X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helmsinepu
    replied
    Neenee and Em Hotep!

I put "Kemetic Orthodoxy" because I'm a Remetj in that organization. I love the community over there, and wave to some of my friends here. I do the Senut rite, stock, every day.

however.

I also do some Kemetic practices outside House of Netjer. I formally revert offerings after ending my rites. I do occasional rites from or derived from Reidy's Eternal Egypt. I do the occasional Heka project. If I did take a Shemsu oath, I don't think any of that would have to change. But there is a big independent chunk of my practice.

I'm also affiliated with Neos Alexandria, and I'm working on some fiction for them.

I'm also talking with a very small group of people about starting a temple/ritual group/whatever. If more than three people can agree on what it should be, maybe it will go somewhere. I am also talking with someone else about how she started up an in-person temple in her area.

See? It's like looking for a Christian church. Either the music is total hideous crap, the minister is boring, the philosophy is totally abhorrent, it's on the wrong side of the street, etc, etc. If you really want to go somewhere, you pick what fits the closest, but nothing in this world is going to be perfect! "I can put up with the abhorrent philosophy, especially if this place has reclining seats and cupholders."

Leave a comment:

• acidrica
    replied
    I voted Kemetic Orthodox. Yinepu is my parent, and Set, Sokar, and Sobek are my beloveds.

As far as the concern regarding the RPD goes...if someone doesn't accept their results, then I wouldn't think any less of them, and I can't think of anyone in the House that would. I can only speak for myself though. I just know that I was impressed with my results, hence my Shemsu-ness. :D

Leave a comment:

• 7 of Swords
    replied
    Well I suppose I'm more curious then anything, would be interesting to see how others do things, and more or less just interact with fellow kemetics. There is only so much to learn from books. It is nice though to have forums like this at least. And I do understand what you say about most people being uppity, or pushy. Just talking with folks on other sites I get that. I don't mind being on my own in how I worship, just would be nice to have a bit more interaction with others on occasion.

I was referring more to kemetic practices in general, but also don't get me wrong about HON and the orthodoxy I really have had zero personal knowledge of any of their members, just from what I've read on their site and elsewhere, doesn't seem the way to go for me. They all seem to be very knowledgeable and encourage sharing and understanding with the kemetic community as a whole so I do respect them for that for sure. I was just saying I look forward to talking with everyone here about the netjeru and our individual experiences.

(P.S. I liked your color coded response, took me a second to figure out what you were doing! Ha!)

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix_Falls
    replied
    Originally posted by 7 of Swords View Post
    Hello all, there seems to be some lively discussion going on in this topic, but allow me to quickly introduce myself. My name is Joshua and I'm new to this forum. I figured this topic was a good place to start.
    Em hotep, em heset net Netjer! Welcome to MW =D always nice to see Kemetic people floating around!
    Originally posted by 7 of Swords;4224609
    I voted myself as solitary Kemetic Reconstructionist. [B
    I think I would enjoy worshiping as part of a larger community but there is not any real oppurtunity [/B]for that around me and those that are close are mostly House of Netjer orthodox and I just can't get behind that personally. I have nothing against them just not for me. I look forward to discussion on the subject however and learning more here.
    What do you want to gain out of it? Personally, I've been on my own for quite a while. I fished around for a while with, looking for other people to connect too but honestly, 98% of people I came across were uppity to the max, 1% decided that if you didn't do things their way, you're dong it wrong and 1% were nice, but not for me. There's nothing' wrong with doing things on your own, but that doesn't mean you can't talk to other Kemetic people. =D
    What subject? Kemetic Orthodoxy? In my opinion, I like em. They don't say they're recon and they don't try to be recon. They're basically a bunch of people who believe what they want to believe and share information with each other without ragging on each other for the way they believe things. They don't tell people to believe things one way or another and everyone I've spoken to that belong to HoN have a really awesome habit of actually listening to how you personally do things without being snarky. Even if they don't believe what you do, they agree to disagree with you without bing self-righteous or expecting everyone in their group to feel certain ways about/treat the Rev. Tamara a certain way. They don't care about proselytizing which I respect as a quality for anyone. *shrugs* I like that.

Leave a comment:

• 7 of Swords
    replied
    Hello all, there seems to be some lively discussion going on in this topic, but allow me to quickly introduce myself. My name is Joshua and I'm new to this forum. I figured this topic was a good place to start.

I voted myself as solitary Kemetic Reconstructionist. I think I would enjoy worshiping as part of a larger community but there is not any real oppurtunity for that around me and those that are close are mostly House of Netjer orthodox and I just can't get behind that personally. I have nothing against them just not for me. I look forward to discussion on the subject however and learning more here.

Leave a comment:

• Sekhmet Soul30
    replied
    Okay, PM me.

Leave a comment:

• Setkheni-itw
    replied
    I don't want to drag this off-topic anymore, so I'm going to PM a response to you.

Leave a comment:

• Sekhmet Soul30
    replied
    HAY GUYS I JUST SAW TAMARA L. SIUDA ON THAT PROGRAM 'THE EGYPTIAN BOOK OF THE DEAD.' WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY COOL! :boing::smileroll:mmm:

Leave a comment:

• Sekhmet Soul30
    replied
    No, leading a dig is for someone that has many years experience. I mean, that you've proven you won't break something and that your good at what you do. Like everything in the world you have to go up the ladder. I looked it up and Egyptology is a MA but it's also a PH'D as well. I know that it's also a PH'd because our favorite Archeology has the title of Dr. A vast majority of people that specialize in Egyptology are Archeologist. Also when I found out that she went to the University of Chicago, a city that I was born in, I thought that it must have a impressive program for her to go there. However the only thing they have that's connected to Archeology is Anthropology.

