X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Hellenismos and reconstruction.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfpoet View Post
      Man, I'd love to live in your black and white world! Must be so much fun riding that high horse.

Incidently the Aesir are only half the Norse faith, they followed two pantheons. There where also the Vanir. Also the giants figure prominently in nordic beliefs, often providng the role of protagonist but sometimes they could be heroes, or at least anti-hero like figures.

The nordic faith is rich and very insightful. However it is also pretty bleak and uncompromising, such was their culture. The Norse favoured common sense over wool gathering. Which is perhaps what this world needs today, just bear in min that the Nordic beleifs are not cute and bubbly. The Norse Gods are a fatalistic bunch but they offer much knowledge.

Fatalistic bunch, eh? They know they're going to win Ragnarok (albeit with some sacrifices) and a brand new world where things will grow without the need to cultivate, and a new Golden Age ruled by Balder will result.

They did follow Wyrd, but that's completely different than "fatalistic".
      I Fight The Backlash and Put It In Its Place!

"There was an old ideal, "The truth shall prevail." But the modern ideal seems to be, "See that the truth shall be unknown, so that it may not prevail."" -- Gerald Gardner, The Meaning of Witchcraft

Comment

Originally posted by Carla O'Harris View Post
        Fatalistic bunch, eh? They know they're going to win Ragnarok (albeit with some sacrifices) and a brand new world where things will grow without the need to cultivate, and a new Golden Age ruled by Balder will result.

Study their history and culture. But try to do it from an objective viewpoint for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfpoet View Post
          Study their history and culture. But try to do it from an objective viewpoint for a change.

Buddy, you obviously don't know who you're talking to. I might, however, advise the same for you.
          I Fight The Backlash and Put It In Its Place!

"There was an old ideal, "The truth shall prevail." But the modern ideal seems to be, "See that the truth shall be unknown, so that it may not prevail."" -- Gerald Gardner, The Meaning of Witchcraft

Comment

... turns around and walks out of thread...

Comment

I wonder why you bother Wolfpoet, some people can't see beyond their own personal context.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Comment

Originally posted by Hellenic_Witch View Post
                No,not everyone who honors or worships the Greek gods today is a reconstructionist. The term reconstructionist means that you reconstruct your religion as closely as you can to the way it was practiced long ago. I conside rmyself a Hellenic Reconstructionist because I adhere to certain beliefs and practices in my every day life, living my life to honor my gods. Since the original question asked about titles, I will tell you that I refer to myself as a Hellenist and my path is Hellenismos. Reconstructing rituals, giving offerings and libations, showing gratitude to my gods is a large part of this. Also, I try to follow the Delphic Maxims, practise piety, and always strive to better myself because not to do so would be an offense to my gods.

If you are interested in Hellenism, read as much as you can. Sponde.com is a nice, user-friendly site to visit for the basics. And Sannion at Sannion's Sanctuary has written a very nice piece, What is Hellenismos,that is wonderful.

I'm somewhat new to Hellenismos, and others could probably explain it far better than I. But for me, it is basically living a life of reverence and respect for my gods, which I express through taking the time to study and put into practice how they where originally worshipped and honored. Now, there are other Hellenic paths, there are Hellenic traditionalists and Hellenic Wiccans, but I can't claim to know anything about them or their practices.

For me, Hellenismos is a religion of orthopraxy and prayers and rituals and how you go about them are very important.

Sorry, I know nothing of Asatru.
                Beautifully stated.
                Our Rules|Copyright Policy |FAQ

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
                It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
                And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
                Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
                One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

~From Ulysses, by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by Carla O'Harris View Post

I hope i don't seem rude, but that seems like a 'too perfect' world, which i don't think can exist, plus people (including gods) win wars 'cause of power, not 'cause they are 'good' or 'cause the Jotun are 'evil' (which i didn't think they are as isn't Hel a Jotun?, anyone feel free to correct me ), plus if Balder reigns over this 'new world', then what happens to the non-Norse gods, i can't imagine Yahweh being happy with a change in managment, and all the other gods (e.g. African, Aztec, etc, those deities that pride themselves on being individual).

Plus, saying it'll be a world 'where things will grow without the need to cultivate' is a bit too 'perfect' and is something i don't see happening.

