Finding your Path, How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding your Path, How?

I tried using that Belif O Meter, but most the awnsers didn't fit with how I saw life and felt. So i am not sure how to go about finding my Path in life and the Craft.

Thank you for your advice.

Read a lot, try a lot of things, and wait. It's not likely you'll find the answer quickly.
    Flame in Bloom-my blog on dancing and heathenry

The fires in me can never be drowned. They cannot be snuffed, for even when they are denied air, they breathe, gasping in the endless firedance.

Comment

QFT! I'm still finding it, going on 17 years now!

HDK
      http://www.coven-space.com/Happydeadkitty

"If nothing else fails, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through" Melchett

Comment

It took me a long time to find that the path I'm on was the right one for me... but even that may change in time! Just read as much as you can and experiment until you've found something that seems right. If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't fit, don't wear it for fashion purposes.

Convallaria

Comment

lol if the belief o meter didnt fit with what you believe... then that proves one thing:

You believe things.

Which means that you either do one of two things. Explore more what you believe and lead an eclectic 'path' OR read around and see what best fits with what you believe right now.

Either that or answer this question: what do I want? and then best see where you can find what you want.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
          मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
          ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Comment

You already know what you truly believe, and even if you dont.......
            You are already walking your path and it will lead you to where you are meant to go. Just keeping following your own heart as you search.
            :boing:

Comment

So I have decided to attempt to meditate on it tomorrow...err today as it is, once I wake up and Amanda has headed off to work. I plan to finish cleaning our bedroom, make the bed and burn a CD.

I intend to either Sit cross-legged on the bed or lay or lean against a pile of pillows, which ever seems most relaxing at that point.

I have a couple songs chosen to listen to, I would prefer to go without, but our complex we live in is noisy that time of day as our apartment over looks the pool.

I say I am going to attempt to meditate, as I have not in the past been able to without being for lack of a better word stoned. Several times while I still smoked weed I was able to enter a deeply relaxed meditative state for 15-30 minutes. Sober I have not in the past been able to, so this will be a first. I am not sure if I will be counting my breaths, or how I will be going about it...but I will be giving it a shot.

As a side benefit being 8 months sober should help me to focus on what path I belong on, and enter a better meditative state then when I was high.

Comment

It feels like you are assuming there is a path for you "out there" and your job is to find it, but I suggest you are already on your path. You may, or may not find out there is a name for it and others who follow the same, but I don't think there is some path "out there" that you need to find, get on and take to the destination...you are already on a path, and a valid one at that.

Life/spirituality is not a formula that you follow, it is a journey you create. And in my experience, practicing and living what you believe, now, right where you are, is the key to deepening spirituality...not jumping from path to path, to path...but staying a course and following it. That is how we get "good" at a thing, we keep doing it, we learn all the aspects of it, we grow with it.

Too many people want/hope that the perfect mate, friend, pet, spirituality, job, home is waiting to be found, but don't see that actually, we must work to make what is available to us into the perfect mate, friend, pet, spirituality, job or home. We take what we have, and grow together with it, and with effort, patience and time we find we've created something awesome, but rarely, if ever do we just stumble on a perfect fit, the one right answer to all our desires.

You are already on your path, and yes, you might find one ready made that suits you, but even then...it requires you work with it, get into it, etc...so why not start right where you are? Practice what you DO know and believe, don't wait until something jumps out at you, start where you are, today.
                In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

Just a small point, not meant to be personally critical, but it seemed to me through reading your posts that you are trying to identify with an existing path!

As Cheddersox and others have pointed out, you are already on a path. Does it really matter if you can't fit an established name to it?

Perhaps if you took the plunge and posted some of your core beliefs friends here could point you in a direction that best suits your statements!

Comment

Not sure how many would agree with this. But basically I think the best way to find your path is to just keep your eyes and ears open and deal with what's in front of you.

Your path will claim you before you find it.
                    To trust another you must first trust yourself. Without trust of self how can you have the trust in yourself to make the right decision in who you trust. - David Allain

The most common cause of anger is pain. People are akin to animals in one very true sense, when hurt, they lash out. When in pain, people lash out and cause others pain, thus doubling the pain. Those they cause pain then lash out in their pain, causing yet more people pain. Behind every anger, there lies pain. - David Allain

For more of my quotes, please click here.

Mystical Occult Research Site

Comment

There is a Meditation forum too, in case you haven't checked it out, that might have threads to help you meditate. I know sometimes it takes a lot of practice and different methods. For instance, I've been a Pagan over a decade and just recently found a meditative method that works for me.

