When you were first starting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you were first starting...

What is something you wish someone would have told you when you were first starting out on your path? What is the first thing you learned as a wiccan? Any advice for new wiccans?

Originally posted by blackcat01 View Post
    What is something you wish someone would have told you when you were first starting out on your path? What is the first thing you learned as a wiccan? Any advice for new wiccans?
    I'm not now nor have I ever been a Wiccan so can't answer that perspective. However one piece of adivse i'd give is learn how to critically analyze and evaluate your source material. Do not only read the book but also see how it was received within the larger community and by both your elders and peers. Many times one has to learn to read between the lines. The second piece of advise i'd offer is never stick to strickly pagan sources for your material, read the mythology, read the history and archeology, read and then read some more.

Comment

Like MonSno, I'm not Wiccan. But when I started out, I wish someone would have told me that common sense was the most important thing about faith.

The first thing I learned as a Pagan were the fundamentals--elements, symbols, and information.

My advice is to read. Absolutely read whatever you can get your hands on! But regard your reading with wariness, because there is plenty of crap cut in with the good. It's best to make these distinctions yourself, because it's important to know what is right for yourself. Use your common sense.
      ---

[you have been visited by a heliotrope]

[hi]

Comment

Follow your heart and intuition.

Comment

Not a wiccan, but my generic pagany advice would be:

Read more than you practice, but not too much more.
          When somebody who's been at it longer gives you advice, odds are the advice that makes you feel dumbest is the advice you should follow most closely.
          Learn what discernment is, and use it often.
          Do not ever google "free spells".
          Don't take yourself so seriously that you become one of those people.
          Remember, on those long nights memorizing correspondences, which herbs do what, etc: it's worth the effort. You get what you put in.

I can't remember the first thing I learned as a pagan. I was kind of raised that way, along with a lot of other religious upbringing, and wasn't full-time til my mid-teens. I suppose the first paganism-related skill I learned was meditation. Though I learned that from Buddhism, and not in a pagan context. The first spellwork I learned was candle magic.

May your path be long and take you many places.

Comment

Thank you all!!!! You have helped me soooo much!!!

Comment

First things I looked into were fundamental ideas, and history. The latter has become my focus. I'm, if anything, the lorekeeper and mythographer and historian among my group of pagan friends, whenever we meet to do circles or witchy things. I'm only recently learning how to really do energy work. Whenever I've worked with anything in rituals, it's been very simple things and with the gods. Not my own energy or those of others.

Comment

The advice to think about fundamental ideas is very sound, as is all the advice in this thread. But I think starting with the absolute basics is very important. It's easy to get swept away with the details of Wicca or whatever path you're leaning towards, and to be concentrating on juggling those details to best suit you, but from my own personal experience it all falls apart after a while if it's not based on a very sound foundation of what you actually truly believe in. Start with your idea of how the universe works, your idea of deity, and spirits, etc. Do you even really believe in deity? Or spirits? Or energy? Be completely honest with yourself, and it'll save you a lot of confusion down the line!

When I started out, I read these articles on Witchvox, and I loved them. I think they were one of the first things I read.
                http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.htm...basics&id=2881
                (parts 2-4 are listed at the end of that article)

But I'm not sure they even bring it back to basics as much as I think you need to.

I'm aware that this thread is a bit old, and maybe not completely relavent to the OP anymore, but hopefully all this advice will be of use to others starting out!
                My blog: The Spinning of the Wheel

Comment

I'm not Wiccan.

What is something you wish someone would have told you when you were first starting out on your path?
                  WHY Grounding and Centring is important as well as HOW to do it. I spent years fumbling around because it was just assumed that newbies are aware of and understand such basic concepts so no one ever mentioned it.
                  The Sexy Heathen Babe

Comment

I think the most important thing that could have been taught to me as a beginner was quite simply discipline. All to often new pagans want to rush in and learn everything all at once, instead of starting at the beginning and building a foundation.

As other ppl in this thread have mentioned, grounding and centering, the basics of meditation. They seem boring and mundane but they are skills that are difficult to do without.

