Kemetic Orthodoxy / House of Netjer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kemetic Orthodoxy / House of Netjer

This is just a general discussion thread for those of us who are invovled with KO/HoN and for those curious about it. I'm starting this thing for the sake of the dedicated crowd of us that have come out of the woodworks on a certain couple of other threads, so that we can have our own little KO-specific domain to keep stocked with our favorite cakes and cookies. And beer. And pudding.

So there you have it. Commence the dancing and pie-eating contests.
    Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet mery Khepera her Bast
    (The Rule) (Copyright Policy) (Candle Altar)

I'm a beginner and so far I have no problems at all with the beliefs, or the teachings. I like that it's organized. I think structure can be a good thing. I like the fact that HoN has a Nisut.

Comment

Now see, that very organisation was something that nearly turned me right off. I've always been uncomfortable with so-called "organised religion" and was uncertain how I felt about the Nisut. Luckily, I came to see the role the orgnisation plays in the House, and the special role of the Nisut as our living example (a job I certainly wouldn't want) rather than the typical "cult leader" out to live off of the naive public. It occured to me that this sort of organisation was something I'd actually been missing without realizing it. The House has a way of making one do a lot of thinking and introspection, it seems.

Comment

Ooooh, a KO thread - yay!! :clapping:

Erincelt, I know what you mean about very nearly being put off the whole 'organised religion' thing, I am still in the process of 'getting over' the whole idea of the organisation, clergy, the role of the Nisut (AUS) etc. I have spent so many years of my life on a solitary path, it is definitely a change of scenery for me, and one which (so far!) I am enjoying very much.

One thing I am curious about (and haven't dared ask on the HoN boards!!) is what is the story behind the 'rivalry' (for want of a better term) between the HoN and Per-Ankh - I have seen threads on other boards (Beliefnet, for one) and there always seems to be a certain level of.... animosity.. between them - did something happen to cause this? How does Per-Ankh differ in it's beliefs and teachings from the HoN? Is it just that they don't have a Nisut? Are they ex-House members with a grudge?

Comment

**looks around the thread admiringly** Nice decor. **grabs a strawberry daiquiri malt beverage (because I finally chose a flavor and I hate regular beer and ale)** I agree about liking, yet being wary of, the organized part of the religion. It scared me away for a year or so before I finally decided to take the class again this time around. I'd been observing Hemet for a year before taking the class the first time, and then I observed her for a year after I took the class the first time. I'm just so leary of entrusting my spiritual tutelage to someone else. I feel really glad that they have the new Ask The Nisut (AUS) forum. I don't feel right about posting there, though. I think anything I want to know would be better going through the hierarchy first, and then if they said it was okay, *then* I would pose my question to Her in that forum.

**reads the post about the rivalry and smiles gently** It's a very touchy matter that both sides would like to leave in the past, though I know there are *some* references to it in some older HoN threads. You may also find some mentions of it in the archived threads on Beliefnet's Kemetic forum, too. We have MW members who are affiliated with HoN and members who are affiliated with Per Ankh, so just be sure to tread carefully so as not to insult anyone on either side of the issue. Both approaches to Kemetic practice are valid for their practitioners and are worthy of respect.

From what I gather, Per Ankh's chief priest was a student of Hemet and HoN several years ago. But the bottom line is that there was a difference of opinion between them and so that student left and founded Per Ankh on the belief that there doesn't need to be a Nisut in order for one to be Kemetic. That's the long and short of it, from what I've read. But as I said, both approaches are valid for their practitioners, and that shouldn't hinder any inter-faith dialogue that occurs here or elsewhere.
          ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

For me, it's not the 'organised religion' part that turns me away. it's more the fact that i prefer finding my own beliefs. Maybe some day in the future, i'll be ready for it, but at the moment, i much prefer making my own path to the Netjeru. i hang around there mainly as a meeting place, so i can tak and discuss stuff, though it took me absolutely ages to make up my mind to join. for me, i'll have to be completely ready before i do the beginners class. sounds weird i know, but i feel like i'm not at the right stage in my own development for that. One day in the future, perhaps...

Comment

To be honest, I wasn't sure I was ready for it, either. All I knew was I had this sudden compulsion to learn more about the Names, and no matter how hard I tried to ignore this feeling, it just kept coming back. I prayed to Yinepu for guidance, and all I got from Him was the distinct feeling that I should definitely do the course, that it was was the next step to take. Still I dithered and deliberated, and finally made up my mind to apply - just to discover I'd missed the cut-off date by a matter of days.... But throughout all of this, there is definitely a feeling of not exactly being sure *why* I'm doing this, I just know that right now in my life, I *have* to... if that makes sense....

