The New Tales of the Gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Tales of the Gods

I'm just posting these because I've been letting my mind wander. I was wondering where the old tales had come from. Who thought of them, who imparted them, and that kind of thing.

They are just my own mind wandering, and new people shouldn't take them as factual or traditional historical material. If you want, you can add your own tales. I have a few more that I'm working on, too. (The Return of the Eyes of Apep, The Legend of Axex the Akhekh, The Handmaidens of Nit, The Sacred Elephant, Ma’at Regains Her Feather, The New Contendings of the Gods, and Concordance are a few of the ones I still want/need to write.)

The Awakening of The Children of Netjer

After the last of the children of Netjer had become “enlightened” by the Romans who had invaded their land, one by one, the Names stopped paying so much attention to the world of men, for the world of men had forsaken Them. The sands covered Their holy places, and outsiders desecrated tombs and pilfered trinkets from the long-forgotten past. But after many, many years had elapsed, new people came to Kemet, and some of them were interested in preserving the past. They put the past on display for all to see as a novelty.

And the gods saw Their opportunity. They were tired of the new upstart gods taking all of Their worship. So They began to create new children, in a new era.

At first, there weren’t very many of Their children who would actually recognize that there was something different about themselves. Many would not acknowledge that they were uncomfortable with the modern gods, or else they would heed the inner disquiet, but only in so far as renouncing the modern gods and not looking for their own true connection to The Divine.

But this era was the perfect time for an Awakening. They created their children quietly, selectively, and eventually, as Djehuty the Clever Scholar said it would, some of the children born in this liberated era finally DID heed the cry of their ib and recognized where their Truth rested: in Netjer.

The gods rejoiced as first one, then a hundred, then a thousand or more of Their children began calling on Them, honoring Them, worshipping Them, and keeping Them company after so many years of silence.

Their children worshipped Them differently than they had in the past. But that was only to be expected. They didn’t mind. In fact, They found it refreshing and invigorating. Even the surly and tempestuous Set admitted that He was pleased, overall, except for mildly amused annoyance at the number of what His true children would call “wannabes” and “groupies” He had somehow acquired because of His “cool badassness.” (He took great pleasure in redirecting them on their path.)

The gods were pleased with Their new children, but They soon came to realize that even in this new era, Their children were still forming rival cults. They were relieved, however, when They realized there seemed to be enough space in the new world for each of the cults to have unlimited space in which to live in their own way without undermining anyone else’s practices.

The Servants of Apep Threaten The World

Netjer in all Its forms is fed on adoration and worship and remembrance. And all of the gods of Kemet had been weakened from millennia of starvation. Nowhere was this weakening more apparent than in Ma’at Herself. She was weak. And ma’at in the world was diminishing because of it. To add insult to injury, the feather that had graced Her headband had been stolen by the servants of Apep.

Apep had been busy while the gods had turned Their backs on mankind. He didn’t care if he wasn’t believed in by the world of men. He wanted to unmake the world, and so their disbelief was very useful to him. He had sent out his foul servants in human guise to set in motion diabolical events that would destroy mankind and the gods he so despised. And the most terrible part of his plan was that it would be mankind--the loathsome creatures created by the very breath, tears, spittle and seed of accursed gods of the world Themselves--who would bring about the unmaking of the world by their very own hands.

Over centuries, Apep’s servants manipulated and influenced the leaders of the world. With their forked tongues, they spat their isfet-laden venom on the ib of every man, woman, and child they spoke to, and infected them with distrust, greed, hate, and fear, so that they would spread the noxious poison to everyone they encountered.

Ma’at, already starving from lack of veneration, was weakened further still as isfet spread throughout the world. She was fading.

Heru-sa-aset, as king of the gods, saw Ma’at ailing and called for a meeting with the rest of the gods, that They might find a way to help Her, and in so doing, help Themselves and all of mankind before it was too late.

