Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Magic?

Sorry if this is a silly question but it had to be asked:

I've been doing searches on various things surrounding magic and the occult and the likes. I have just started researching the basics and theories of magic and a lot of the websites and books that I'm reading have the term "white magic" in them. That would be fine but for the fact that they say that white magic is used for good and is somewhat related to the Wiccan rule of harm none. But then they go on to give love spells and binding spells and the like.... so I'm just a bit confused as to why these spells (which if I'm not mistake can harm) are classified under white magic. And am I mistaken in my definition of white magic?

And on a side note why do people sometimes refer to magic as white, black or grey? Can magick be other colours as well? I've often thought that I might like to try practising purple polka-dotted magic..........

Originally posted by A.P.Roberts View Post
    I have just started researching the basics and theories of magic and a lot of the websites and books that I'm reading have the term "white magic" in them. That would be fine but for the fact that they say that white magic is used for good and is somewhat related to the Wiccan rule of harm none. But then they go on to give love spells and binding spells and the like.... so I'm just a bit confused as to why these spells (which if I'm not mistake can harm) are classified under white magic. And am I mistaken in my definition of white magic?
    Congratulations, you've exposed the hypocrisy of the authors.

And on a side note why do people sometimes refer to magic as white, black or grey? Can magick be other colours as well? I've often thought that I might like to try practising purple polka-dotted magic..........
    Personally, I don't like the concept of assigning morality to magic. It's a tool, neither good nor evil.

Comment

I think its rather silly to define something as complicated and multifaceted as magic with moral absolutes.
      Amelserru_halqu

It is only by losing oneself that one finds one's way.

Wandering randomly,
      I know not what I seek.
      In my madness,
      I know not where I go.
      The wanderer, in his perplexity.
      Observes the unexpected.

-Vast Obscurity,
      from the works of Chuang Tzu

Comment

"White magic" is a just a term to placify people who are easily afraid. There really is no such thing. Magick isn't white, black or purple polka-dotted, because magick is nutral. It isn't good or evil in and of itself - it just is. :D

Comment

Its all about money and what sells. Doesn't matter that it makes no rational sense.

Personally I don't use the white/black magick classifications, since nothing ever fits neatly into one or the other.
          The Sexy Heathen Babe

Comment

Originally posted by ModernKnight View Post
            Congratulations, you've exposed the hypocrisy of the authors.

Personally, I don't like the concept of assigning morality to magic. It's a tool, neither good nor evil.

Very good point, I feel the same way.
            Life is 10% what has happened to us,
            and 90% the value we assign to it.

sigpic

Comment

Magic just is. There is no color to it.

I found a site that explains the color thing though, I suppose this is the reason behind the color names:
              Magick itself is neutral, a tool: like a hammer, it can be used to smash or to build. Intent is what colors it. White magick is a term to describe that which is positive, constructive or helpful; black magick that which is negative, destructive or harmful. If you have a business and you work spells to make it prosper, that's white magick. Doing spells to destroy your competition would be black magick. These are not racial terms: good and evil, dark and light, are other words which can be used to express this same concept.

Why black and white, not some other colors? To answer this you have to go back into prehistory and imagine how terrifying the night was for humans before we learned to use fire. The black of night was full of unseen threats, a dangerous time you might not survive. The white light of day brought illumination and safety, welcome relief. White magick is the right-hand path, black magick the left-hand one. The symbolism of right and left is also very ancient: the right hand was used for eating, the left hand for bathroom functions. Imagine life without toilet paper and you'll understand why it's customary to shake right hands. This has nothing to do with being right- or left-handed, but it does explain why left handed people were often forced in the past to learn to write with their right hands.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied I think I understand.... well I understand more than I did before anyways. But I think I'm going to have to learn a lot more.... back off to my books then.

Comment

White magic is magic that can't be performed after Labor Day.
                  If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
                  helps you feel your life protects you,
                  cradles you and connects you to everything.
                  Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

Magic has no colour. "White Magic" is just a term made up by some people to describe magic that they feel somehow puts them on a morally higher ground. Magic is neutral. It is WHAT WE DO with it... our actions that make something good or bad.
                    Check Out Our Holiday Jewellery Sets

View Our Celtic Knots, Pentacles and Prayer Beads

Hi Everyone, come visit my website at...

Comment

I may assign "black, white, grey" to different uses of magic... but only when dealing with people who already use that term. Or I will use it in a manner to show how silly that application may be when certain uses are labelled as such. It's all dependent on the situation.

However...

To me, magic has no color and all colors. The use of terms of color is simply for people to better conceptualize what they are doing or believe. Some people need to be able to label and categorize things. The problem is, there are no boundaries or lines in the sand marking when you pass from grey to black or white. In my belief, all magic is a double edged blade. Good and bad all mixed together, even if you can't think of how a certain working would have any good or any bad to it. So how can any be black or white when there will always be good and bad mixed together in the consequences of the working?

Now accepting tarot reading requests.Click here for more information.

Comment

I think "White Magic" is a term invented for those who haven't gotten over the negative stigma and can't help feeling afraid so they slap "white"(or "good") in front of it and it makes them feel all better.

As for me? Magic is a tool just like a car. You can drive the speed limit, stop in all the right places, or you can run down a horde of children. It's the person who makes the morality of it, not the magic itself.
                        Official Site Step-Child
                        ~

~Child of Eros and Persephone~

Comment

Working...
                        X