Where should I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I start?

I'm really interested in this path and not surs where I should begin. I read about Celtics and Druids online but not sure if there's a huge difference between them or not. There's so much I want to read about but want a beginner book to get me started and than I'll take it from there. Please list books on what I should read and give me a difference between Celtic and Druids. I'll be happy to hear everyone's insight on it.
    Thank you!!

Be Gentle With The Earth

I’d suggest this 3-pronged approach:

1) Read anything and everything you can about many different practices.

2) Become aware of your consciousness. We humans on this plane have been given this outrageous gift of consciousness. You are here Right Now and this awareness opens up the doors.

3) Be patient. Connecting with “what is out there” is like connecting with a cat. You know how sometimes you want her to come over and get on your lap, but the cat totally ignores you? And other times you want her to come over and she does so right away? It’s like that. Sometimes things work and sometimes they don’t, but the more you work at it the easier it will be to get the cat to sit on your lap.
    And there is also the flip-side of this cat analogy. Sometimes the cat is trying to get on your lap and you just want her to leave you alone. Well sometimes “what is out there” is waving it’s arms and trying to get your attention but you are too consumed with thinking about things which don’t really mater at that moment.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonAmethyst View Post
      Please list books on what I should read and give me a difference between Celtic and Druids.
      We're here to help you, but you have got to learn how to use Google first before asking these kinds of questions. A better question would be, once you've learned for yourself and you still don't know, is "Can anyone help me clarify such-and-such"?

Not "give me the knowledge I won't search for myself."

https://www.google.com/search?q=diff...ient=firefox-a

https://www.google.com/search?q=books+on+celts+and+druids&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
      Last edited by Heliotrope; May 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM.
      ---

[you have been visited by a heliotrope]

[hi]

Comment

Thank you! That's what I'm looking for. Both your answers were very helpful! I love to read so I can visual and conect with the words on paper. My mind is very open but I don't agree with everything I read or have differences but I'm open to reading about different things. Just trying to find things I feel connected with in my heart. I'm the same way about books, music and movies I watch in my spare time.

I searched for it I just wanted a second opinion. I'm a beginner to all of this and didn't know where to start.
        Last edited by MoonAmethyst; May 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM.

Be Gentle With The Earth

Comment

Thank you! That's what I'm looking for. Both your answers were very helpful! I love to read so I can visual and conect with the words on paper. My mind is very open but I don't agree with everything I read or have differences but I'm open to reading about different things. Just trying to find things I feel connected with in my heart. I'm the same way about books, music and movies I watch in my spare time.

I searched for it I just wanted a second opinion. I'm a beginner to all of this and didn't know where to start.
          Not knowing where to start will stop you before you've begun. It doesn't matter where, just START! :D Agaliha here does a deity of the week thing, and there is a wealth of resources here to read. Try starting with your local library, and if they aren't helpful in the pagan area, try your bookstore or Amazon. It's always a toss-up as to whether or not a book is worth reading, so a lot of your discovery will have to be based on your discretion. Just try to use common sense and stay away from people that ask for money, that offer to get you more money, etc. It's usually crap.

Maybe try first some Isaac Bonewitz. He was an American druid with all kinds of published material.
          ---

[hi]

Comment

Here is some more reading material for you that I discovered this morning...

http://www.seanet.com/~inisglas/index.html -- insights, articles, rituals, and poetry

http://www.paganachd.com/faq/index.html -- Celtic Reconstructionist FAQs
            ---

[hi]

Comment

There's so much I want to read about but want a beginner book to get me started and than I'll take it from there. Please list books on what I should read
              First, starting off with some beginning material about Neopaganism in general would help. It'd not just get you more detail about Celtic and Druidic paths, but other pagan revival paths that you might become interested in, but not know much about.
              Secondly, some books by Isaac Bonewits are a must, if you're interested in Druidism rather than Celtic Reconstructionism. Even then, I'd still recommend his stuff since he's played such a pivotal role in the development of the modern pagan movement.
              But, either way, I'd say to just google as much information as you can and look up as many books as you can and then see if you can find them at local bookstores or online.

and give me a difference between Celtic and Druids.
              Celtic is a cultural term, referring to modern and ancient cultures descended from the Celtic peoples and societies of Antiquity. Regions like Scotland, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Wales, and Brittany are all considered "Celtic" in their culture and language. Britain as a whole could be considered partly so, since it's resulted from the admixture of Celtic and Germanic cultures over the centuries.
              Druids were the learned caste in ancient Celtic cultures, and Druidism is the modern revival of Celtic cultural ways and spirituality, usually focused on animism and polytheism as part of a general movement towards reviving ancient pagan beliefs and practices.
              Though this was something you can google yourself. You ought to get used to using that. It will help loads.

Comment

Thank you! I'm reading articles about it. And bought books on Druids!

Be Gentle With The Earth

Comment

Working...
                X