Scottish Heritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Heritage

I've never though about it much, being primarily of German descent, but my grandfather's family on my mother's side are entirely Scottish. Their name is Guffey now, but it used to me MacGuffey. Anyway, I am interesting in studying a little bit about Scottish folk lore and traditions. Most of the stuff I research seems to be Irish or just generally "celtic". Is there a special name for the old pagan traditions of the people of scotland, or are they tied closely to irish traditions? Is anyone an expert on this subject, or at least in the know? =3 Thanks!

Natural Aromatic Cedar Wood Blocks

~The Pokemon Playground Area!

This subject is huge. Even though I'm English I find that my next door neighbours have a grand historic legend of myths and fables. All of it from the Loch Ness Monster to the Kelpies and the fairies and the dragons. You could locate books dedicated to Scottish folklore and mysteries.

I have a big dated book "Folklore Myths and Legends of Britain" by Readers Digest.

Have a look at this one:
    According to folklore, a family of werewolves used to live on an island on Loch Langavat. The story suggests that the now dead werewolves would return should their graves be found and disturbed.
    http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/f...folktales.html
    :boing:The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.:boing:

Comment

Scottish pride.

Most of what we know from ancient Scotland was written by the Irish or the Romans, so there isn't a lot to go on in terms of the specifics of their religions. Remember also, that before they became the Scots, they were many different tribes, probably all with their own way of doing things.

You could try researching the individual tribes themselves, but I don't think you'll find much in terms of concrete details. It's assumed that the Scottish tribes practiced similar Celtic polytheism as their Irish cousins; but all these tribes at one point or another overlapped, merged, became something else. It's a very complex and confusing period of history.

But the tribes:

Picts
      Votadini
      Cornovii
      Epidii
      Novantae

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, but there's many more. In terms of folklore, there's lots and lots of Scottish poetry and stories, but much of it wouldn't be what I'd call particularly "pagan".

Comment

Originally posted by OneOfMoswen View Post
        I've never though about it much, being primarily of German descent, but my grandfather's family on my mother's side are entirely Scottish. Their name is Guffey now, but it used to me MacGuffey. Anyway, I am interesting in studying a little bit about Scottish folk lore and traditions. Most of the stuff I research seems to be Irish or just generally "celtic". Is there a special name for the old pagan traditions of the people of scotland, or are they tied closely to irish traditions? Is anyone an expert on this subject, or at least in the know? =3 Thanks!
        Get in touch with Seren the host on the Celtic Reconstructionalist Forum here. She lives in Scotland, studies their traditions and is a font of information on Gaelic culture.

Searles O'Dubhain

Comment

Okay, thank you all for your suggestions. =) I'm gonna keep studying. Maybe find a way to research my family history so that I can find out exactly who my ancestors were.

Natural Aromatic Cedar Wood Blocks

~The Pokemon Playground Area!

Comment

You could maybe start with your clan name, assuming you have one. Clan names are left over remnants of the Gaelic family names. For instance, mine is MacFarlane, which means "son of Pharlain".

That might give you a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by OneOfMoswen View Post
              Like Aruinn said, there've been a lot of different cultures/peoples in Scotland over time, so it's kind of complicated. In addition to the tribes that Aruinn mentioned there are the Dal Riadans, who were Irish colonists, so there's definitely a close tie in between Scotland and Ireland in a lot of what we see (but that's not to say they're exactly the same).

For good sources of info on Scottish folklore, I can suggest a few books to get started:

Carmina Gadelica - Alexander Carmichael
              The Gaelic Otherworld - Ronald Black
              The Silver Bough - F Marian McNeill (four volumes)
              Folklore of the Scottish Highlands - Anne Ross

If you're looking for specifically pagan books that deal with this kind of subject then I can't think of any, to be honest. There are modern names for 'Scottish' paganism(s), but as far as I'm aware these are mostly used by reconstructionists or similar.

Originally posted by odubhain View Post
              Get in touch with Seren the host on the Celtic Reconstructionalist Forum here. She lives in Scotland, studies their traditions and is a font of information on Gaelic culture.
              I'm not a foum guide anymore, not for a good year or two now, but I do still lurk. And thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Seren_ View Post
                I'm not a foum guide anymore, not for a good year or two now, but I do still lurk. And thanks
                what about skilly-Nilly? is she a guide for this forum?
                MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by lightdragon View Post
                  Yes, she's the guide for this forum, I was the Recon forum guide. I'm not sure who the guide is there now, or if there is one.

Comment

Originally posted by lightdragon View Post
                    Yes, I am.

I really enjoyed Before Scotland by Alistair Moffat

http://www.amazon.com/Before-Scotlan...2456074&sr=8-1

But Seren is the real expert on this subject.
                    *I am a mystic and work through Imbas rather than re-constructive archeology. Lore, history, and research are vital tools and permit us to validate and amplify communications we recieve. Disagreement and referencing of materials are also welcome benchmarks. What I say is not the 'Truth' but only my perception/opinion/belief and I am happy to give the same consideration to everyone else's point of view.*

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

"everyone [is] entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." Stephen Colbert

Comment

Working...
                    X