Another thing that I wish someone could have sat me down and taught me. Stop looking everywhere else for answers and start seeking within. Self-criticism, self-awareness, self-esteem, and simply just a deep knowlefge of what feels right to you, is essential in anyone exploring rheir spirituality, pagan or otherwise.

Comment

There's no 'right' way. Religion is extremely personal amd people get into trouble when they follow blindly what other people tell them. Read as much as possible and keep what works and ignore what feels wrong.

Also, do your own research, and do lots of it. Paganism comes with homework because we don't have a church. Personally, I like it that way. I feel like more institutions should require their members to think for themselves. Not everything you read is true, in fact a lot of itis blatantly made up. And some things you read may be true to the author but not true for you. Trial and error and wild experimentation are the best teachers.
                      "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
                      Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
                      When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
                      AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
                      :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

Comment

- Listen to your heart
                        - Read Everything, then disregard 1/4 of it.
                        - Master basic concepts of your path
                        - Your path may not be the same as anyone else's, you may walk it alone so learn to find joy in learning from and with those who walk similar paths.
                        Well Shit. I didn't do it!

Comment

When I started out everyone said read, read, read, read. Oh and you won't be able to find a coven… sorry.

I am so glad that has changed! The shift is more about exploration now since there are so many resources available. Back then there was only traditional. Now, as far as I can tell, only the traditionalists worry about what's traditional. My athame is a really cool black letter opener. Works for me!

I was coming out of the Catholic Church and unspeakably ignorant of the world and how it worked. I just knew without pause that I wanted to truly participate in my religion. That will sound strange to some. Sitting in a pew and passively hearing someone tell me what God was saying was wrong for me. I wanted a direct experience. Basically I wanted to be a priestess and celebrate the divine connection I knew was there.

Lacking anything else, I read. But I also tried things out which is my most important piece of advice. True for a class, workshop, YouTube, blog, book, where ever you find it. If it feels right, try it. I tried the long form for casting spells with the hours, specific colors and herbs. I tried the simpler versions as well. I tried cooking a full meal and leaving it as an offering. I also spread bird seed in the park and watched the pigeons send my message to the gods. Paganism in all its forms is experiential.

Let me repeat that: Paganism is experiential. Our connection is active, dynamic, driven by curiosity and celebration.

Do you have any idea how many times death, dying, and dead are in the regular Catholic mass? I refuse to go look it up again, but it's 20 or 30 times. I grew up hearing that every week for 18 years. The irony is they call it celebrating mass. Don't get me wrong! My Mother is staunchly Catholic and 89 years old now. I respect the Church and her experience. She's happy doing her duty to God. Didn't work for me.

Unfortunately there's a lot of hogwash out there now. People in for the money. I'm so sick of what used to be basic transmission of knowledge having become payment up front. For some its a business. It's a personal peeve, but don't let your money go until you're sure this is the right thing. That's why trying lots of things out is so important. Charismatic teachers with flashing credentials may not even be the right question for you, let alone provide the answers you need. It's more true now then it was before: a year and a day.
                          The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
                          --Bill Watterson

Comment

I think my teacher was better than I gave him credit for, and better than he gave himself credit for. The first thing he taught me was grounding and centering, and how to shield myself. And he encouraged me to experience things, he was willing to help me with and be my "spotter" for as many things as I wanted to try. And he encouraged me to try a few things I wasn't so comfortable with just so I would explore new things and learn even more.
                            Home is not a place, it's a feeling.

Comment

Don't worry about finding a patron or matron. They will find YOU. But don't think that just because One does find you that that is the One Who will KEEP you. Others may decide THEY want you more. (And They won't leave you alone until you acknowledge that "Things Have Changed... Probably Permanently.")

First thing I learned as a Wiccan (back when I was on that Path): That I dislike lavender essential oil.

Advice for new Wiccans: Candles are hot and wax is messy. If you're a klutz like I am, might I suggest the next best thing: the LED candle. (Yes, I use LED candles. I have never had any complaints from Anyone. And believe me, They would let me know.)
                              ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

Working...
                              X