Also, having too much 'good' in the world can be just as bad as too much 'evil' in the world (i know they're shows but in Charmed and Angel, that exactly happened and, basically too much 'good' wasn't really 'good' at all, like i said, i know it's fiction, but i think it shows the message well).

I think the world, the universe, nature, etc need a balance, think Yin and Yang, 'good' and 'evil', light/darkness, etc. In Aztec beliefs, the universe (or multiverse) thrives on balance, and if one system or power dominates, the universe, basically, starts to break down.

Comment

i don't know where the word asatru comes from, i would imagine it originated in germany pre-christianity. i heard it means simply "true to the gods."

Comment

*shakes head* Please, spar elsewhere, as its not likely helping the OP.

As for the Vanir being included, they are indeed another group of norse gods. However there was a bit of a war in heaven, and many of the vanir came to the aesir as hostages, and over time the two "tribes" of gods have become rather mixed. So really its not odd for an Asautru to worship a Vanir, not in the least.
                      :boing:-meet bob the boing

Tainted beauties have destroyed the hearts and minds of men, but the damned have only themselves to blame.

On my tombstone I want carved:
                      He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

What do you do when youve forgotten how to cry, when tears are beyond you and anger cannot find you, when all you have left is pain and frustration where shall you turn?
                      When life is hell, givem heck!
                      \Enosiophobia or Enissophobia- Fear of having committed an unpardonable sin or of criticism
                      "some people say that things just happen...well, I say they're meant to be. If not made for someone who's broken, then I fear that these things werent made for me."

- Asthmorte

http://www.myspace.com/grey86

Comment

Non-macho, obnoxious Asatruar here.... Cliona, you will find all the info you could ever need (not in a book) on Heathenry and Asatru with the links on these pages.

http://www.friggasweb.org/fwlinks.html

This one page here should answer all your basic questions tho.

http://www.asatru-u.org/beginner/asa...er-outline.htm

Best wishes on your search for the hole in which to place your peg.

Comment

Originally posted by seapearls View Post
                          Non-macho, obnoxious Asatruar here.... Cliona, you will find all the info you could ever need (not in a book) on Heathenry and Asatru with the links on these pages.

http://www.friggasweb.org/fwlinks.html

This one page here should answer all your basic questions tho.

http://www.asatru-u.org/beginner/asa...er-outline.htm

Best wishes on your search for the hole in which to place your peg.
                          I just found that second link last night. From what I've read, it looks like a good introduction.
                          There is no emotion; there is peace
                          There is no ignorance; there is knowledge
                          There is no passion; there is serenity
                          There is no death; there is the Force

Comment

Originally posted by Cliona View Post
                            I was also wondering if there is a name for those who believe in the Greek gods?
                            Hellenic/Greek polytheist
                            Hellenic/Greek Pagan

You may want to check out this site: http://www.winterscapes.com/sannion/...polytheism.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Cliona View Post
                              I have heard that Asatru is the name for those who believe in the Norse gods. I was wondering what the name means and where it came from?

I was also wondering if there is a name for those who believe in the Greek gods?

Many who follow the Norse gods call themselves Asatru, not all.

As for the Greeks...yes to all that Hellenic Witch said. And thensome. Myself, I am a follower of the greek gods...and I mostly refer to myself as "a follower of the Greek gods"...some others may refer to themselves as Hellenes, Hellenic, Hellenismos etc. And there are also those that believe you shouldn't refer to yourself as a Hellene unless you are actually of Greek descent or a citizen of Greece because it has specific nationalistic connotations. I sometimes use "Hellenic" myself...but it really depends on whom I'm talking to and if I know that they know what I'm talking about or not.

I am a hard polytheist (believing in all of the gods as their own individual entities) who basically practices two religions at the same time...I worship the greek gods in what I consider to be a semi-reconstructionist conext, but I am also a member of Ar nDraiocht Fein, and I worship the Greek gods in that context as well, and to a much lesser degree many other gods.

(Ar nDraiocht Fein is a neopagan, neo-Druidic religious organization that embraces all Indo-Europen cultures and the worship of their gods.)
                              Memories of Pain and Light
                              http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
                              You, I cannot worship by halves.

Hellenic Web Forum- http://forum.hellenistai.com

Comment

Working...
                              X