My thoughts on Reconstructionism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on Reconstructionism

This past week I came across some information on the god Mars, and had a very good time reading it. It was a spiritual experience actually. As I read the information, I could almost swear Mars was present himself, or at least lurking in the background guiding my thoughts. I have always recognized a bit of a warrior spirit within me, yet have no lust for blood or any number of other traits most typical warriors have. But as I read about the god who was first an agricultural deity, somewhere in there I made the connection that gave me insight no only into the god himself, but also into a part of my own psyche.

I am very familiar with this type of spiritual experience. Not that it happens that often for me, but because it is so popular in Evangelical Christianity. We were always encouraged to read the Bible daily, expecting God to speak to us through the passages we read. And many people do live happily on this type of spiritual diet. They read, they study, and God becomes personal to them and mystically guides their life.

But I also found that things don't work the same way for me. I don't know why, but for some reason it doesn't. My dad reads his Bible every morning, but when I tried (diligently, mind you!) it never produced the desired affect. I had to find my own method for connection to the Divine, one that incidentally works best off of other people's tales of their experiences. Somehow the knowledge of what others have experienced leads the way for me to have experiences of my own. Why? IDK.

When it comes to Hellenic Reconstruction, I feel there is room for only one type of spirituality; the same one I never could make work from my youth. I cannot force myself to read countless volumes of materials, waiting for those few "Aha!" moments when that which is Divine touches down in our hearts and makes it all worthwhile. Why? Because it doesn't happen often enough in my case! If research and study were able to produce a consistent spiritual diet, then it might be an option. But as it is, the only reward for study I have found is the approval of other people who also spend their time studying. And that's not what religion is about, at least not for me!
    Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower
Working...
X