Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHOA! Myst, I love you! Thanks for sending me here, and Mel, thanks to you for all those links!

*bounces up and down*

Now I have something to do at work. :D
    May Aset protect you and Ma'at guide you
    Ankh-esen-Aset
    Thoughts and Musings
    Diane: No one believes we can do this...
    Lloyd: You just described every great success story!<br> ~Say Anything

Comment

:D

Comment

Glad to be of service.
        "Hit the deck! Shuffle the deck! Shuffle off to Buffalo!" ~ Gogo Dodo

Comment

KOL

Em Hotep!

Please don't feel intimidated by KOL! We love having new people come in, asking stuff...makes us think (ouch!)

There are many people from different levels of knowledge..and we just love discussion. So just jump into the foray.

m ma'at
          jade
          -----------------------
          Heri Tep Per Ankh
          Hem Netjer Sekhmet

Per Ankh http://www.per-ankh.org
          KemetOnline http://www.kemetonline.com

Comment

**grins** I just need to study a bit more so I can think up more intelligent questions.

Here's another useful link: http://www.kemet.org/terms_list.html

**grins** I'm not Orthodox but I love the way she thinks. (Plus, I get all of my best signature quotes from her daily devotions page.)
            Last edited by Melysande; August 16th, 2002, 08:46 PM.

Comment

bumping and sticking this since it's got SO many useful links and the subject is such a popular field of inquiry.

Thanks, Melysande.
              I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.
              When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be afraid of the dark.

"There's always a lot of magic, but our way of seeing is very small and we mostly just call it Nature. Why, we are not at all surprised that we can pick an apple in the autumn that was a pink flower in the spring. That's natural magic and we don't really notice it."
              ~ Pidge
              The Hounds of the Morrigan

Comment

**takes a bow**

Eventually, I need to revisit most of those links myself. I haven't visited most of them in a long while. Been too busy with the moving to CO and adjusting to life here and getting a new job, etc. Not to mention, I still seem to be in sponge mode. There's this one history book I want to finish before I'll feel like I've absorbed enough information to hold an intelligent conversation about Egyptian stuff.

Comment

Not only great help for rituals/etc.. but also for the ancient Egyptian vampire I'm going to be playing in a LARP in June!! :D

Thanks for the hard work!!
                  -Lacykitten
                  "I don't bite... well, actually I do."
                  "Meow is like Aloha - it can mean anything."

Comment

Now there's an application I wouldn't have thought of for it. **is amused** I changed back to my Melysande name over the weekend so I could update the first post in the thread. All of the dead links are gone. The rest are all still good. As I get more, I'll keep adding to that post.
                    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

Anubis

I'll have to take the time to go through the links.

Thanks for such an extensive library!

Is there one you can recommend for information on Anubis?

As I said earlier lately I have been feeling "called" by Anubis. I went to the Museum recently and meditated on some of his statues...and felt a strong pull.

He has appeared to me in dreams.....and has communicated to me through the tarot. I have seen nothing but black dogs as of late....and everytime I open a book on Gods I open directly to the chapter that describes him.

I wish to honor him in ritual, and to make stronger connections. To find out what message he has for me, or if there is a message/lesson at all.

I am a firm believer in keeping ritual culture-specific when dealing with deity. For example, when I worship Aphrodite, I do so using Homeric hymns, and traditional libations.

I am a bit lost, as I have never studied ancient Egypt, or felt particularily drawn to the culture. It is only Anubis who calls to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may proceed?

Dogstar
                      "Hail, goddess, queen of well-builded Cyprus! With you have I begun; now I will turn me to another hymn. "

Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Cleave to those who seek the truth but run from those who say they've found it

Comment

Google's your friend, sweets.

Look up info on Anubis, but also look up the names Anpu. Inepu, and Yinepu. He has quite a sense of humor, too, from what I've heard from His Children. You're going exactly as you should. No worries. The Netjeru consider it very flattering when we wish to get to know Them better. And if They want to point you in a specific direction, They will, and there will be very little room for doubt about what They want. **chuckles** I envy people who get to speak with and hear their deities speaking to them. The closest I can come is feeling the sentiments, not hearing the words, and then only with Setekh, since He chose me (and came to me in dreams to tell me as much... by his presence and emotions, not words). Seshat introduced me to the Kemetic mindset, but She's my Beloved and has never spoken to me outside of tarot cards or visited me in dreams.

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

Ah yes, Google. *laughs* Best friends actually.

I do believe I'm going about it the right way so far - I actually bought a statue yesterday (i saw it by chance, and had to have it, and thankfully it fit my budget).

Had a really long and involved dream the other night involving Anubis. http://www.livejournal.com/users/ladydogstar/ if you are curious (it's in my journal) if you have any insights i'd be honored to hear them.

I just find it odd, as I've never been drawn to Egyptian ritual, or ancient Egypt, except with the same fascination the world over has with the pyramids. But now, Egypt and Anubis are in my dreams, my thoughts, and the books I see at Chapters. *grins*

I think the deities that try and get my attention have to be loud - sometimes I just don't pick it up if it's subtle. *laughs*

I am going to read more about Ancient Egypt, and Kemeticism (is that the right way to say it?) in the next little while.
                          "Hail, goddess, queen of well-builded Cyprus! With you have I begun; now I will turn me to another hymn. "

Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Cleave to those who seek the truth but run from those who say they've found it

Comment

**grins** Welcome to the "Not being drawn to it, but still being Chosen" club. Don't know why They do that.

Did I not tell you that He has a peculiar sense of humor? **chuckles** Modernity "killed" Him. You revived Him. You've been Picked and He's making really sure you understand that. Life with Egyptian gods is not always easy. They are patient, usually, but They're quite demanding, which can lead to the "cursed" feeling of your previously hunky-dorie life. However, like He said, you've also been Blessed by being Chosen, and when the rewards come, they come in grand style. (Even if your life may be turned upside down for what seems like an eternity to get there.)

Comment

Lol, I laugh because I can relate. Netjer can be very blunt and persistent. If I remember correctly NeferSesemet (or it could have been Rain Gnosis when she was Rainx) when first talking to me used the term ‘harassed’ which, for my experience was accurate. Anubis and Horus absolutely would not leave me alone. I have learned a great deal in the pat few months and now that I have the harassment has turned into comfort and guidance. To bad it took me like 7 years to fully listen. I have always had Anubis in my life and only recently, the last 2 years, has Horus taken center stage. So far for me Anubis likes statues and shows up in my drawing and wants a little more as far as ritual goes, where as Horus is very into how I live. He wants me to live right more than paying attention to him. He often has taken to high jacking my inner voice and dreams to teach a lesson. Good luck in your searching, enjoy
                              I am the possessor of the knowledge of the words of magical power, I am the Avenger according to law, I have avenged the injury to his Eye. I have defended Osiris. I have accomplished my journey. The Osiris Ani advanceth with you with the word which is truth.

Comment

As to being demanding - I know many Pagans who feel any patron may be. A patron who chooses you may require studies or actions, a lot of work, and isn't always about helping you out as much as helping him/her out :D
                                My Online Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X