cursive...not for those print style...

I have registered a most definite difference ,
                              in the charge effect , and state of consciousness ,
                              when I use handscript...

I may place more energy , both psychic , and astral ,
                              into the words , when I do so...let alone , my hand
                              moving over the paper , the interchange on the
                              atomic , and subatomic levels...

And , if I mix my own inks ?

Use a Quill pen ?

Use my blood ,. mixed with the ink ?

My sperm ?

Remember...your Book of Shadows...

How much energy , do YOU wish to put into it ???

A computer cannot do this...hands on...count the vote...

Comment

Working...
                              X