Comment

i know what you mean. i get those sometimes. a feeling that i have to do something. I get that about a lot of the pictures i draw for Them. I dunno why i'm choosing to draw an offering scene with me in it, but there you go. Sometimes i just pick up the pack of clay i have and make something.

bright blessings
                argent

Comment

I honestly have no idea what to think about the House of Netjer. I've been to their site and read some; I've also been to other sites who aren't fans, just trying to get a rounded opinion. I admit the concept of the Nisut puts me off a lot. It seems cultish to me. But I can't really form an opinion out of experience, either, since I'm in bloody Canada and not anywhere near the HoN.

I also don't really get this whole concept of Netjer. Monolatry just really doesn't "do it" for me, and I've never really figured out where the idea started that it was in fact monolatry and not polytheism that the Egyptians were practicing. On the flip side of that coin, I lean to reconstructionist practices, and I like to know what things are proper to honouring specific deities. I don't really like to honour deities as "neo-pagan" and just do the same things but insert different names into scripts, or keep the same altars and just place a different statue or image.

All that being said, I really am fairly new to the concept of honouring Het-Heru/Sekhmet, and don't mind asking questions that might help me.
                  INFP

MtoM Tarot reader; Not available for tarot requests right now.
                  View my MtoM Reader Profile

Comment

I was wary of HoN for a year over the Nisut issue before I decided to join up. *wrinkles brows and thinks* I just feel as though I wasn't getting enough, sort of. I'm Kemetic but I was feeling like I wanted more than what my personal studies was giving me. My take on it is that the ancient Kemets had a Nisut. I wish to follow the path my culteral ancestors took and I like the organization and structure of HoN. It is cultish, but that doesn't have to a be a bad thing, in my opinion. As of yet no one has demanded that in order to join up I must do something that would harm others or myself. *wrinkles nose* Hope I made sense.
                    Last edited by Cyclona; July 26th, 2004, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I am in the current beginners class. I am keeping an open mind about it (as much as possible). I did not join the class with the intent of joining, but with the intent of coming to a greater understanding. I am very pleased to meet others and have the chance to discuss beliefs, practice and even the Nisut.

I have issues in general with strict recon religions and orthodox religions. I need to examine my feelings and see if they are well placed, or is I am using them as a screen to not deal with things that I need to deal with. I am not sure that it feels right to me to take a religion so completely out of context of time and place and say this is how it NEEDS to be done. Religion and relationships with the divine are so dynamic, so personal, so immersed in culture and the situational needs of a people. I am in the class because I want to know how Kemet deals with these aspects of their faith.

I am very cautious about signing on to anything. I move slowly, and thing alot. However, I am enjoying the process, and no matter the outcome, I am learning a lot and growing in spirituality.

Em hotep!

cheddarsox
                      In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

They definitely appreciate people coming to them with an open mind to learn about their practices. They won't hold it against you when you tell them near the end of class that you're choosing to go your own way. They'll even offer to give you guidance in finding any other groups, traditions, or practices you might wish to study.

There are a couple good threads on the forums that deal with sketicism. They go so far as to say that Netjer *wants* people to question things, rather than just following directions blindly.
                        ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

Another issue for me, for a short while, was this idea of "monolatry" a whole new term for me. I usually self-identify (if I must) as a panentheist (note the all-important "en" syllable, please) but it took me some while to make the connection between the two (although now it just seems so obvious). I definitely feel as though the House is not nearly as rigid as the word Orthodox makes most (including me) think... in fact, there was actually a thread started on where the "Orthodoxy" comes in with the House, and I find the answer quite satisfactory. (Check the "Ask the Nisut (AUS)" section.)

Every day I'm surprised more and more at my comfort level. I guess I finally found my home. But, as with anything else, some of us were meant to rest our hearts in front of some other hearth, and that's okie dokie with me. :D

Comment

I usually self-identify (if I must) as a panentheist (note the all-important "en" syllable, please)
                            Sorry to ask an off topic question, I'm reading all of this with interest, but what is a panentheist exactly? I've heard of pantheist but not with the 'en' in it.
                            sat Aset meryt Set, Wesir her Nefertem

Blinkie courtesy of the awesome Flaire!

Comment

Here are some descriptions. Remember venn diagrams from long-ago math classes? The ones with overlapping groups of color showing how sets overlap?

In classical theism, God is a blue circle, and the world is a red circle, and they don't overlap at all -- by a theological mystery God reaches out to touch the world, but God is still the Wholly Other.

In pantheism, on the other hand, there's one big purple circle.

In panentheism, there's a blue circle with a purple circle inside it -- everything in the world is in and of God, but God is even more than that.
                              INFP

MtoM Tarot reader; Not available for tarot requests right now.
                              View my MtoM Reader Profile

Comment

Working...
                              X