When the gods saw Ma’at becoming more and more abstract by the hour, They were enraged. How could mankind be doing this to Her, to Them, and to themselves?

Ra was so angry when He saw Ma’at languishing that He unleashed His Eye once again, as He had done so long ago, upon the land to scorch the people for their stupidity.

Set was so angry, He sent fierce, frightening storms to ravage the world.

Hapi was so angry, He sent floodwaters to destroy any areas within His vast reach.

Sobek was so angry, He set his children loose to feast on the corruption and greed.

Geb was so angry, He shook with rage and made His displeasure be known in many countries.

But still it did not wake the people up to their mistakes.

None of these catastrophes was great enough to force mankind to forget their differences and work together and turn the tide against Apep and isfet and restore Ma’at’s health.

The people were too intent on warring amongst themselves. And in this new era, they had weapons of terrible power that could destroy all of the world.

Nebt-het alone saw through what was happening, and understood that rage from the gods and rage from mankind would solve nothing. She could see that peace was what was needed.

But how to achieve it?

Her husband Set realized deep down the truth of Her words, but He distrusted that mankind would ever be intelligent enough to cease fighting of their own accord. However, perhaps there was another way. He proposed a plan to the council of the gods and eventually it was agreed that this plan should be implemented.

So Set went to the underworld with Ra and Djehuty at His side and faced Apep once more. Apep gloated when he saw the gods in his lair, but his gloating was short-lived, for Great of Strength slew him with His spear. Djehuty cut out both of the loathsome serpent’s eyes and held them before Ra the sun god, Who gazed on them and set them ablaze while Djehuty worked powerful heka. Then Set, Who had the strongest arm, threw the two fiery comets into the sky from where He stood, beneath Geb’s khat. They erupted in twin volcanoes and whipped beyond the stars to grow and become even more menacing as comets that would eventually yearn to return from whence they had come and force mankind to work together to save their world from obliteration.

The gods’ plan was this: if nothing in the world would dissuade mankind from fighting, then the answer lay in something NOT of the world. They had seen how mankind had developed astounding new innovations, as well as their fearsome, world-annihilating weapons. Mankind just needed to relearn how to work together against isfet and against Apep. But they didn’t know that Apep even existed anymore. (Though some still knew the serpent as “Apophis” in Greek mythology.) So what better way to make them see than to make it visible to them? If their “technology” and lack of cooperation could get them into such a distressing state, then their technology and the dire need to work together would surely get them out. It was a last-ditch effort. It would have to work. Because if the plan didn’t work, or if the gods had implemented no plan at all, the result would be the same. There was nothing to lose. (Quite literally.)
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Nothing to add, except how lovely! Your mind wanders well!
    Sobeqsenu
    Wepwawet & Sekhmet-Mut
    { Bast & Nut & Khonsu }

Comment

Ahautenites, wow! Those are awesome.

I don't have any personal stories like this to add, but I do know of some people online that write Kemetic "fanfiction" -- it's more like giving dialog and stories lines to Kemetic gods and myths.

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Those are awesome! :D

Sat Set her Djehuty, Meryt Ra her Heru-wer

My Poetry My LJ My deviantART

Comment

Wow. Powerful words, Ahautenites. I like the way your mind wanders.

I came across one of those Kemetic fanfiction sites. I also found a wonderful version of the Destruction of Mankind myth too. I have no idea where they are now as I lost half my bookmarks in my XP upgrade/second harddrive installation. And yes, Bast has prodded me about Kemetic fanfiction, but I've avoided writing it. Felt kinda weird. Writing about people is one thing, writing about the Gods is something else entirely.

Argent

Comment

Originally posted by argento_occhi
            I came across one of those Kemetic fanfiction sites. I also found a wonderful version of the Destruction of Mankind myth too. I have no idea where they are now as I lost half my bookmarks in my XP upgrade/second harddrive installation. And yes, Bast has prodded me about Kemetic fanfiction, but I've avoided writing it. Felt kinda weird. Writing about people is one thing, writing about the Gods is something else entirely.
            Argent
            What site did you see the Kemetic fanfics? Just curious

Also on fanfiction.net in the Books>Greek Mythology area there are tons of fanfics about the gods (Greek ones that is)
            And on fictionpress.com in the Mythology area there are many about the gods or all myths, some Kemetic ones are on there.

