Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by instinct
    Em hotep

Imakhu NeferuHethert's website has a kemetic glossary that includes some pronunciations (as well as hieroglyphs etc.)
    Thanks! I checked out the link and seems quite helpful! I think I was thinking that there were many possible and accepted pronunciations of many of the words and didn't know if others had found this variance; so I was curious to see which ones others choose to use, ya know? Like I wonder if this link, for instance, has the generally acccepted pronunciations or if there is as much of a range as I was seeing in various places....like this one book I recently read, for beginners that pronounced Netjer Nee cher and Sekem See kum; which seemed wrong to me. Especially Sekem, as I use in in the mantra: Sa Sekem Sahu and the long "e" sound does not really work in my mind for the vibration of the mantra. So I was just curious about other words as well.
    DK

Dont' say things never change! Everything changes....some people just choose not to see the difference.

Comment

• **winces** "e" is somewhere between an "eh" sound and an "aaay" sound. "w" is either "wuh" or "oo", depending on usage. Use Spanish vowel pronunciation when in doubt.

English:
      Aaay
      Eee
      Eye
      Ohh
      Yooo

Spanish:
      Ah
      Eh / Aaay
      Eeee
      Oh
      Oo
      ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

• 42 Principles/Questions/Negative Confessions

Does anyone have a link to a good list of the 42 Negative Confessions/Principles of Ma'at? I have found afew, but can tell the translations are/have been slanted in a lot of ways(like in one, the first was: I have not SINNED, uhhhh, no.)....is there a good source for Kemetics that you all know about?

Senebty, DK

Dont' say things never change! Everything changes....some people just choose not to see the difference.

Comment

• If you want the KO perspective, look no further. Just click the links and read to your heart's content.

http://daily.kemet.org/archives/archive-052004.html (Scroll down until you hit May 12, and then start reading every entry above it, one by one).

http://daily.kemet.org/archives/archive-062004.html (Purification 13 starts at the bottom. Scroll down and read up. )

http://daily.kemet.org/archives/archive-072004.html (Purification 34 is near the bottom)
          ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

• Thanks! :clapping:

Comment

• For that matter, if you want a KO perspective (which, although my opinion is biased, I will say is a good one) you might consider this little beauty:

http://www.kemetschool.org/pubs/detail.php?id=7

Its $10, but its a hard-copy hold-in-your-hand book, rather than something you've had to print out and staple or bind. Been there, done that, I know how it is... Plus, rather than just translating them and leaving it at that, this includes some discussions and meditations. In the end... its well worth $10.

[Shameless plug, shameless plug!]
              Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet mery Khepera her Bast
              (The Rule) (Copyright Policy) (Candle Altar)

Comment

• Does anyone know when those books that the Nisut is writing will come out? I don't know if I'll be able to get parental permission any time soon, but I heard she's writing an intro to KO and then another one (or possibly the same one?) that has info on the various Netjer...that might be a feasible short term alternative to taking the class :D

argh I had something else to ask and totally forgot it.

edit: haha I remembered it! thanks for reminding me about the Daily Devotions and Wehem, Ses...and I meant to ask...I don't know if this will come off as me sounding lazy or not, but is it worth reading through all of those from the beginning? I'm contemplating it, but as there's like...5-6 years worth, I want to make sure it's good reading first
                Last edited by Khuinaset; December 16th, 2004, 09:08 PM.
                sat Aset meryt Set, Wesir her Nefertem

Blinkie courtesy of the awesome Flaire!

Comment

• Originally posted by Erincelt
                  its a hard-copy hold-in-your-hand book, rather than something you've had to print out and staple or bind. Been there, done that, I know how it is...
                  I'm gonna have to write the instructor of my beginners class from 2 years ago for an e-mail of the beginner class nine lessons. I left out the three ring binder I use as a reference/BOS if ya will. My daughter (14months) and one of my dogs had a great time with it. She would pull out the pages and tear them up and the dog spread them through the house and yard. Man I love those two little buggers.
                  I am the possessor of the knowledge of the words of magical power, I am the Avenger according to law, I have avenged the injury to his Eye. I have defended Osiris. I have accomplished my journey. The Osiris Ani advanceth with you with the word which is truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Khuinaset
                    edit: haha I remembered it! thanks for reminding me about the Daily Devotions and Wehem, Ses...and I meant to ask...I don't know if this will come off as me sounding lazy or not, but is it worth going through all the trouble of reading through all of those from the beginning? I'm contemplating it, but as there's like...5-6 years worth, I want to make sure it's good reading first
                    I think it’s good reading if you have the time.
                    I am the possessor of the knowledge of the words of magical power, I am the Avenger according to law, I have avenged the injury to his Eye. I have defended Osiris. I have accomplished my journey. The Osiris Ani advanceth with you with the word which is truth.

