Samhain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samhain

Well, its coming up really soon, and as a new pagan, I don't know what I should do for it. I'm lucky to be starting off so close to a holiday, but I don't know what I should be doing. Give me some ideas, and please keep in mind that I'm new, so have no tools yet, except for some books and a wand that I "made". Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it.
    "We are men of nature, we are made from the earth, at the end of my eighty, I'll return to the dirt"

There's a Wheel of the Year class in the Circle of Teaching Archives. It has some lovely information for it.

Comment

This is a traditional time (in many religions) to honor the Beloved Dead, those ancestors and beloved spirits that have passed on - this includes beloved pets, too! You can find a candle, any candle, and just light it for them and take a moment out to remember. You can set up a nifty altar, if you like, of pictures and mementos to help you focus. Or, you can just bow your head in a moment of silence.

This is also a good time to review the things that you reaped in your life during the spring and summer, all the things that were set into motion that have completed their cycles, and sort of do an overview of your life. It's nice to lighten the load a little before going in to the dark months ahead, and see if there are any bad habits you can nix, or people you realize you need to stay away from, things you need to stop being involved in, face any fears that are holding you back, etc. You can write those things on a piece of paper and burn them to symbolize them leaving your life, and then do something for healing afterwards, like take a nice hot bath or just pray to a goddess or god for some help and healing.

On the flip side of the above activity, you can gather things that you think you need to work on, whether physical, spiritual or emotional, projects you'd like to start, books that you've been meaning to read, and sort of focus on things that you'd like to do during the dark winter months ahead, when we can finally allow ourselves to slow down a bit and take a little bit more leisure time than in the spring or summer. You can decorate your house for the coming winter, make sure you have enough blankets and warm clothes, etc. It's also a great time to donate to places that gather food and clothes for the homeless or low income families.
      ~NITEFALLE~
      Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
      Always in search of, and one step in back of,
      Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
      ~Willie Nelson~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefalle View Post
        This is a traditional time (in many religions) to honor the Beloved Dead, those ancestors and beloved spirits that have passed on - this includes beloved pets, too! You can find a candle, any candle, and just light it for them and take a moment out to remember. You can set up a nifty altar, if you like, of pictures and mementos to help you focus. Or, you can just bow your head in a moment of silence.

This is also a good time to review the things that you reaped in your life during the spring and summer, all the things that were set into motion that have completed their cycles, and sort of do an overview of your life. It's nice to lighten the load a little before going in to the dark months ahead, and see if there are any bad habits you can nix, or people you realize you need to stay away from, things you need to stop being involved in, face any fears that are holding you back, etc. You can write those things on a piece of paper and burn them to symbolize them leaving your life, and then do something for healing afterwards, like take a nice hot bath or just pray to a goddess or god for some help and healing.

On the flip side of the above activity, you can gather things that you think you need to work on, whether physical, spiritual or emotional, projects you'd like to start, books that you've been meaning to read, and sort of focus on things that you'd like to do during the dark winter months ahead, when we can finally allow ourselves to slow down a bit and take a little bit more leisure time than in the spring or summer. You can decorate your house for the coming winter, make sure you have enough blankets and warm clothes, etc. It's also a great time to donate to places that gather food and clothes for the homeless or low income families.
        Thank you, this information really helped a lot.
        "We are men of nature, we are made from the earth, at the end of my eighty, I'll return to the dirt"

Comment

Working...
        X