I don't want to go into Anthropology, I want Archeology. Also they don't have an Egyptology program which sucks. I've decided to go with Boston instead.

I know that the locals do the hard labor but it's the Archeologists that actually go inside once the area has been aired out. I'm going to agree that we really need to move this somewhere else.
    Last edited by Sekhmet Soul30; September 9th, 2010, 10:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Setkheni-itw
    replied
    Originally posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    Cataloging artifacts are for low level Archeologists and once you've proven that your good you will be chosen to go out and dig so be prepared.
    Chosen to go out and dig like how? Like leading a dig? Because most people out digging are shovel bums or, to be more PC, archaeological technicians, which in Egypt if I recall right are usually locals who have been trained to do so and not foreigners with Master's degrees.

In Hemet's (AUS) case, like I said, She studies language, that's Her specialty. She can read and write I think three (?) relevant languages including Coptic, and so going out and leading digs just isn't where She would be useful as an Egyptologist. It has nothing to do with being "low level" (to be honest I don't know where you're getting this from) and has everything to do with different jobs for different specialties.

...I actually, though, agree that this thread has been jacked and maybe this discussion would be more useful elsewhere.

Did I even answer the question here? I did in fact answer the poll, but... obviously, I am Kemetic Orthodox with preferred worship of my Parents and Beloveds. I don't feel as though I need to stay exclusive with them, though. Working Djehuty into there because I'm going back to school and for me school just screams "Djehuty!" Right now I have some attachments with Eros, Artemis, and a few others too.

--Set
    Last edited by Setkheni-itw; September 9th, 2010, 10:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sekhmet Soul30
    replied
    I chose Kemetic recon as well. Love working with the gods on my own and not being part of a temple. Don't get me wrong, I like structure, but I like exploring the gods on my own and worshiping them. I also like my Native American heritage, I'm part Cherokee.

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix_Falls
    replied
    Totally back on topic (maybe we should start another thread? lol though no one has complained about the massive threadjack in progress yet):

I picked Kemetic recon solitary as I am currently non-temple affiliated. I probably should have picked "Kemetic Other" though since I still practice a lot of Blackfoot spirituality and I've been known to occasionally honor Kemetic deities in Blackfoot ways (no complaints thus far!)

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix_Falls
    replied
    Originally posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    Setkheni-itw, I understand where your coming from and I agree with some of the things that your saying. Of course digs aren't glamorous either, especially for a woman. It's hot and time consuming work. However most of your Archeologists prefer to be out there digging, though I don't understand why mummies having gold is so important (all mummies are important) and I'm not about to tell them otherwise.

Cataloging artifacts are for low level Archeologists and once you've proven that your good you will be chosen to go out and dig so be prepared. This message is for the young lady that wants to work at the Smithsonian. Sorry if I didn't get your username. I'm looking around at different collages and I'm surprised that the University of Chicago (I was born there and my dad's body is there) doesn't have Archeology. They only have Anthropology and a couple of other majors, though they have a very good full program in Ancient Studies like Roman, Greek, African, and so forth.

I'm really excited about the chance to go and learn and become a Egyptologist.
    I think that's a matter of opinion. Cataloguing and research is just as important as the actual dig. Without artifacts being in context, they cease to be objects of meaning and are just "some stuff that someone dug out of a hole in the ground." I know a few very capable field archeologists who have chosen to dedicate their time and expertise to cataloguing and research which is what got me interested in it in the first place. I used to think that field archeology was where it was at, but all steps in the process are needed and valued. They don't let "low level archeologists" into the locked basements unaccompanied and with free reign, which is what I'm aiming for. I will of course, have to go on digs and I'm looking forward to it, but it's not my main focus and I don't think that'll regulate me to a "low level" of archeology. I personally don't think any level of archeology can be classed as "low" to be honest. The people doing the cataloguing and the research have to have the same kind of qualifications as the people in the field, sometimes more so if they're studying a particular part of a particular culture. We can't all be Indiana Jones

Leave a comment:

• Erebos
    replied
    I voted Other Kemetic.

I'm Greco-Egyptian.

Leave a comment:

• Sekhmet Soul30
    replied
    Setkheni-itw, I understand where your coming from and I agree with some of the things that your saying. Of course digs aren't glamorous either, especially for a woman. It's hot and time consuming work. However most of your Archeologists prefer to be out there digging, though I don't understand why mummies having gold is so important (all mummies are important) and I'm not about to tell them otherwise.

Cataloging artifacts are for low level Archeologists and once you've proven that your good you will be chosen to go out and dig so be prepared. This message is for the young lady that wants to work at the Smithsonian. Sorry if I didn't get your username. I'm looking around at different collages and I'm surprised that the University of Chicago (I was born there and my dad's body is there) doesn't have Archeology. They only have Anthropology and a couple of other majors, though they have a very good full program in Ancient Studies like Roman, Greek, African, and so forth.

I'm really excited about the chance to go and learn and become a Egyptologist.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X