Wands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wands

I'm planning on making my own wand, when the right piece of wood comes along , and I was wondering if there was anything I would have to do to it. For example will it rot or anything.
    Another thing is, I was wondering how I should attach gems to it, so it wouldnt fall off :D

Help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks

"Love is Blindness, I don't wanna see, Won't you wrap the night around me? Take my heart, It's Blindess" - U2

Make sure the wood is dry by putting it in a dry place for several months. Peel the bark off, and sand the wood down until smooth. This should be sufficient, although you can use a wood finish, stain or preservative if you want. Once dry, the wood won't rot unless you leave it in a wet place for a while. I have a wand made of bamboo cut from my back yard which hasn't rotted in almost ten years.

As for attaching gemstones, there are a number of adhesives that work fairly well. A trip to your local craft store or hardware store should help you find something. Look for a clear silicone adhesive that sticks to porous and non-porous materials. One I have used is just called "Goop." Another is E6000. Very useful.

You can drill or carve holes or settings in the wood to match your stones, put a drop of glue in, and gently press the stone into place. Wipe off any excess glue. It will look real nice.
    Blessed be!

Demeter

Demeter's First Rule: Thou Shalt Not Check Thy Brain At The Door.
    Demeter's Second Rule: Thou Shalt THINK! (kudos to Orson Scott Card)

"Compassion is not an option. It is the Law of Laws." (Truth is found in unlikely places; this is a quote from some random guy I passed on the street.)

Comment

My wand is simply a stick that fell at my feet. I didn't sand it or anything, nor do I plan to put gemstones in it; I'm happy with it as it is.

Comment

Thanks Sooooo much :D

"Love is Blindness, I don't wanna see, Won't you wrap the night around me? Take my heart, It's Blindess" - U2

Comment

If you still want some ideas:

http://grandpasgeneral.com/lwand.html
          http://www.witchs-brew.com/journal/articles/wand.html
          Kathleen
          Christian Witch - formerly Moonlight Morgan - now searching a NEW name.
          Mom of 5, Canadian
          Where I Blog

Comment

Thank You once again

Comment

Another thing to experiment with that could be pretty neat is using modelling clays like Sculpey or Fimo or Primo to add interesting bits to your wand, or to hold things like gems or beads to the wand.

The trick is to make sure that the wand itself can withstand being in the oven for a while (maybe up to half an hour) at temperatures around 300 degrees fahrenheit. You need to bake the clay to make it set and harden.

They have an example project using Sculpey at http://www.sculpey.com/Projects/proj...denWascals.htm where they make a cartoon rabbit with Sculpey and a wooden dowel. If a wooden dowel works, I think a dried and bark-free stick should also work. (I wonder if bark on the stick might catch fire, so probably wouldn't try that myself.)

Sculpey is pretty cool stuff and comes in lots of colours. It's also available in most craft stores or places where they sell art materials.
              Last edited by Ben Gruagach; April 27th, 2003, 04:42 PM.

Ben Gruagach
              MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
              author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
              visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
              read my LiveJournal blog
              find me on Facebook

Comment

Oh... I just found a webpage that talks about making wands with Fimo (which is just like Sculpey, but a different brand name). Check out http://www.ravenhold.com/html/february_lessons.html

You need to scroll down a bit to find the section on making the wand. Lots of ideas for using modelling clay in making a wand.

Ben Gruagach
                MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
                author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
                visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
                read my LiveJournal blog
                find me on Facebook

Comment

I live in the UK, so I don't know what types of clay they have here, or how they work, but a cool suggestion anyhow, I mite give it a go

Comment

I'm making my wand out of a length of stainless steel electrical piping. :D With something like that you can wrap the stones in a metallic wire (securing with superglue or something) and just spot-weld the wire to the wand. My dad's an electrician so finding the tools weren't too hard for me (you need a soldering iron). It's not too terribly expensive either, I got a ten foot length of the pipe for about $3. The only problem I've run into is finding a quartz crystal that will fit into the end to cap it off. (I have an onyx "egg" to cap off the other end.)
                    "Faries are too small for Rollercoasters" ~JJC
                    :boing:

Comment

Well I found two sticks which had already fallen off a willow tree, (where my infant and junior school is, I have memories of this tree from when I was younger, So I guess it makes it paticulary special to me), I'm starting drying them out now. I have decided to sketch pictures with ideas of what I might want it to look like.
                      Thanks for you many ideas

Comment

You know about 2 weekends ago I was taking a walk with my younger sister and my niece and cam across this cut branch that someone had left behind and I just had to have it. I was planning on decorating it and just keeping it as is, but now this thread has me thinking if I should convert it in to my wand. It’s fairly large so I would have to work on it and get it to a workable size.

Comment

I can't wait to start on mine, but I have to wait a while before I can do anything to it cos it needs to dry out

Comment

the wood I chose is a bit too big though. it’s a little longer than my arm and about ½ an inch in diameter. Another thing is I have no clue what type of wood it is. I found it lying in the side walk.

Comment

Working...
                            X