I don't see a problem writing about them. After all someone had to do the same thing long ago. Scribes. Bards. Writers. ::shrug::

Comment

The Sekhmet one was at some sci-fi fantasy site the name of which eludes me. The other ones was a personal site for someone who'd written all these fics. There was a touching one about Sebek and Him getting a clay heart instead of a gold one (I wanted to cry! Poor Daddy!), as well as a pile of other ones, some about Yinepu and such. They were quite good actually. I think he had this main novel type thing and all these short fics as well. I should go and find them again. I really liked them.

Argent

Edit: Here's the Sekhmet one: http://www.scribaltales.com/dec03_hangover.html Just looking for the other site now.

Edit 2: Sobek and Hathor *pets Daddy* is here: http://www.geocities.com/tehuti_88/sobekandhathor.html. The rest of the stories are here: http://www.geocities.com/tehuti_88/kemettales.html
              Last edited by argento_occhi; August 9th, 2006, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Those tales are great, thanks for sharing them .

Even though i'm not Kemetic yet, i really liked those tales, even though it was your own mind wandering, i wonder, if you got a little divine help from the Kemetic gods, as i was reading this book about Greek mythology, where storywriters, bards, poets, etc were given a glimpse of events between the gods, etc and then wrote it down (i think Andrew Chumbley, a British occultist, called it a 'lightning bolt at midnight').

BTW, argento_occhi, you mentioned you read a fanfiction about the 'destruction of mankind', Kemetic style, and i was just wondering, do you know where you can find it, as i'm interested in learning about apocalyptic scenario's, especially something Kemetic (i have a very wierd fascination with apocalypse's, such as the Christian/Islamic one, Jewish, Kemetic, Ragnarok, other 'pagan' ones, etc ).

Comment

It's this one here: http://www.scribaltales.com/dec03_hangover.html

Not really about the Destruction itself, but the aftermath when Sekhmet wakes up after drinking all that beer. OK, so it does tell the story, but from the point of view of the aftermath, instead of telling it as it happened. It's a very good retelling, actually, with an interesting ending.

I only found it because I was googling for images of Sekhmet. Anyway, read and enjoy.

Argent

Comment

That Tehuti 88 is the one I was thinking of, his fics are on fictionpress.com and writing.com. I didn't know he had his own site, but yeah, that's who I was refering to.
                    I've read many of those fics on the other sites.
                    Last edited by Agaliha; August 10th, 2006, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Ah, ok cool. I didn't realise he was posting his work elsewhere til I went to find his site yesterday and came across him on writing.com. But yes.

Argent

Comment

Bumping this so I can find it easier later. (I had to go through 8 pages of my own thread creations to find this one.)

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

oh I hope your planning on adding more writing here? That was awesome! I need to go check out some of these God/Goddess's names you mentioned. All I remember really reading about were the Greek/Roman ones.....
                          [SIGPIC] Kim

Comment

Yeppers. That was why I bumped it. I was remembering it a while back, but MW was out of commission. Now that it's back, I can see what I had written and what I had been thinking about for other tales. Once I'm finally settled in the new place and have time to rest, relax, recharge and reconnect with my spiritual side, I can see where things take me, as far as this thread goes.

Comment

I like them very much. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with!
                              Sat Bast, meryt Serqet-Aset her Yenipu-Wepwawet her HetHert-Sekhmet
                              "While I dance I cannot judge,
                              I cannot hate,
                              I cannot seperate myself from life.
                              I can only be joyful and whole.
                              That is why I dance."
                              --Hans Bos

Comment

Working...
                              X