Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God and Goddess

HI!

I am relatively new to Wicca and I have a question thats been bugging me for a while and I hope one of you can answer it for me.

Lots of threads I have read say that you should only "accept" the areas of Wicca etc. that you feel comfortable with. I am very uncomfortable with the idea of any sort of God whatever the gender. Seeing as this idea is an integeral part of Wicca does the comfortable "rule" apply to this?

I simply believe there is a natural balance between all of nature. Does this contradict the idea of Wicca?

Sorry if this seems nieve but it is something I have been struggling with and it has really stunted my progression. Thanks a lot.
    http://www.DaveTunisia.com -

In my opinion, wicca by its definition incorporates a male and female godhead aspect. I personally cannot comprehend being wiccan without having the Goddess present...nor the God. Of, course, however, I am eclectic...therefore, I do believe in and 'look to' any and all entities that can help me with any situation.
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything." ~~ Edward John Philips, 1822-1900

http://groups.msn.com/EllegonsGrove

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I would also like some more opinions on this. What you are basically telling me is to give up and go home and I can't accept what you are saying. Fair enough you have your own opinion but does every Wiccan believe this?

Comment

Originally posted by WiccaWanderer
        HI!

I am relatively new to Wicca and I have a question thats been bugging me for a while and I hope one of you can answer it for me.

Lots of threads I have read say that you should only "accept" the areas of Wicca etc. that you feel comfortable with. I am very uncomfortable with the idea of any sort of God whatever the gender. Seeing as this idea is an integeral part of Wicca does the comfortable "rule" apply to this?

I simply believe there is a natural balance between all of nature. Does this contradict the idea of Wicca?

Sorry if this seems nieve but it is something I have been struggling with and it has really stunted my progression. Thanks a lot.
        Hallo WiccaWanderer. The fact that you "believe in a natural balance between all of nature", must mean that you "see"/"feel" the male and female energies that abound in nature. Some people put names and identities to these energies and call them Gods/Goddess. You just haven't formulated identities with these energies, that's all. Maybe you will one day, or maybe you won't feel the need to, either way, your no less a spiritual seeker for all that, who seems to be following the Wiccan Way.

So many traditions overlap or become blurred around the edges, that it's becoming increasingly difficult to put labels on people's beliefs, and perhaps that's a good thing. If you believe in you heart of hearts that you are Wiccan, then you are, and no one can tell you anything different.
        BB Silverwitch

"Regret for things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for things we did not do that is inconsolable."

Comment

What you are basically telling me is to give up and go home ...
          WoW...

I don't think that is what Ellegon was saying at all. They were simply offering an opinion, their opinion...

...that is what you are looking for, isn't it?

~ew

Comment

Let it be said that I agree with both Silverwitch and Eaglewolf...are ye cornfuselled yet?
            "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything." ~~ Edward John Philips, 1822-1900

http://groups.msn.com/EllegonsGrove

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I would also like some more opinions on this. What you are basically telling me is to give up and go home and I can't accept what you are saying. Fair enough you have your own opinion but does every Wiccan believe this?
              Give up and go home? Nope, keep your beliefs near and dear to you and continue with them. Not everyone has gods or goddesses, I am one of those folks. This does not diminish your beliefs or make them any less than mine, they are different, that's all. There are many fine folks here with beliefs that are generally close to each other, but the specifics are different.

The only advice I really give you is to avoid any belief that says it is the "only" path and has the only answers. that will lead you down a very narrow way that usually has a bad ending. This is my opinion and my belief, you are free to make of it as you will.
              "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!"
              How we deal with death and loss is just as important as how we deal with life and success.
              BlueCat's Den

Comment

Thanks for the replies I feel much better for hearing the opinions. And sorry if came accross wrong replying to Ellegon's post I didn't mean what I said in a destructive way.

Thanks!

Comment

Dont jump on my back all of you, but let me enter in another view:

Maybe you are not Wiccan. Maybe you are just following Your Path. You dont have to be a Wiccan to be a Pagan or to follow Your Path.

Now, I am not saying you are NOT a Wiccan. Merely pointing out the option of interpretation.
                  mol

sitegod/system_Administrator/founder/member/engineer/enigma

Comment

Originally posted by mol
                    How about I just jump on your band wagon...

...and agree.

~ew

Comment

Originally posted by mol

Maybe you are not Wiccan. Maybe you are just following Your Path. You dont have to be a Wiccan to be a Pagan or to follow Your Path.

Now, I am not saying you are NOT a Wiccan. Merely pointing out the option of interpretation.
                      Good point, mol.

Steve
                      "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!"
                      How we deal with death and loss is just as important as how we deal with life and success.
                      BlueCat's Den

Comment

I can add to this and ask, "what is it that makes a Wiccan a Wiccan, rather than just Pagan??"

Is it the belief in a Goddess/God? Is it the Rede? Is it the 3-fold law?

Not every Wiccan I know believes in a Deity.... I've heard somone call herself an athiestic Wiccan. But I also know a self proclaimed athiestic Jew. So maybe being Wiccan is more about lifestyle -- following the rede, and 3 fold law.
                        However, I know some Wiccans don't follow the Rede, (some Gardnerian's for example) because their tradition existed before the Rede.

There are so many Wiccan traditions out there, an so many different ways of doing things....however, they must all agree on at least something, otherwise they wouldn't all be Wiccan.

So what is it???
                        To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater. - Bono

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst Rose
                          I can add to this and ask, "what is it that makes a Wiccan a Wiccan, rather than just Pagan??"

Is it the belief in a Goddess/God? Is it the Rede? Is it the 3-fold law?

Not every Wiccan I know believes in a Deity.... I've heard somone call herself an athiestic Wiccan. But I also know a self proclaimed athiestic Jew. So maybe being Wiccan is more about lifestyle -- following the rede, and 3 fold law.

=====================================
                          However, I know some Wiccans don't follow the Rede, (some Gardnerian's for example) because their tradition existed before the Rede.
                          =====================================

There are so many Wiccan traditions out there, an so many different ways of doing things....however, they must all agree on at least something, otherwise they wouldn't all be Wiccan.

So what is it???
                          Erm, Gardenarians did not exist before the Rede ... don't get me started .... Hehehehehehehehehe
                          Last edited by bluecat; March 24th, 2001, 06:11 PM.
                          BlueCat's Den

Comment

the rede

Yeah.... this is something we could go round and round and round on. I know that there is a lot of controversy about it.
                            I base my information off of a wonderful site that did extensive research into the Rede. And their conclusion was that the Rede became a Wiccan thing in the 70's when it was published in Green Egg Magazine.
                            HOWEVER. I realize that many people say that the Rede was written way way way before that.
                            I don't know, I wasn't there..... I just like to keep it safe and follow the best evidence .

And yes.... I do know some Gardnerians who do not practice the rede because THEY SAY it wasn't around when they're traditions started.

Again....I dont' know. I wasn't there

Here's the site: http://pagan.drak.net/sheathomas/
                            Last edited by Amethyst Rose; March 24th, 2001, 06:41 PM.
                            To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater. - Bono

Comment

Oh, and taking from your message....

Is it your opinion that it is the Rede which makes a wiccan, Wiccan???

Comment

Working...
                              X