More On Magickal Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More On Magickal Name

Does one need one? I have absolutely no desire for such a thing. I am curious though as to what the point of having one really is.

Seems so many people have one, and I'm scratching my head wondering if I'm missing something here.
    As "Misguided Angel", but would much rather be known as Pixie. It was taken.

Originally posted by Misguided Angel View Post
    Does one need one? I have absolutely no desire for such a thing. I am curious though as to what the point of having one really is.

Seems so many people have one, and I'm scratching my head wondering if I'm missing something here.

Nope. No one needs one. You know who you are, the gods know who you are.

Gah, it drives me cr4azy when people think you need one and get all bent out of shape about it...for instance there is a woman in my city who is an occasional visitor to my Grove. She practices...well, I'm not entirely sure what she practices. I've heard a number of different things, I've heard her talk about a number of different things.

but that's neither here nor there.

We don't see each other often so we don't know each other very well, and due to this, she forgets my name. On a couple of occasions she's asked my name which I give...and then she asks my magical name...I don't have one. Every time she looks absolutely shocked and asks why I don't. And every time I have to explain that I don't believe in the need for one. and she asks how the gods know who I am. And I have to tell her very nicely that if the gods were too dumb to know who I was without a special name, they wouldn't be worthy of my worship, now would they?

It gets a bit old after a few repeats.
    Memories of Pain and Light
    http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
    You, I cannot worship by halves.

Hellenic Web Forum- http://forum.hellenistai.com

Comment

"How do the gods know who you are?" Wow....that's....precious. They've got my Wanted poster up in their celestial houses!! Better yet, just tell Crazy Lady you are directly descended from them and they can smell your divine blood.

Anyway, back to reality. When I first started down this twisty li'l road, I read that magical names were for the purpose...well...basically, feeling special. You could have a secret name, that you used only with your gods as part of the whole Sacred Space / Name That's Not Mundane - I guess it was really sort a tool, like an athame or chalice, meant to put you in the whole symbolic-subconscious frame of mind. Then, there were magical names that other pagans in your coven or grove or study group or bus terminal could know you by - again, it really seems (in retrospect) that it was just to make you feel special, and although they never really gave a concrete reason for it or solid purpose, most books did stress the importance of it. Huh, now that I think about it, it's a head-scratcher.
      However, I never felt the need for one, everything I could think of just seems and feels completely ridiculous. I don't dress up for rituals, either - again, I just feel like an ass. So don't feel left out, or like you're missing something!
      ~NITEFALLE~
      Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
      Always in search of, and one step in back of,
      Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
      ~Willie Nelson~

sigpic

Comment

You'd probably find there are as many reasons for having a magical name as people who have them. Some that I've heard:
        1. Maintaining confidentiality/anonymity. There are still people whose jobs or family relationships might be jeopardized if word got out that they were Pagan, so they use a different name in Pagan circles.
        2. Honoring our Witchy ancestors whose very lives depended on their ability to maintain their secrecy. I have real problems with this one, as it's often spouted by well-known Pagan authors who always wear shiny pentacle necklaces the size of hubcabs, but it's out there.
        3. The magical name is a tool, just like special clothing and beautiful tools, that captures the interest of the Child Self/subconsciously moves us into magical thinking/separates the magical from the mundane.
        4. The magical name honors and deepens our connection with our totem animal/animal spirit guide.
        5. The magical name is so the gods will recognize us/know what name to call us by. Now me, I'm a pantheist, so my only god is Creation Itself, and I don't believe it to be a conscious entity that knows me or my name, but I'm with Fiamma on this one - what the hell kind of deity needs us to tell Him/Her/It what to call us?!?
        6. My own reason: my magical name is a statement of who I am and what I do as a Pagan. It's not everything, obviously, but it starts me out with a pretty firm declaration that lets people know, "This person works with the wind." Anyone who wants to know more asks me, and I'm always happy to tell them.
        If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
        helps you feel your life protects you,
        cradles you and connects you to everything.
        Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

Ah ... okay then.

Thanks for the input everyone! As I said, I have no desire to have one and I'll continue that route, but I have to admit some of the names I see are pretty darn cool! :hahugh:
          As "Misguided Angel", but would much rather be known as Pixie. It was taken.

Comment

In a lot of tribal societies, one has a name until you are recognized as an adult. Then you recieve a second name, which reflects your adult self.

Sometimes a magickal name reflects the changes that you have undergone. The name is meant to be an affirmation of one's rebirth into the path. It's not something that I think should be taken without a lot of thought and a definitive change in one's perspective and attitude has happened for one reason or another.

Irregardless, almost everyone has different names that they go by even if it is just a difference between Mr/Mrs/Ms so-and-so and your neighbor calling you by your first name or your beloved's pet name for you.

I know in some covens, the HP and HPs give Magical Names as part of the welcoming into the tradition. The recipient doesn't know their name until then. In this case I'd say it's an affirmation of becoming a member of the tribe. But again, that goes back to the whole rebirth thing.

Z
            Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Comment

Originally posted by Misguided Angel View Post
              Ah ... okay then.

Thanks for the input everyone! As I said, I have no desire to have one and I'll continue that route, but I have to admit some of the names I see are pretty darn cool! :hahugh:

There are sme nifty names out there. I've had some people argue that my nickname IS my magical name...I say it's no more or less magical than my given name. My nickname is also very public, and there are a lot of people out there that know me by that, but not by my given name. I answer to one just as reaily as the other.

