Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonkissed Isis
    replied
    I'm new to the Green Witch path. I voted to give some of my own blood. I could never harm an animal or other living being for that matter. :weirdsmil

Leave a comment:

• Chaos Hawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Toby Stimpson View Post
    I wonder, if your Goddess or God appeared before you one day...surrounded by their eneregy and ordered you to give an offering of blood to them...what would you do?
    If this happened I certainly would not refuse. However I use my own blood often in rituals so to me it's nothing taboo.

Leave a comment:

• phathead
    replied
    Well that's an easy one....as an Olorisha, if any Orisha came down and told me to give them Eje (Blood)....I would be runnin' for the first chicken I could get my hands on !

Leave a comment:

• Gaudior
    replied
    I have no problem with animal sacrifice. Many of the deities I worship accept it anyhow, and I plan to incorporate it one day (mind you, I'll be living on a farm and raising animals for food and such, and said animals would be killed humanely and blessed, and the meat packaged and sent to markets and grocers).

Leave a comment:

• Neville
    replied
    I am not arguing, merely expressing an opinion which was solicited.

a) Not a medieval practice...an ancient one. b) Maybe you have - but for others it works just fine. It's a real sacrifice...water comes from the tap :P However, whatever your gods want is what you must give, IMO
    Be Well XXX

Leave a comment:

• Burning Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by Neville View Post
    A Totally Medieval practice IMO..And I accept fully the acts of my Kind of Pagan ancestry regarding Bog sacrifice. However .I am happy to give offerings to Water akin to Crystals etc, in the Absence of my Sword's.(Which I am keeping)

I in my ignorance thought we had moved on a little from Blood letting as apeasement or offerings to one's diety.
    a) Not a medieval practice...an ancient one. b) Maybe you have - but for others it works just fine. It's a real sacrifice...water comes from the tap :P However, whatever your gods want is what you must give, IMO

By Star And Sword,
    ~Jon~ :boing:

Leave a comment:

• Neville
    replied
    A Totally Medieval practice IMO..And I accept fully the acts of my Kind of Pagan ancestry regarding Bog sacrifice. However .I am happy to give offerings to Water akin to Crystals etc, in the Absence of my Sword's.(Which I am keeping)

I in my ignorance thought we had moved on a little from Blood letting as apeasement or offerings to one's diety.

Leave a comment:

• Shilme
    replied
    I'm not a new pagan and well I joined this forum specifically to respond to this thread because I am in an odd situation for it. I am Kemetic, not quite Kemetic Orthodoxy because well I admit that I am human and as a human will put my own twist on anything I touch and as a reconstruction religion they try to get as close as possible to the way the ancients did it I try to take that and add a bit of modern life into it. Ok so enough of the lesson for those who aren't familiar with the practice.
    As a Kemetic I can't be bleeding in a ritual area, when I am menstruating I cover my altar and leave it there until I am done. This is because I need to be ritually pure to come before my gods and if bleeding I simply can not be considered ritually pure. Also it is considered wasteful to not consume or use whatever I put in an offering.
    This being said yes I would make a blood offering, in my own mind I have. I offer every meal I make to the gods. And believe me before I put that steak or chicken on the grill it has blood in it. No I don't come before my altar and put the ingredients up there and meditate I don't have the time for that and honestly I don't think anyone does.
    I also consider the Eye of Ra and ankh I have tattooed on my back to have been a blood sacrifice. I didn't cut myself open or kill something to do it, nor did I go to my altar unclean but they have been around long enough they know how a tattoo works.

Oh and a note to all of those who said no on account of the Wiccan law of "Thou shall harm none". There is a difference (in my mind at least) between harm in the end and a bit of damage for a greater purpose. Giving blood "harms" you. When diabetics prick themselves to check their blood sugar they are "harming" themselves. When you pick a fruit off of a tree you harm it. When you get your pets fixed you sure as hell harm it (that is a practice I DON'T agree with but as it is culturally acceptable and many consider it necessary to keep their pets from interbreeding I figured I would put it in). So where do you guys draw the line and for that matter how do you sacrifice anything? A sacrifice requires minor harm to yourself or your estate because for it to be a sacrifice and not an offering it requires you to actually have a stake in it.

