Yoga & Wicca?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga & Wicca?

i've just discovered the wonderus thing that is Yoga. I feel refreshed, and relaxed and a little more aware of my body and posture. But I was wondering if anyone used it in their wicca practices or during Meditation or even in place of meditation. After I did about 20 minutes of Yoga this morning, I decided to try meditating. But during the whole meditation my arms felt the need to move, so I did. Some positions felt inspiring and liberating, while others felt like I was closing myself off from the earth and divine.

Does anyone else practice both together? Simular feelings or happenings? Advice on any specific positions or work outs to try?
    "Take that next step Daughter, I am forever beside you" - Mother Earth

I'm not Wiccan, so no. Although I do practice yoga. I tend to to twenty minutes in the morning to center myself, and then a half hour at night before dance practice (and ten minutes after dance as a cooldown). Since I sometimes use dance in rituals/as meditation, I suppose you can say it ties it. It puts me in the right state of mind for these things.

If you're interested in "moving meditation", so to speak, you might want to look into Tai chi chih, a Westernized version of the Chinese martial art, used as mediation (without the martial art aspect).

Comment

Heeey yah. I'm not a yoga master or anything... but I use do it for meditation, as part of 'moving meditation' as said above. I think one might be able to incorporate "Salutation to the sun" and or "Salutation to the moon" for rituals, but I have not exactly tried it yet. I use it more to focus and sense my own energies, to get more "in tune" and "flowing."

A friend of mine did Yoga almost exclusively for several years as his spiritual practice, before he became Wiccan, I doubt that he just stopped using it, or that it didn't help him in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaii View Post
        i've just discovered the wonderus thing that is Yoga. I feel refreshed, and relaxed and a little more aware of my body and posture. But I was wondering if anyone used it in their wicca practices or during Meditation or even in place of meditation. After I did about 20 minutes of Yoga this morning, I decided to try meditating. But during the whole meditation my arms felt the need to move, so I did. Some positions felt inspiring and liberating, while others felt like I was closing myself off from the earth and divine.

Does anyone else practice both together? Simular feelings or happenings? Advice on any specific positions or work outs to try?
        Hatha Yoga is a very relaxing exercise that is practiced in Hinduism and Buddhism Have you ever heard of Surya Namaskar? They are sun salutations done for Lord Surya the sun God, and very beneficial, both physically and spiritually. My favorite asana would have to be the tree pose, though. It really centers you!
        "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Comment

Thanks for the pose Selah! I didn't know the names, but I knew of the Sun Salutation, but not the moon. I'll have to look into it a bit more I guess
          "Take that next step Daughter, I am forever beside you" - Mother Earth

Comment

<Insert caution about mixing two completely unrelated systems without first having an adept understanding of them on their own terms>

for instance, the reason you are having trouble with some asanas 'positions' is that different asanas direct the prana and other subtle forces within and of the body differently. Meaning, different asanas do indeed alter the way divinity will flow through you. in fact that is the whole point of asana: union with a given state or experience of being. so the good news is that they are working as they are suppose to and that you caught on to this actually shows promise. It shows a sensitivity which will help you intuitively learn better posture and variation. This awareness will grow as your practice matures.

What you really need then, is a traditional education of asana. That is, an understanding of how it is traditionally practiced in the East. because here in the West yoga is often taught as mere exercise and even the better sources often gloss over or completely ignore what is going on internally on the mental and spiritual levels. You are going to want to know the traditional correspondences of various asana so that you can apply them in meditation, and yes even ritual.

Different asana are better for meditating upon certain mysteries and the symbolism of those mysteries, or communion with the forces called up in ritual.

Sitting postures tend to be meditative postures specifically and are good for invocation, rising on the planes, communion with divinity and so on. They tend to be mediating in nature and should allow proper flow through all parts of the body both psychical and subtle. They are your best friend. in fact learning a handful of sitting asana is all you need for a degree of mastering concerning meditation.Such that, in actuallity, most other asana are to either work out imbalances, to open or close channels, or to make initial contact with some given state that has not been previous accessible to you in a sitting asana but which often does become accessible thereafter.

Why are sitting postures so great and what are their key features?
            I. The keep the spine straight, vertical and in proper alignment
            II. The provide support and foundation through the legs for opening up the central channels.
            III. They often employ mudras 'hand gestures' which themselves attenuate your flow.
            IV. they promote internal concentration as opposed to external concentration.
            Meaning they are and external form which promotes introspection and inward journeying.
            V. It is easier with these postures to concentrate on specific parts of the body both internal and external,
            and traditionally within Kundalini Yoga different parts of the body are used to initiate different states.
            Mwaning each time you contemplate on a specific god or mystery you 'hold space' focusing on the appropriate part of the body.
            Eventually, you have trained yourself to enter that state simply by focusing on the body part.

The Golden Dawn does something very similar with projecting the Tree of life upon the body.
            It essentially works through the same technique while having a completely different cultural context.

You absolute can incorporate Yoga into your Wiccan praxis. In fact, Samadhi, in a tantric context,
            can easily be an internal hieros gamos 'sacred marriage' and Great Rite; whereby you bring the masculine and feminine channels together awakening the central channel and entering a state of Samadhi through Kundalini Yoga. the God would correspond to the solar channel, the Goddess to the lunar and the Drygten to the awakening of the the Kundalini.

I am not wiccan but i do use the methods of Yoga for self development, of the faculties i need to be an effective medicine practitioner.
            i am also keyed into my working space to build it up as i awaken my own Kundalini. in fact my own personal system for when I am working alone is built upon this very principle.
            It is highly effective, and though it can very much go wrong without the proper disciplines , can provide a rapturous communion not otherwise easily attained.
            Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
            (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
            anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Comment

Working...
            X