More advice needed......wands!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More advice needed......wands!!

I was just wondering for wands what wood do you preferably use....does it matter....

I heard oak is a dominant more commenly used wood.

Please reply thanks

peace, ckayser

:hailmol: hail to my questions!! hahahahaha

Thanks to KeelinConvallaria for the awesome banner!

"Yes, that is a large amount of corn......"

that's just funny

My adopted smilie...his name is Ouch

different woods have different meanings....so i guess intent would need to play a role too, i dont know i could be wrong, i dont really use wands so yae.....also you may want to try different woods out and find which one youre most comfortable with.
    ::hugs:: Sandra

thanks to halfwaynowhere for the great banner!

"nosce te ipsum"

My Space: http://www.myspace.com/savage_nun

Comment

Oak is used a lot because it is one of the strongest trees--it's a Chieftain in ogham. You can use any tree type for a wand depending what you want it for. You can have several wands if you want--a different wand for different situations.

Here's a nice little site I found about properties of trees:
      http://www.uponreflection.co.uk/ogham/trees_set1.htm
      Last edited by Verthandi; September 21st, 2004, 02:02 AM.

banner made by me!

Childfree and loving it.

What's this?

High Priestess of the Googlites

You actually want to know more about me?
      My LJ

Comment

Ash is supposed to be a good wood to use for wands, from what I've heard.
        "Witches do not kiss the Devil's posterior, first because they do not kiss anyone's posterior and, secondly, because the Devil is never there for anyone to kiss." - Gerald Gardner

Blessed Summer Greetings to All

Comment

Sorry, this is a little bit off topic...

Do you have any advice about how to finish a wand (or in my case, stang)? I've been debating whether to stain and seal it, but I'm just so afraid that I'm going to destroy it. Woodworking is definitely not my thing, so any help or pointers you can give me would be really great.

Comment

Depending on what I would use the wand for, I would sand it, then seal and finally stain it. ^_^""
            What we do in life echoes in eternity.

-Maximus

Comment

Frigga and I have wands made of sycamore--a tree all over the place in our area. However, I cannot find any sort of magickal correspondence for it. I'm not worried about it, but wanted to point out that you don't have to use a certain kind of wood unless you desire to do so. You are what make your tools powerful.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhiannon
              Priestess of Avalon, Daughter of the Gods

Comment

I haven't done anything to my stang, it's just as-is, bark and all. I did sand it down a smidgin though, just so that it didn't shed moss on my rug

I always like Hazel for wands

Comment

Originally posted by ~Emily~
                  Sorry, this is a little bit off topic...
                  Do you have any advice about how to finish a wand (or in my case, stang)? I've been debating whether to stain and seal it, but I'm just so afraid that I'm going to destroy it. Woodworking is definitely not my thing, so any help or pointers you can give me would be really great.
                  I periodically seal my wand and staff (both of which are unfinished,
                  and rough-barked) with frankincense resin. It really vitalizes
                  the object, preserves the wood, boosts it's attunation, and
                  even smells purdy. lol

I kneel in thanksgiving before thy alter, O Gloried Ones, and sing thee praise!
                  Truely thou art worthy of devotion!
                  Thy blessings surround and sustain me! I am filled with thy virtues, and rejoice:
                  Truely my life is but testament to thy glory!
                  Blessed be, above and below, to all, to one, and to Thee!

Comment

Originally posted by asamananara
                    I periodically seal my wand and staff (both of which are unfinished,
                    and rough-barked) with frankincense resin. It really vitalizes
                    the object, preserves the wood, boosts it's attunation, and
                    even smells purdy. lol
                    That's a nice idea asa! It hadn't occurred to me to use something like that; I'd always avoided sealants and varnishes because they're so chemically. I'd love to make a mugwort oil or beeswax and use that (I love mugwort... )

Comment

Copal, the mexican resin so popular in perfumery and incense,
                      makes a world-class varnish. It's even reputed to be the elusive
                      ingredient used by Stradivarius to impart such beautiful intonation
                      to his violins. Unfortunately, I've yet to work out a way of
                      making my own copal varnish which doesn't require an artisan's
                      expertise.
                      Last edited by asamananara; September 22nd, 2004, 06:22 AM.

I kneel in thanksgiving before thy alter, O Gloried Ones, and sing thee praise!
                      Truely thou art worthy of devotion!
                      Thy blessings surround and sustain me! I am filled with thy virtues, and rejoice:
                      Truely my life is but testament to thy glory!
                      Blessed be, above and below, to all, to one, and to Thee!

Comment

hrrrmmm, maybe you could melt it with some beeswax?

apart from that, i've heard orange oil works nicely on wood. smells good, too.

Comment

this may be little off topic but, I am a new pagan and I was wondering what wands are used for. I know that may sound rathe naive but I'm really curious
                          Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts.
                          - Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by StrongSpirit View Post
                            this may be little off topic but, I am a new pagan and I was wondering what wands are used for. I know that may sound rathe naive but I'm really curious
                            Very old thread getting ressurected here.

Wands are used to direct energy, to do magic, to cast the circle, to call the quarters, things like that. Some prefer to use an athame, some like to use both a wand and an athame for different things. Some use their finger or nothing at all, simply directing the energy throught the focus of their mind.

Not all Pagans use wands (or athames), just as not all Pagans cast a circle. Those are things that Witches and Wiccans primarily do.

Comment

I use Frankencense also lavender. Bees wax is what I use to seal mine.

I put gems on mine, so I wax it after I place them in the grooves.
                              "Everything is as it should be." Anon.

"True language speaks with one voice and is heard by all hearts." Gaia

BOO I've been ghosted

http://brigidrose.etsy.com
                              http://GemMagicbyBrigidrose.winkelf.com

Comment

Working...
                              X