Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newbie looks for advice for little things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie looks for advice for little things...

Okay, well, I've been looking into Wicca, and I find it's something that really connects with me. Ever since I was younger, I was always interested in it, I just didn't know what it was. My girlfriend is, however, and so I've gained insight on it from her as well as my own research, and it definitely speaks to me, and from what I get from what I've read, this is all pretty much about doing what feels right.

I've done a few little things, but I feel that these are nothing more than small trinkets of interest (crystals and tarot cards, pretty much) without advancing at least a little further into this.

Slight problem though, my parents are slightly superstitious... not religious per se, but they have their beliefs, and they seem to hold this kind of thing in a bit of a negative light, and they tell me I shouldn't mess with things I don't understand.

I'm looking for little things I can do to at least make myself more active and in tune with this way of life, small changes in my ways maybe, things I can do quietly on my own time, etc., without it being overly obvious what I'm doing. No candles, altars, incense and the like for the time being...

so... a little help, please?

What's wrong with candles, they make the room smell better! So you're using them for that. And pretty rocks are decorative. Who needs to know anything else?
    sigpic
    Tallwoman

Comment

Simple could be taking a glass of water and placing it on your desk. Then close your eyes and meditate on your ancestors and invite them into your place. Talk to them as if they were sitting before you. Establishing a line of communication with them can help in many ways. You can work up to having pictures of them in a special spot and giving them offerings of food and drink to making an elaborate ancestor altar. NO one has to know everything that you do. By starting with working with your own ancestors you can learn to reach the"divine entity". You do not have to go way back either as far as ancestors. Start with people that are no longer living that you knew and progress backwards from there as you see fit. Your ancestors care about your well being and are more apt to help in times of trouble than other deities.
      ~Magic and Rituals & Advanced Paganism Forum Guide~
      ~Paths: Palo, Santeria, Hoodoo, Voodoo Forum Guide~
      Thanks Catiana and Athena-Nadine for the beautiful banners!

I am the daughter of earth and water, and nursling of the sky; I pass through the pores of the ocean and shores; I change but cannot die.{Percy Bysshe Shelley}

RIP Tony
      05/25/67 - 06/22/08
      You are my Angel

Comment

well, the crystals I can get away with, I've had a small collection since about the 5th grade, so thats not too bad...

my girlfriend blew my cover as far as candles go... LOL

i'd prefer things that I can easily cover up for the time being :P
        I know it's not good being so secretive and sneaky, but... LOL

Comment

Okay, then you can go with the glass of water and pictures of ancestors, or even one of a favorite. Also fresh flowers, or a dish with some dried flower petals in it. Seashells, anthing that says nature to you.
          sigpic
          Tallwoman

Comment

Originally posted by sevenshadesofblack View Post
            Okay, well, I've been looking into Wicca, and I find it's something that really connects with me. Ever since I was younger, I was always interested in it, I just didn't know what it was. My girlfriend is, however, and so I've gained insight on it from her as well as my own research, and it definitely speaks to me, and from what I get from what I've read, this is all pretty much about doing what feels right.

I've done a few little things, but I feel that these are nothing more than small trinkets of interest (crystals and tarot cards, pretty much) without advancing at least a little further into this.

Slight problem though, my parents are slightly superstitious... not religious per se, but they have their beliefs, and they seem to hold this kind of thing in a bit of a negative light, and they tell me I shouldn't mess with things I don't understand.

I'm looking for little things I can do to at least make myself more active and in tune with this way of life, small changes in my ways maybe, things I can do quietly on my own time, etc., without it being overly obvious what I'm doing. No candles, altars, incense and the like for the time being...

so... a little help, please?
            Hi, welcome to MysticWicks. I hope you drop by the Paths: Wicca forum (the link is in my siggie below) and chat with some of the other Wiccans here. We have quite a bit of experience shared in that forum. You might start with the sticky thread... Core Beliefs of Wicca. Contrary to what many authors have been saying about Wicca being whatever one wants it to be, there is a definite set of beliefs and practices that make Wicca unique among all the other Pagan religions.

But if by "doing what feels right" you mean finding the path or religion that feels right to you, then I certainly agree with that. Find out more about Wicca, and about other religions as well, before making a decision to use any particular label to describe yourself. Unfortunately there are "fundamentalist" Wiccans who sometimes are very nasty to people who call themselves Wiccan without having a clear idea of what Wicca is really all about.

A Wiccan altar often displays something to honor both the God and the Goddess and the four elements. I have seen and used myself a set of Boji stones to represent the male and female dieties, as they come in pairs that have those energies in them. For east/air you could use a feather, or a stick of incense. For south you could use a piece of flint (used for striking a spark) or a candle. For west you could use a container of water or a sea shell. For north you could use a pot of dirt, maybe with a flower or plant growing in it, or a stone. But don't go looking for the "proper" way to set up an altar, it should have personal meaning for you.