Comment

• Nekhbet and Tefnut connections

Em Hotep all!

Yes, I have another question, big shock! Ok, so, I went a local antique shop and found a this great little Egyptian Painting/drawing and I brought it home and kept putting off hanging it up, cause I didnt know exactly where to hang it, mostly cause i was focused on other things and hadn't researched who was pictured. I knew it was two goddesses, they are holding hands etc. So this morning I am sitting at my desk, doing my daily email read etc. when, the picture literally flies of the shelf and lands in my hands/lap. "Hmmm," I think, "maybe it is time I research this little picture?" LOL

So anyway, I do a google search for images and find that the lady on the left is Nekhbet and the lady on the right Tefnut. I look them up and find that Tefnut is very closely associated with my Matron (Sekhmet) and also with Wadjet, and with moisture/lack of moisture, etc; and I find that Nekhbet is often Vulture headed goddess associated with childbirth and protecting pharoah....both are associated with the Eye of Ra and Wadjet...but I am wondering if any of you know of any specific myths in which these two are connected? I am getting overloaded trying to find stuff on them together. Also, I am wondering if Tefnut and Wadjet are ever used in a somewhata interchangable manner as some see Sekhmet/Hathor?

Thanks! I feel like I am wading through too much info, and can use a little focus/narrowing!

Comment

• Em Hotep!
                        No info here about them Darakash,sorry!

I was wondering though if anyone has any info on which Netjer were real popular with the comman people....It seems most of the nejeru were mostly suited for the Nisut and the priestly class.
                        Senebty!
                        Kheti

Thanks to Sennefer and Dawns_Eve for the great Banners!
                        Thanks Dawns_Eve for the Rotations!

(o) (o)
                        {--}

Comment

• As far as I know, Bes and Taweret were very "household" type deities, I'm sure there were others...the answer might not be needed now, though (just now saw the question...)

Comment

• I'm a little wary about the Nisut. I put in my application for the next class though. It's all far too interesting!

I've also been looking at other branches of Kemetic. Not sure yet....

Anywhoo.... ***bump***
                            Sat Bast, meryt Serqet-Aset her Yenipu-Wepwawet her HetHert-Sekhmet
                            "While I dance I cannot judge,
                            I cannot hate,
                            I cannot seperate myself from life.
                            I can only be joyful and whole.
                            That is why I dance."
                            --Hans Bos

Comment

• I was a little iffy about the concept of the Nisut (AUS) at first myself, but let me assure you of something I've come to realize on my own, and later had verified by people who would really know: translating the word "Nisut" as King is not really 100% accurate... In fact, I'd put it closer to about 15% accurate. She is just another member of the faith who has a special role, but that role is not about rights or power, it is about incredable responsibility. As Nisut (AUS) she bears a burden for the sake of all of the House's members. She puts her body (and her sanity) on the line for us daily. Its worth noting that she also quite literally "commands" us not to worship her, although many of us do have a place in our shrines to the Ka Nisw, the essence of the institution of the Nisut and a minor god in its own right.

It all sounds a little crazy I know... but then I never claimed I wasn't crazy. :hehehehe:
                              Sa Yinepu-Wepwawet mery Khepera her Bast
                              (The Rule) (Copyright Policy) (Candle Altar)

Comment

• Originally posted by Romani Vixen
                                I'm a little wary about the Nisut. I put in my application for the next class though. It's all far too interesting!

I've also been looking at other branches of Kemetic. Not sure yet....

Anywhoo.... ***bump***
                                I was definitely a little wary at first too. I still haven't shed all of my wariness, but I'm getting there. During the beginner's class, you have access to a forum where all members of the faith can ask her anything they want, and she'll answer honestly. I have yet to see a post that rings any alarms to me, she seems like a genuinely nice, humble, kind person.

And it seems to me that a lot of people have got the impression that KOers worship her...that's not right either...the easiest comparison to me is that of the Pope or Dalai Lama. I think Dalai Lama is probably more accurate(with the reincarnated essence of the Buddha and whatnot - and sorry if that was a bit off, Buddhism isn't my strong point ).

The beginner's class is really interesting, and the Imakhu are great teachers! :D

Comment

Working...
                                X