Leave a comment:

• tribalesque
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark_Tezcatlipoca View Post
    I would sacrifice an animals (have yet to do so) and have done my own blood. Humans would be a little hard to do in these times... So obviously not. For auto-sacrifice what do you guys use? I think needles are too hard. They go in but dont draw blood. So razor is what I use. I hear diabetic lancets are good but how do I use them? I dont know anything about them. But I know that the nurse drew blood from me (anemia test) with some little disposable pricking thingy, is that the same thing?
    Yeah, diabetic lancets are little tiny needles in a plastic handle used to prick fingertips to get a few drops of blood.

I would give my own blood (few drops from lancets) if asked for it by certain deities. I wouldn't harm animals or people, though. I don't really see giving a few drops of blood, or a whole pint of blood from another as a sacrifice. What am I giving up for it? It doesn't require anything much from me at all.

If any deity asked me to cause bodily harm to myself of others I'd refuse. Though, I don' t really see any of deities I know asking for that. Like someone mentioned before, if they did, my respect for them would lessen, or completely diminish.

I've used lancets to draw blood to stain runes. But that was to give them blood and life's hue, not as a sacrifice.

Leave a comment:

• Inquisitive Soul
    replied
    I've been thinking about this more.. maybe it's just me, but I really can't picture Kali asking for blood. I mean, I know she's *bloodthirsty* but I see it in more of a metaphorical (I have no idea if that's the right word) sense. I don't see her that way nor do I have a connection to her in that way. I don't know, she's really more like a mother figure to me. On one hand, I could picture her asking for a sacrifice, which I would be more than happy to make for her, but I really don't think she would ask for blood of mine or anyone/thing else's. For me, it seems more likely that she would test me in some way or ask me to sacrifice something of myself and things I am depending upon. Maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't think that my relationship with her would be *wrong* in anyway or that my view of her would be *wrong* either because she is like a part of me now. Maybe I'm not a good follower of hers, I don't know.

Sorry, I'm just thinking in type now. ^_^

Leave a comment:

• RubyRose
    replied
    I'd decline.

Leave a comment:

• BenSt
    replied
    Originally posted by Inquisitive Soul View Post
    I'm a daughter of Kali and I wouldn't put it past her to ask of a blood offering. I would definitely offer my own blood first, and if she wouldn't accept that, well I don' t know what I would do honestly. I can't imagine killing an animal or a human for that matter and would make myself sick with guilt. Am I a bad daughter? Perhaps. It's really up to her, however, and I'd have to be in the situation to know what I would do.
    Returning to this thread three years later, I have to comment.

I worship Kali as well. Kali doesn't ask or Human blood. There have been people who have thought that she has but she never has asked in scripture or other for human blood. She does ask for blood in some ways and ofcourse it would have to be in a right context... and usually a Goat is good enough. I don;t think though that as worshippers we're necessarily the ones to do it, leave it for the Brahmins.

Leave a comment:

• Inquisitive Soul
    replied
    This is very true. Thank you for that suggestion. =]

Leave a comment:

• Russ
    replied
    Originally posted by Inquisitive Soul View Post
    I'm a daughter of Kali and I wouldn't put it past her to ask of a blood offering. I would definitely offer my own blood first, and if she wouldn't accept that, well I don' t know what I would do honestly. I can't imagine killing an animal or a human for that matter and would make myself sick with guilt. Am I a bad daughter? Perhaps. It's really up to her, however, and I'd have to be in the situation to know what I would do.
    You could always ask for a donation from someone you know and trust.

Leave a comment:

• Bettie
    replied
    I don't have a problem with a blood sacrifice, if it's necessary.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X