Tips for a newb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a newb?

I am new to paganism and am looking to make my life better with its use. I would like advice about where to start, what to do, etc.
    An it harm none, do what thou wilt.

Well, which path are you looking into?
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

|myspace|facebook|paganspace|

"But in her web she still delights
    To weave the mirror's magic sights,
    For often thro' the silent nights
    A funeral, with plumes and lights
    And music, went to Camelot;
    Or when the Moon was overhead,
    Came two young lovers lately wed.

'I am half-sick of shadows' said the Lady of Shalott."

Comment

There's a thread at the top of this subforum, Welcome to New Pagans - Start Here - start there
      Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Comment

Well, what I did was think. And think. And think. Then I wrote down everything that I thought about life the universe and everything. Then I read. And Read. And Read. Books on all kinds of paths and faiths till I found one that clicked with me.

So tie me to a post and block my ears
        I can see widows and orphans through my tears
        I know my call despite my faults
        And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
        And I won't let you choke
        On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
        And I will change my ways
        I'll know my name as it's called again
        ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight

Comment

You want to... make your life better with it's use... ?

Oh my

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
          मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
          ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Stimpson View Post
            You want to... make your life better with it's use... ?

Oh my
            O_O When I read it I thought of it as bettering yourself spiritually, I guess?
            I hope (s)he(?) meant that and not... something else.
            Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
            ~Kahlil Gibran

|myspace|facebook|paganspace|

"But in her web she still delights
            To weave the mirror's magic sights,
            For often thro' the silent nights
            A funeral, with plumes and lights
            And music, went to Camelot;
            Or when the Moon was overhead,
            Came two young lovers lately wed.

'I am half-sick of shadows' said the Lady of Shalott."

Comment

Originally posted by hitsuzen View Post
              O_O When I read it I thought of it as bettering yourself spiritually, I guess?
              I hope (s)he(?) meant that and not... something else.
              so do I hitsuzen, so do I :bigredgri

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
              मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
              ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Comment

I'm not really the best person to give advice if you wish to go the rout of a circle or something... but if you just want something that makes sense to just you...

I dunno.. I mean, I started out as a dianic solitary... then I moved onto shamanism... then I moved onto a faery tadition... went blustering into satanism and then ended up encompassing the Tao... which isn't necessarily a religion more than a philosophy... not the water interpretation mind you, the description that speaks of life as a road or roads... then I went through utter frustration with the whole ordeal and just decided if don't feel right don't do it... now I focus primarily on my connection to the world and the universe and less on other things... (I guess that isn't really going against the philosphy of Tao I suppose... at least my understanding of Tao).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that spirituality is more or less like picking an instrument... you can pluck away at a harp all day, but if it doesn't sing to you chances are you won't master it without first going through hell and high water to get where you need to be... whereas if you pick up a cello and it feels more an extension of your soul anything you play will be deep and meaningful... if only to you...

In other words, unless you go with what you feel instead of trying to figure it out with the facilities of your cerebral cortex, you're much better off. Where we all started our journey spiritually is completely relative, and as such any amount of advice given to you will seem meaningless if you feel it's against your best interests.

Aside from that we are semi-cyclical in being, as such, when thoughts and feelings change, so do our beliefs, if even only microscopically. So... maybe it's worth it to start on something as opposed to waiting for what you feel is the right thing.

I realize that the two things I just threw out there were somewhat at odds with one another, but to try and steer you just this way or that seems to me a transgression... as I don't know exactly what kind of beliefs you already have....

I really hope I didn't confuse you... and that at least part of what I said makes sense...

Blessed Be,
                Thought
                Last edited by thought_on_a_wind; June 12th, 2008, 11:06 PM.
                Per Mare, Per Terras!!!

Feel Free to PM me with your request

*sigh* I finally did it... thar be my dragons, pwease qwick them... I don't want to go to jail for neglect... what'd a dragon ever do to you??

Your friendly solitary non-traditional eclectic.

"Follow me into the depths of insanity, leave beliefs and apprehensions at the door"- quoth the ocelot

Comment

At this point, I'm really willing to try just about anything that seems like it will work. I've looked into several religions already (Islam, Christianity, Judaism) but they all seem to central to the group and the book for me.