You might also explore the Paths subforums to see if anything fits, and if you'd like to examine your own beliefs in detail I posted a decent list of considerations at http://mysticwicks.com/showpost.php?...60&postcount=3
                      Last edited by RainInanna; July 3rd, 2008, 08:54 AM.
                      Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Comment

Originally posted by TygerTyger View Post
                        As Cheddersox and others have pointed out, you are already on a path. Does it really matter if you can't fit an established name to it?
                        It might or might not matter. It matters to me, and after years of wandering around the room looking at all the curios decorating the furniture, I eventually decided to settle this issue by coining a new term for my path. I'm an Arborvitian. Though pinning down exactly what that means from day to day, year to year, is another matter. It's continuously evolving in spite of how much I would like to say I have figured everything out, and The Official Prescriptive Rules are:
                        [blah blah blah]

I get where the OP is coming from though. I spent a long time looking at everything from Wicca to Taoism to Christianity and even Islam along the way. I wanted to find a house already built, and move in, but I couldn't find one I liked. I find that if I look deep inside, I know how things are supposed to be in that house I seek, and if something isn't right, it's immediately obvious, so I have to take the lessons learned from a new exploration, and continue along my journey to build my own house.

After about 11 years of this stuff though, my house is pretty ratty looking, I must say. I have visions of building Camelot for myself, but what I actually have built is more like a simple stacked-stone hut with a half-finished thatch roof. I tried to write the official "Arborvitian Bible," and pretty much got stumped after seven pages or something. Some Camelot.

Oh well. I'm mostly over that part of the quest where I feel that kind of obsession at all. I obviously don't need a highly prescriptive and rigid structure to do my thing grokking oak trees and flowers and stuff, do I?

It does make it awkward when somebody asks me to explain what an "Arborvitian" is though. Uh. Me. Whatever I believe from moment to moment, largely, and that changes depending on the season and my level of depression and/or longing.

So anyway, my advice to the OP is to keep looking, and make sure to check out all the curios along the way. There are a great many of them, and they're all cool to look at, and each one can teach a lesson in some way. In fact, I've probably learned more about myself by giving serious attention to religions that are so obviously not the right fit than I have by examining those that are sort of close, but not quite. The key bit is to think seriously about why you know such and such is just flat wrong, and learn from that, but never feel like a failure because something almost worked, except for the sticky part here and here.

I find it rather annoying when people want to rewrite the book on whatever religion, to make it something that it isn't. That was one of the lessons I had to learn myself along my journey. I used to be guilty of that very thing, and upset with people who got annoyed with me for calling myself an X even though I differed on point Y and Z. They were right.
                        sigpic

Comment

Honestly, I'm not so sure there is a need to *find* your path. It sounds trite, but when the time is right...your *path* fnds you.

I think it's more important to figure out what you believe and why you believe it. If it has a name, great. If not, that's great, too.

I was a Hellene long before I knew that Hellenic Reconstruction was the name for it.

I was grateful that I had found where I belonged, and there were others like me...but it would have been OK if there was no name for it and I was alone, as well.

I think it would be worse to pick a path, identify yourself with it, and then find out later that it does not fit. I can speak from experience on that.
                          Last edited by Twinkle; July 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM.
                          "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
                          instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
                          which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

1. You're already on your path. You can't force pre-made religions fit your beliefs, and you can't force what you believe into their religions. You can't make a round peg fit a square hole without changing the peg.

Believe me, I've tried it.

2. That doesn't mean you're all alone. It's a harder way to be sure if you don't already have a "structure" in place, but there are a lot of people in the same both, and think about it. Your beliefs are more honest then. You don't have to force yourself to believe in what others say is right. You believe what's in your heart, and that is a good thing.

______

I've always believed in the same thing for as long as I can remember. Christianity didn't fit, Ba'hai didn't fit, Mormon didn't fit (yes I went down the Mormon path for awhile), Wiccan sure as HECK didn't fit, Ceremonalist groups didn't fit, etc etc etc.

I'm taking the Bardic course with the OBOD because actually a lot does fit, BUT the best thing? OBOD say in their course that "Well this is what we say, these are the practices we do but you know what? If you don't agree that's okay!"

Which is why it works for me. Though there hasn't been a lot I've disagreed with yet.

Comment

Ok let me rephrase it, I am not looking for a specific path (I wouldn;t turn one away if it came along) just what bits work for me and what bits dont.

From what (little) reading I have done none of the established 'group' paths or such seem to fit me.

So i am not looking for a path as the parts of the path that work, and the parts that dont.

Comment

Working...
                              X