Samahin, quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samahin, quick question

Do I celebrate tonight at midnight, or tomorrow at midnight, or just tomorrow anytime? I have no idea, :P thanks!
    "We are men of nature, we are made from the earth, at the end of my eighty, I'll return to the dirt"

hi there, we {the Coven of Keys, anyway} celebrate from 6pm tonight, til 2nd November at sundown.so we're already in celebration really!
    We call it ''The Thinning''
    HAPPY SAMHAIN

Comment

Whenever it feels right. Generally Oct. 31st is considered the closest guestemation to the final harvest and end of summer.

Comment

According to the calendar, the Autumn Equinox is on September 21 and the Winter Solstice is on December 21. Samhain would therefore fall around November 2 as a cross-quarter equidistant between those two quarters.

A lot of people celebrated on Saturday because that's when most of us had an evening free. A lot will celebrate on Halloween as well. After the porch lights are all turned off and the kids are all in bed, then the fun really begins.

Comment

I usually celebrate on the 31st. Its all up to the individual though.

Comment

Not exactly. Just as there are a couple of days on each side of the full moon when the lunar energies are fullest, there are a couple of days on each side of the quarters and cross-quarters when the energies are strongest - in this case where the veil between the worlds is thinnest.

So although a person could certainly celebrate whenever it's most convenient, for ritual or magical workings there is a small window that is best for doing that kind of work.

Comment

[quote=Lunacie Not exactly. Just as there are a couple of days on each side of the full moon when the lunar energies are fullest, there are a couple of days on each side of the quarters and cross-quarters when the energies are strongest - in this case where the veil between the worlds is thinnest.

>>hence our reason for calling it ''the Thinning''.

Comment

Originally posted by enteef89 View Post
                Do I celebrate tonight at midnight, or tomorrow at midnight, or just tomorrow anytime? I have no idea, :P thanks!

Samhain is a word meaning Summer's End, and was the name given to the monthlong period that approximates what is now November. There never was a single "day of Samhain"
                Memories of Pain and Light
                http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
                You, I cannot worship by halves.

Hellenic Web Forum- http://forum.hellenistai.com

Comment

I've always done Samhain things on October 31, but, as you can see, I guess it depends on the person.

Comment

Celtic peoples celebrated the eve of the night before (they believed that night preceded day), so most would typically celebrate starting the night of Oct. 31st, and proceed into Nov. 2 (The traditional 3 days of celebration).
                    "Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it"
                    -The Buddha

"Do not run away; let go. Do not seek, for it will come when least expected."
                    Bruce Lee, Tao of Jeet Kune Do

"A great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
                    Ralph Waldo Emerson

"We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want."
                    Tao Te Ching

Comment

For me it starts on the Eve of October 31st and carries thru Nov 2nd.
                      ~Magic and Rituals & Advanced Paganism Forum Guide~
                      ~Paths: Palo, Santeria, Hoodoo, Voodoo Forum Guide~
                      Thanks Catiana and Athena-Nadine for the beautiful banners!

I am the daughter of earth and water, and nursling of the sky; I pass through the pores of the ocean and shores; I change but cannot die.{Percy Bysshe Shelley}

RIP Tony
                      05/25/67 - 06/22/08
                      You are my Angel

Comment

If the rest of the world isn't going to get it astronimicly correct, why should I? If the world isn't celebrating and it's not my birthday, why should I?

I just celebrate halloween. If you have to ask when to celebrate Samhain, then it's not part of your culture and upbringing. **** it.

Now if your hanging out with other pagans who are celebrating samhain together, sweetness.
                        I have nothing to say in this 'bottom of the post' thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHelmet View Post
                          If the rest of the world isn't going to get it astronimicly correct, why should I? If the world isn't celebrating and it's not my birthday, why should I?

I just celebrate halloween. If you have to ask when to celebrate Samhain, then it's not part of your culture and upbringing. hug it.

Now if your hanging out with other pagans who are celebrating samhain together, sweetness.
                          I would have to agree with LordHelmey on this one. If you must ask then, then it's not part of your culture or upbringing.
                          For me I celebrate Today-Nov.2. That's the way I was raised Celebrating it when I lived with my Grandmother on my Fothers side( that's were the Celtic in my family comes from).
                          Free Hugs
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

Comment

As you can see, Enteef, there isn't one "right" answer. Most people celebrate it when it is most convenient, planning around groups or children or other parties, etc. I celebrated with two other people, and we all have normal 8-5 jobs, so our most convenient time was Sunday night. We had a blast and the energies were amazing!
                            ~NITEFALLE~
                            Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
                            Always in search of, and one step in back of,
                            Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
                            ~Willie Nelson~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shield_Wolf View Post
                              I would have to agree with LordHelmey on this one. If you must ask then, then it's not part of your culture or upbringing.
                              Does that matter? How many people here are actually hereditary witches/pagans/whatever?

Props for asking, I say... haha.

In answer... do what feels right to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X