Has anyone read Following The Sun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone read Following The Sun?

I got this book from Lulu, which is really great because they give the money that they make off the book to the author . Well anyway it's called 'Following the Sun: A Practical Guide to Egyptian Religion by Sharon LeBorde'. When I picked this book I had people tell me that she's anti-KO but really the book is great if you don't know anything about the Egyptian Gods, want a simple shrine set up, and what's the coolest of all is that she actually shows you how to make your own Egyptian clothing including what women back then wore.

She states that people back in Egypt weren't all upset about seeing a boob (boob is my word, not hers), which meant that their idea of modesty was very different than modern views. She includes photo's of temples, talks about the Nile, and about the empires that conquered Egypt. Well I'm going to stop there and let me know if any of you have read it. And please, be nice. On another note I think that people should order their books through Lulu, it's a great way to support authors.

PS! Got Bastet, Heru, and Anubis (can't remember his Kemetic name) today.

I actually know (online only) the author of that book. While she herself is known as being anti-KO, I have no idea whether the book even goes into that. I was really interested to know how the book is, and whether it's more of a 101 book, or something that goes more indepth- for those who already have a steady personal practice going.

I would definitely be more interested in hearing more about the book, though!

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ

Comment

In the area of being anti-KO she only talks in small detail, and I mean a few lines, about some Kemetic's not agreeing with putting someone basically in a position of power because they tend to abuse it. I think that she was more talking about her own personal experience within a cult that she had once been part of. She talks about that and about how hard it was to break away. So what I'm getting is that she's only anti-KO because she had a very bad experience with a cult and doesn't want others hurt.

That bit you can get on-line and it's written by someone else. However she doesn't make it the focus of the entire book. She talks mainly in the front of the book about the history of the Egyptian people, their rulers, and about the Greek and Roman invasion (and the other invasion in-between). Like I said she talks about the Nile and tells where the flooding starts, which explains about where the Egyptians got their silt from, and naturally where it ended. She says that the Egyptians didn't know where the real source of the flooding took place and believed that it came from a cavern, called the Cavern of Hapy, that opened from the Underworld and was controlled by the ram-headed creator god Khnum.

They state that modern explorers didn't successfully trace the Nile's flooding until the 1800's. I think that we must understand that a book is shaped on a authors personal experiences and not judge them. Not a lot of people can get out of a cult.

Comment

Wow, sounds like a really interesting book! I'm going to get a copy. I'd never heard of it before.
        Not that I need any more books.. four huge bookcases and counting.. my boyfriend is convinced that I love my books more than I love him :smileroll
        sigpic

Comment

Hay, we can't help it that we love books. Of course I would of checked this book out from the Library if they weren't so culturally depriving the public. What really makes me spitting mad is the fact that we have a major University called the University of Mass at Amherst and they have a Archeology department. You would think they would have books on the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, and such.

No, they don't. They have nothing, ditto, empty air. So much for being a University town.

Comment

That's quite bad. My library doesn't carry anything spiritual that isn't based on a holy book. If I do find any other books on Bast and other feline deities, I'll be sure to let you know.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for feeling bad for me. Another point that I would like to make is that she sites her sources and she doesn't claim that she knows everything about Egypt. Of course what helps is that she teaches Egyptian and hieroglyphics to children. Of course in that area of Egyptian writing its more like kids stuff as I don't think that any of them are quite in collage yet.

I had a teacher like that when I was a little girl. She really helped me understand things about the Egyptians. Sadly she died years ago but I will always thank her for what she did for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
                In the area of being anti-KO she only talks in small detail, and I mean a few lines, about some Kemetic's not agreeing with putting someone basically in a position of power because they tend to abuse it. I think that she was more talking about her own personal experience within a cult that she had once been part of. She talks about that and about how hard it was to break away. So what I'm getting is that she's only anti-KO because she had a very bad experience with a cult and doesn't want others hurt.

That bit you can get on-line and it's written by someone else. However she doesn't make it the focus of the entire book. She talks mainly in the front of the book about the history of the Egyptian people, their rulers, and about the Greek and Roman invasion (and the other invasion in-between). Like I said she talks about the Nile and tells where the flooding starts, which explains about where the Egyptians got their silt from, and naturally where it ended. She says that the Egyptians didn't know where the real source of the flooding took place and believed that it came from a cavern, called the Cavern of Hapy, that opened from the Underworld and was controlled by the ram-headed creator god Khnum.

They state that modern explorers didn't successfully trace the Nile's flooding until the 1800's. I think that we must understand that a book is shaped on a authors personal experiences and not judge them. Not a lot of people can get out of a cult.
                It is my understanding that she also had a bad experience with KO. There is talk about it in the depths of the Kemetic SIG on TC. Either way, I don't judge her, or anyone else for it. The world kemetics is a small one, and there is very little that any of us/them agree on XD So it's all good.

So far, the things you've mentioned sounds very 101 to me. That's my biggest concern- I don't have the money to waste on a book that is really for beginners. Hence my line of questioning. *sigh* I wish I could read in online, or flip through it in a store, to see if it's something I'd be willing to part with money for.

-Devo
                dA | FB | LJ

Comment

Yeah, I wish that Barnes and Nobel had it then I wouldn't have to pay for shipping but right now it's only on Lulu and Amazon. On another note it might be years before we see a advance book on the Kemetic faith. We're all young people in this faith and it will be some time before we're old people in this faith.

Comment

In general, I think it's hard to find more advanced books in any particular religion. When I was studying Wicca, I felt that I had the same problem- there wasn't anything more to read that went more indepth. In some ways, I feel this way about Kemeticism. I've read a decent amount, and I have a practice up and running, but I'm not sure what (if anything is even needed) I could do to take it to the next level.

-Devo
                    dA | FB | LJ

Comment

I love Sharon LeBorde's book, and its sequel, too. I've also watched nearly all of her videos on You Tube (Kemetic Independent). She's wonderful! I would highly recommend people pick up her books and watch her channel.
                      ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

Working...
                      X