The Blue Lotus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blue Lotus

Wow, I just noticed we have our own forum. That's NEAT!

The Blue Lotus seemed like a good name for this thread. Back on the House of Netjer's online temple site, I actually created this thread on the private side, but no one there really seemed to grasp what I was doing. Here on MW, we have various caf├ęs, bars, grilles, taverns, palaces, meadows and assorted other conglomerations of likeminded people coming together in a single thread in much the same way that they would if it had been a real-life place. (Well, okay, sometimes the fantasy aspect gets a little out of hand, but anyway....)

So.... I'd like to keep this thread right here in this forum, rather than in Just Silly, and have it be a kind of fellowship thread. Or a slow motion chatroom. Or a real-life pub where people actually drop in every now and then and share a story or a joke or ask a question or just get a sympathetic ear. And if we happen to fantasize about feeding the giant blue hippo in the reflection pool in the courtyard, so be it. (His name's William, btw.... just like the little faience version.)

So with that in mind, I'm saying a big Em Hotep! to everyone here and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better in more of a social setting than an academic one. (I never get to let my hair down very much on the House's site. It's probably for the best. I'm insane, after all.)

And now I'm going to order some melokkia soup, catfish kufta, and a glass of beer (because our barkeep Kheruef used to be an ancient Egyptian ushabti, so he knows how to brew authentic Kemetic beer).

**tells a serving girl that she's going to take her meal out under a palm tree by the reflecting pool so she can visit William and feed him some hippo snacks**

**edited to add** If you're reading this post for the first time, don't feel obligated to read the entire thread (especially once it gets to be more than three pages long). Just like if you were entering a real tavern and coming upon new friends who are talking, all you really need to do is go to the end of the thread and read the last three or four posts in order to have a clue what's being talked about at that moment in time.

So please, feel welcome. Ask questions, wear a costume if you want to (or don't if you don't feel like it), pat our gray female cat Miu Sher, nod and smile to the serving girls, order anything you want from Kheruef the barkeep (he doesn't speak, though.... hazards of having been an ushabti, I guess), and relax in the air conditioning while watching your favorite movies, shows and documentaries on the big flatscreen TV on the wall, or else go out and sunbathe by the reflecting pool and say hello to William. (Yes, he really is blue.) He likes treats, too, so be sure to grab a few chunks of HippoSnax on your way to see him. (And he likes having his butt scratched for some reason. He's weird.)

**editing to add our new banner (in case people don't see where it's posted in the thread), courtesy of very talented and wonderful Shepenmut**
    Last edited by Ahautenites; December 2nd, 2005, 07:03 AM.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

*orders a big plate of sushi and plum wine and settles onto a cushion under the palm tree... sees the hippo and moves a little further away... in a nice patch of sunlight*
    ...mmm... Sushi...

Em hotep! So NeferSesemet, good idea. I don't think I noticed the thread on the private side.
    How are ya doing?

Neheti
    Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Comment

I'm doing well, Neheti. Thanks. How are you?

Yeah, that thread over there got moved very quickly to the literature section. And then when people stopped posting in it, it got removed altogether. **shrugs** Ah well.

I had no idea there was so much interest around here in Egyptian stuff. When I first came to MW, they had already removed the old Egyptian forum because there wasn't enough interest. And mol refused to add one until just recently because he still didn't see a need for one. I'm glad it's here now. It's much easier to find the stuff I'm interested in without having to forum-hop.

I still owe HetHert (the MW member) a list of all the Egyptian books I own. I've just been too lazy to find them at the moment. (I'm rearranging stuff in my room, so half of my books are in boxes in my brother's room while he's away.)

**orders a banana split from the serving girl passing by**

This seems like a good place to ask the question: Do you or any other Egyptian-type people have a holiday tree with Kemetic-themed stuff on it?

I do. :D I've decided to call it my WeSolstiMas tree. (Part Wesir Mysteries, part Winter Solstice, and part Christmas.) I'm trying to make ornaments for it out of super sculpey. So far, I have just one. It's a sun disk with a snake draped over it. (I got the design from looking at this painted papyrus I have on my wall.) Other than that, it looks like a regular Christmas tree, but with silver star garland and a silver, glittery star for the top, and the five birds associated with the Tree of Life. I'm thinking I'll add one handmade ornament each year. I know Kemetic Orthodox practitioners usually frown on it, but I like having a tree, and I like being strange, so this works for me.

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

*shrugs* We're decorating, already have lights and whatnot. I'm doing it for Yule, since I still practice Wicca in addition to Kemetic Orthodoxy. So yeah, I've got a Wesir-Solstice thing coming along.

But we don't have room in our tiny apartment for a tree, so we're hanging a garland and our ornaments will be attached to it.

We have a tradition that we buy a Yule ornament every year.

I'm gonna steal the sculptey idea... realizes that she just gave away her left over sculptey... doh...

Neheti
        Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Comment

Well, just because you don't have more sculptey doesn't mean you can't make your own playdough or clay: Dough and Clay Recipes

Piece of cake, er, clay.

Comment

Why thankee. I've done stuff like that before for Samhain. it's fun to make skulls and the like in dough.