My nickname is Fuego, by the way. Because I like to play with fire. I think Fiamma fits me better, but Fuego it has been for several years now and I don't think it will ever catch on. I like the sound of "Fiamma"

I digress. Call me what you will, I designate none as my "magical name"
              Memories of Pain and Light
              http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
              You, I cannot worship by halves.

Hellenic Web Forum- http://forum.hellenistai.com

Comment

I don't use a magical name. I did when I first started, mainly because it was supposed to be something everyone had. I didn't much see the point of using it or any other though.

My guides like to refer to me and others by certain names. "Soul names" some would call them, but I feel it's just a name like any other, even though I was told not to spread it around willy nilly. Same with their own names.

But when doing my workings, I don't use a name. Not even my birthname. It just feels more natural to me not to use one.

So, if you don't feel you need a special name, don't use one. There are reasons some do (aptly listed by Windsmith), but that doesn't mean you have to.

Now accepting tarot reading requests.Click here for more information.

Comment

My beliefs are my own. While they may often mirror other specific paths, I'm finding more and more no matter how much I try to "fit in" and find a good majority of myself within a certain path, I just cannot.

So as far as my path is concerned, I'm not a part of one that says I have/need a magical/spirtual name. As for me personally, I don't think I need one nor do I think I'll ever need one. When I was first starting to discover Paganism, Wicca mainly, I thought that I really needed a special name because "everyone" else had one and it was the "Right" thing to do.

It's only right if it works for you. The name is a highly individual part I think. I just don't think it does anything special and is a bit too much "decoration" for me.

I find so many people(not all who have names) have this need for the 'mysterious', the 'interesting', the 'unique'. But honestly as I notice day in and day out, if you want to be all those things, don't have a special name. Don't walk around draped in 7 layers of silk, satin, and velvet and talk of reincarnation from centuries old kings and queens.

But, I get away from the topic. I just think the name is pointless for me and as far as the Gods are concerned. I back up the statement about why would we worship Gods who need a special name to know us. I also say that if that was the case, how could I hear so many stories of the Gods themselves giving people names.
                  Last edited by SilentDreams; November 9th, 2006, 02:52 AM.
                  Official Site Step-Child
                  ~

~Child of Eros and Persephone~

Comment

If you don't have any desire to have one, then don't. It wouldn't have any meaning to you, and is definitely not required.

Banner by Catiana - Avatar by Linsey K. Huish (Sidian)

Arts & Crafts Forum Guide
                    Copyright Issues/Fair Use Policy

Blinkie by Flaire

My Website

Comment

I don't have a name any more magickal than my birth name, for it holds all the magick that is my essence! My family, husband and covenmates use one part of my name, where the rest of the world that is not privy to my inner workings use another......Like Fiamma said, I too answer to many a title!!

Tal
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aleannah View Post
                        If you don't have any desire to have one, then don't. It wouldn't have any meaning to you, and is definitely not required.
                        Exactly.
                        You don't need one and don't have to have one.

My names on MW (example: Agaliha or Belle Terre) are not my magical name.
                        I don't have one really. When I do my own person thing with my spirituality it's just me. My name. Online to protect myself I go by my middle name or usernames.

Windsmith gave a good summary of reasons for them.

Also the Kemetic Orthodox when you chose to become Shemsu you are given a name. Many on here are Shemsu and use that name (it's unique to them). I don't know if they use it when practicing and talking to their Parents and Beloveds though...I'm just a Remetj. No Shemu name and not practicing.

I'm sure many other faiths give new names to make initiations and such.
                        The Catholic Church does: baptismal names, confirmation names...often named after a saint. Not a "magical name", but still the same concept.
                        Last edited by Agaliha; May 31st, 2007, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Most people think my "Magickal name" is my real name, because it's an ordinary name and i use it more often than the name my parents gave me.
                          The core of this comes down to the fact I hate my real name with a passion surpassing the fire of 1000 suns. I have a magickal name because I honestly believe that it's closer to my true self. The person I actually am rather than the person everybody thinks I am.

Names have a great deal of power. To me a name is as good as a photo or lock of hair. Part of the power names have though comes from our own identifying with them.

I think it's also supposed to help people change over from "mundane" to "magickal" for ritual. I don't use it like this, although I did at one stage.

So for me a magickal name is there basically as a better lable for the person I am on the inside, a better label for the person I want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Agaliha View Post
                            Exactly.
                            I'm sure many other faiths give new names to make initiations and such.
                            The Catholic Church does: baptismal names, confirmation names...often named after a saint. Not a "magical name", but still the same concept.
                            I was confirmed in the Catholic church when I was much younger, and was just doing it because my mother made me. However, now that I look back at it, I really wish I hadn't. It was so fake and now I have an extra name because of it - it's like a nebulous blob that lurks in the depths of my real name and I don't like it.
                            ~NITEFALLE~
                            Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
                            Always in search of, and one step in back of,
                            Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
                            ~Willie Nelson~

sigpic

Comment

The "need" for a magickal name, is up to the individual.

I see magickal names a two edged sword myself. Names have power after all and it's a easy way to influence one's head space. But at the same time, a poorly constructed name could result in some unsavory results.

My first magickal name was Dreamweaver. I was great at plotting and planning, but I NEVER was able to put anything into action. All my ideas remained in the realm of dreams.
                              The Sexy Heathen Babe

Comment

Working...
                              X