It can be a collection that is placed on a tray on top of your dresser, or on a fireplace mantle, or kept in a box and taken out for rituals and put away again after. It can simply be a chalice or cup and a dish that you use to share a simple feast with the gods in your bedroom or in your backyard or in the park or riverside.

Comment

I hope this isn't OT...but, are crystals, tarot and meditating to invite ancestors regular aspects of Wicca? I am not Wiccan, and don't pretend to know a lot about it, but I didn't think those things were part of it's practice either.

That sounds more general neo-pagan, new agey, or eclectic practice.

Nothing wrong with it at all, just didn't strike me as Wicca.

Suggestion for the OP...create an altar cloth, get a cloth and place symbols on it for the directions, elements, etc. You can draw them on with magic marker, embroider them in, iron on transfers, etc. This can be easily put away when needed.
              In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

an easy start would be meditation and i agree with shalaya

if candles are of limits and you seek an easy start... why not doing esbat meditations on full moon, as well as meditations on the dark moons.

reserach the meanings of the moon in their astrological signs, and meditate on what it feels like for YOU. take notes at all times after each meditation.

next step would be to attune to the solar energies on the 8 sabbaths. there too you can research and meditate on it (and notes after that)

maybe you can decorate your ancestors altar as shalaye described it with fitting symbols to the esbats / sabbaths

like a pumpkin for samhain/helloween, flowers for beltaine/mai 1st - no-one will get suspicious about that , but for you it will mean a connection to the sources you seek.

a word o warning, without wanting to be a smartass, but your parents are right in warning you not to mess with powers you dont understand. sooooo by attuning to the lunar and solar events you will learn about these powers, get the desired connection and follow the wise guidelines of your parents at the same time.

a second big possibility i wouldnt mis would be some outdoor practising. again, you dont need much. a picknick cloth, something to drink, preferably water, a lighter or just a branch of a tree (fire symbol), a swiss army knife (air), some food (earth) preferably bread or an apple - that is NOT designed to be eaten or a stone,
                decorated on the corners of your picknick cloth. you bring some food to eat with you for yourself and as offering of course.

enjoy the nature surrounding you, a park, a garden anything. bring a book with you thats not related, maybe even school/work stuff. give the knowledge its place, but dont forget to give withdom a go by meditating and writing down the results.

anyone seeing you will believe you are pick-nicking and larning or enjoying yourself. which you will, of course, but not only in the mundain meaning as ppl would believe.

this way your cloth will also collect power, and later, when you start practising more intensively, it will be much more a help, than any gimmic you could buy.

so happy picknicking

Comment

Originally posted by CzechWoods View Post
                  a swiss army knife (air),
                  the knife blade needs not to be visible. you can place the shut knife there, simply as that

just saying

Comment

Originally posted by cheddarsox View Post
                    I hope this isn't OT...but, are crystals, tarot and meditating to invite ancestors regular aspects of Wicca? I am not Wiccan, and don't pretend to know a lot about it, but I didn't think those things were part of it's practice either.

That sounds more general neo-pagan, new agey, or eclectic practice.

Nothing wrong with it at all, just didn't strike me as Wicca.

Suggestion for the OP...create an altar cloth, get a cloth and place symbols on it for the directions, elements, etc. You can draw them on with magic marker, embroider them in, iron on transfers, etc. This can be easily put away when needed.
                    I suspect that since this thread was posted in "New Pagans" rather than the "Paths: Wicca" forum, the advice has been more general than specifically about Wicca. Although the Wiccans I know and have worked with do tend to use crystals and tarot as adjuncts to their practices, and my group does a guided meditation before each ritual to help us get into a more spiritual mindframe. :uhhuhuh: But we generally only focus on the ancestors at Samhain.

Comment

Well, so far I've just been picking up stuff from reading on Wicca and other pagan practice in general, as well as little things I've picked up from my girlfriend that have always interested me... I know she incorporates a bit from various sources...

as far as the whole "doing what feels right" thing, one of the things that really appeal to me about this is that theres no one set way to do things, it's all up to your own interpretation and what you can connect with the most.

I'm not really looking to delve too far into anything at the moment, so I'm not exactly looking into dealing with anything too advanced at the moment, I'm really just looking more or less to find small ways to "tune in" better to all of this, see if it continues to speak to me and feel right to me as it does now before I really commit to anything...

but thanks, all your advice really helps!
                      of course any other ideas wouldn't hurt either... LOL
                      Last edited by sevenshadesofblack; July 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X