I would like suggestions as to the best way to better myself spiritually and/or physically (I'm in good health, but I do get sick every now and then).

Basically, I'm new this and I want to know what to expect and how to attain it.

I will check out "Welcome new pagans."
                  An it harm none, do what thou wilt.

Comment

If you ask me, the best tip ever is: Keep your common sense at the ready. It'll do you better than almost anything.
                    Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyrstorm View Post
                      If you ask me, the best tip ever is: Keep your common sense at the ready. It'll do you better than almost anything.
                      That's the best advice I've heard all month!

:cheers:
                      Per Mare, Per Terras!!!

*sigh* I finally did it... thar be my dragons, pwease qwick them... I don't want to go to jail for neglect... what'd a dragon ever do to you??

"Follow me into the depths of insanity, leave beliefs and apprehensions at the door"- quoth the ocelot

Comment

Well, if you are looking for a new religion start with the paths section and read about all of them. Now this is just a small smaple of what is really out there but it is a start.

To really find your path you need to find out what you believe in first. Like does every living thing have a soul including plants and animals or just humans. Do you believe in reicarnation or after you die that is just it. Another believe is that everyone is or has the ability to be good or there is good and bad in the world. These and other believes will guide you into your path.

Some people take years in searching to find their way. Others come across it fast. The pagan belief takes alot of study and doing. Mostly soilatre unless you are lucky to find a group near you that practices a path you are interested in.

After you have narrow down your choices a bit you can look into the mentoring program here to see if you can find a mentor in the area you are interested in. And never be afraid to ask a question. Also the Search funtion is your friend use it alot for there are many back posts. MW has been around for Years and all those posts are here.

Goddess Bless
                        Available for Mentoring-PM Me
                        check out profile in mentor section
                        http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=167636

Comment

If you're interested in beliefs to do with bettering yourself you might check out the Satanism path subforum. LaVeyan Satanism is a set of philosophies based on the idea that we are all the only god we should worship, and it talks about how to better yourself. That forum is at http://mysticwicks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=348

If you're just wanting to figure out what your spirituality should be, well that's usually more based on your beliefs. Any spirituality will help you better yourself really, as long as it fits your life and what you feel. I wrote a set of questions for people to consider while thinking about what spirituality fits at http://mysticwicks.com/showpost.php?...60&postcount=3 Another good way to do it is to check out the Beliefnet spirituality quiz at http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html
                          Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Comment

edit: sigh I believe saying the test is bogus was a little... yeah...

I think it could use a couple tweaks or improvements though...

Hey Bunnies,

Methinks your best bet is writing down the questions from beliefnet and answering them on your own... because it'll help you actively engage these questions so you can figure out exactly where you stand on 'tings... then the religion selection... I dunno ehh... guess my advice aint all it's cracked up to be... either way good luck. [end edit]
                            Last edited by thought_on_a_wind; June 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM.
                            Per Mare, Per Terras!!!

Comment

1. Neo-Pagan (100%) 2. New Age (98%) 3. Unitarian Universalism (93%) 4. Liberal Quakers (83%) 5. Theravada Buddhism (76%) 6. Secular Humanism (71%) 7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (70%) 8. Mahayana Buddhism (66%) 9. New Thought (60%) 10. Reform Judaism (55%) 11. Scientology (53%) 12. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (48%) 13. Orthodox Quaker (48%) 14. Taoism (46%) 15. Bahل'ي Faith (44%) 16. Nontheist (42%) 17. Jainism (40%) 18. Sikhism (37%) 19. Orthodox Judaism (32%) 20. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (28%) 21. Hinduism (28%) 22. Jehovah's Witness (28%) 23. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (24%) 24. Seventh Day Adventist (22%) 25. Islam (20%) 26. Eastern Orthodox (13%) 27. Roman Catholic (13%)

That was my result... and thank you this seems like it could help alot of ppl descover who, and what they believe in.
                              Last edited by Agaliha; July 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM. Reason: edited to remove ad left from the cut and paste

Comment

Working...
                              X