Question regarding The Morrigan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding The Morrigan!

Hello! I hate being a newbie. I always feel like a sitting duck, haha.

I have a question! Should I refer to the Morrigan as one goddess altogether? I am confused about this and embarrassed. :X

Love again;
    there is a fire.

Although it is speculated that her name could be a title of a triad of goddesses(Morrيgna), it is generally accepted that An Mhَr-Rيoghain is a goddess known by other designations, so I see nothing wrong with referring to her as one goddess.
    Semper Fidelis

Comment

Micheal is correct.

The Morrighan or Morrigan is one goddess. Even "the" is in the name she is one goddess. It's basically like a title for her more than a name

Comment

I disagree. If she is one goddess then why are Annan, Badb and Macha said to be related?

My Author Page
        That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always.

Comment

Don't be embarrassed.

In the coven I am dedicating to, one of the members works mostly with the Morrigan and he considers her to be a single Goddess that embodies three different aspects.

This, however, is up to you discover. There is no right or wrong answer. After all, seeking and discovering is all part of the journey!

Blessed be!
          Last edited by winter rose; October 4th, 2015, 09:02 AM.

"perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave." Rilke.

Comment

If you look at Irish mythology, it is full of a triard of Gods and Goddesses.

The Irish loved the number three, and held it sacred - from Irish myths involving the number three, their concept of their world (Land, Sea and Sky), to their Deities.

The Morrighan is one of these Goddesses who is a triard Goddess. She is believed to be composed of 3 other figures - Macha, Badb and Nemain (all loosely translated to evoke the words "Crow", "Fury", "Frenzy"). The Morrighan's name itself translates to "Great Queen". To understand her role (and the three figures that make her up, or that are described as her sisters) you really have to read Irish mythology where the Morrighan plays an important role, as well as understand ancient Irish culture.

I will leave it up to the "newbies" and those interested in the Great Queen to read and research (its all part of learning!).

Another example of an Irish triard Goddes who is well known is Brighid. Sometimes described as 3 sisters each with the same name, or sometimes described as 3 aspects of the same Goddess - she is patroness of the smith crafting, healing and poetry. She is associated with fire and the hearth (fire relating not only to literal fire and smith crafting, but also fire of love for healing and family - the hearth fire; as well as the fire of creativity and poetry).

Read read read! Is all I can say as one who is familiar with the Irish ways. Stay away from more new age literature, and read the mythology and folklore first. If you really want to understand ancient pre-christian Irish culture, tradition and spirituality, I'd suggest looking up Irish Reconstructionism (or Irish Gaelic Polytheism) which you will find under the umbrella branch of "Celtic Polytheism" or "Celtic Reconstructionism", and go from there.

There is a forum here devoted just to the Reconstructionist religions. Or you can find your friendly Gaelic Polytheist here on MW (Hi!), and feel free to ask questions :-) Never be afraid to ask ANY question! We all started somewhere, and probably had similar questions ourselves.

M
            Last edited by Morr; October 4th, 2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I either wasn't aware of the healing and family connection until now or I'd forgotten it along the way. Suddenly her appearance in my life since my mum's passing makes a lot more sense.

My Author Page
              That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always.

Comment

Originally posted by RubyRose View Post
                I either wasn't aware of the healing and family connection until now or I'd forgotten it along the way. Suddenly her appearance in my life since my mum's passing makes a lot more sense.
                Yup, Brighid is very family/hearth oriented, and is also known to have a healer aspect/quality. She is a fire Goddess - Fire of healing, fire of the hearth, fire of creativity, fire of crafting (specifically smith crafting). I believe her name translates to "Fiery Arrow", more or less. Also, in Irish polytheism/pre-christian paganism, there is a concept of "Fire In The Head". The ancient Irish believed the soul of the person, their spark of life, their fire - was in their head. That is why, if you delve into Irish mythology and folklore further, there are accounts of Irish warriors carrying around their dead enemies' (the ones they personally killed!) heads on their belts. They believed that by doing so they were holding their enemies' souls hostage.

Comment

Working...
                X