Now to decide what kinds of ornaments to make... *goes to plotting*

Neheti

Comment

Em hotep everyone!

*looks around The Blue Lotus*
              Nice little place we have here! May I get a karkade?

So, yes, decorating and ornaments: I have two large lithographs representing scenes from the tomb of Nakht. They usually are in my bedroom, but tonight they are being moved to the living room and will take centre stage in my holiday decorations. No tree for me, but lots of evergreen garlands to adorn the altar table where I do senut.

I am a bit of a minimalist so I usually do not put many ornaments out, but Kemetic-themed ornaments sound like a brilliant idea to me! Time to get crafty

Comment

**Evil laugh** I'm starting a trend, I see. Soon, the entire Winter Holiday World will be FILLED with images of blue baboons kissing under mistletoe and presents will be wrapped in spun gold and ornamented with scarabs and cobras instead of bows and ribbons. Muahaahahaha!!

Uh, yeah... sorry. I get carried away sometimes. But I promise that when I take over the world, I will give cookies and milk to everyone who has been good and rotten radishes (in lieu of coal, which is getting ever more expensive) to everyone who hasn't been good.

**orders lobster lo mein and an eggroll, and a bottle of Park Ave. Punch, then settles herself on some comfy pillows on the floor, only halfway paying attention to The Mummy Returns playing on the large flatscreen TV on the wall**

I love being Kemetic, but I still find it so hard to relate to the cycle of seasons. It's so out of sync with the four seasons I'm used to here in Massachusetts. **idly reaches out and pats a sleek gray cat with a silver, lapis, and turquoise collar** This is Miu Sher, the official spokesfeline of the Blue Lotus Tavern. If my cat at home had a female twin, Miu would be it.

Comment

*orders a nice plate of enchiladas and a margarita*

I'm so looking forward to make a couples Ankhs and Djed pillars and whatnot. :D It'll be nice to have those personal touches to it all.

*eats rapidly* I'm off to the last meeting of the Pagan Student Alliance on my campus until Spring. I'm the president so I can't be late.. in fact, better to be early.

Neheti

Comment

*Enters the blue lotus and orders a beer with buffalo wings*

I had my tree up for weeks it so pretty concerned about the electricity bill the lights haven’t been off since putting them on the tree.

Too bad there aren’t any Egyptian themed ornaments sold in regular stores like Kmart. Just imagining Aset as an angel topping the tree that would be super cool better than the one currently there.

*Looks at hippo hey there William love the miniature versions of you*
                    Last edited by TaysatWesir; February 20th, 2006, 07:22 PM.

Comment

*Enters The Blue Lotus carrying a senet board*
                      Em hotep! Anyone up for a game of senet?

*Digs into a plate of koshary and orders a piece of basboosa for dessert*

Ladies and gentlemen, it is snowing in Vancouver right now! What's the weather like where you are?
                      So yes, Nefer Sesemet, I definitely hear you when you talk about being out of sync with the Kemetic cycle of seasons!

Ooh, Shepenmut, this is one nifty banner! Well done!

Comment

*Drinking her beer and orders a pizza pie*

Thank you Ishtara I had fun making it for this thread. I wish it would snow over here lately the weather has been awkward.
                        Last edited by TaysatWesir; December 2nd, 2005, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Well, there are some ancient Egyptian themed ornaments, but they're very hard to come by, even online. I saw one place selling them as souvenirs from Egypt. And another place has the beautiful blown-glass ones that are more Arabic than Kemetic. They're still lovely, though.

Woot! Rock on! Senet!

I have a paper cut-out version that came as part of a big kid's Egypt Exploration book, but I've never taken it out of the package to learn how the game is played.

Mmm, basboosa.... I keep looking at that recipe in my recipe book (the binder I have of recipes I find online), and wondering if I shouldn't make that soon. It always sounds so good.

The weather where I am is just around 4 degrees C, but it's partly sunny and the sun will be setting in about an hour. We haven't had any substantial snow yet. Just dustings every now and then. But they disappear as soon as they hit the ground.

**orders chocolate cake with raspberry sauce**

I was out at a homegoods store today looking for a loose tea strainer and a mortar and pestle. There were no tea strainers, and the mortars they had there were too large for my needs. But I didn't leave emptyhanded. I ended up buying these cute glazed porcelain cats that have ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs and art on them as well as lotus collars. Hey, here's one!

Here's a bunch of others.

Why are they so expensive? I only paid $12.99 each for mine.
                          Last edited by Ahautenites; December 2nd, 2005, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Those porcelain cats are beautiful lovely for a shrine setting. Too bad they did not make those ornaments over here.

*Yawns with big open mouth, looks like right now William*

I think its going to snow soon but with this crazy weather who knows.

Comment

*the non-Kemetic sneaks into the Lotus to give her sis, NeferSesemet, a hug*

I've been gone for a bit and all this new stuff pops up! Hope you don't mind if I steal a seat and listen to your chatting.
                              Oh Noz Oppression!
                              Because life is so much more exciting when you're being persecuted.

Easy English Grammar Lesson:

Your - the possessive form of you

You're - a contraction of "you are"

Comment

Working...
                              X