Ostara treats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ostara treats

I'm thinking of making hot cross buns for Ostara - does anyone have any good recipes??

Also want to have some hard boiled eggs for eating as well as decorating, and maybe some store bought easter cookies in the shape of bunnies or tulips.
    ~NITEFALLE~
    Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
    Always in search of, and one step in back of,
    Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
    ~Willie Nelson~

sigpic

Okay, how about recipes for Deviled Eggs??? Anyone got one they wouldn't mind sharing?
    ~NITEFALLE~

~Willie Nelson~

sigpic

Comment

We have seven women in our Grove (coven) and I think we all have different recipes for deviled eggs.

Our Ostara ritual includes a little play about Hades kidnapping Persephone and her mother Demeter having to rescue her, so since we're doing a Greek play we decided to have a Greek menu for dinner: roast lamb w/mash and gravy, Greek salad, falafel, deviled eggs, and baby peas in butter sauce. Not sure what we're having for dessert - one lady always offers to bring biscuits and we've been trying to get her to try making new things.

Comment

Mmmmm, mind one more for dinner? That sounds fantastic!! Ask her if she'll make baklavah...still flaky, like biscuits. Almost the same thing *grins* It's just a small step from one to the other. :bigblue:
        ~NITEFALLE~

~Willie Nelson~

sigpic

Comment

We did mention baklava, but that can be expensive to make and most of us are on a very tight budget. But yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Since one of our crones decided to organize the dinners instead of having potluck, we're having much better meals.

Comment

Deviled eggs are super easy.

Take 1 dozen eggs, boil them until cooked n hard boiled. (The time depends on the amount water/size of pot used).

Peel eggs, then cut in half lengthwise. Dump the yolks into a bowl. Add 1 egg to the yolks, so you have 11 halved empty eggs on a plate. Into the yolk/egg bowl add 1-2 tbspoons mayo and 1/2 tbsp mustard. Mix and mush into a paste. Add more mayo until you get the desired consistancy. Fill egg halves, sprinkle with paprika.
            "We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers--you can blame anyone, but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's ALWAYS your fault, because if you wanted to change, you're the one who has got to change. It's as simple as that, isn't it?"
            -- Katharine Hepburn

Comment

And the easiest way to refill the egg white halves is to put the mashed yolk mixture into a baggie and snip off one corner, then gently squeeze it out into the hollow.

Comment

Aaaah, thanks guys!! That sounds delish.

Lunacie - maybe they can make biscuits, then just drizzle with honey and sprinkle chopped nuts over the top? Almost like baklava, at least it's in the same spirit.
                ~NITEFALLE~

~Willie Nelson~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brigid Rowan View Post
                  Deviled eggs are super easy.

Take 1 dozen eggs, boil them until cooked n hard boiled. (The time depends on the amount water/size of pot used).

Peel eggs, then cut in half lengthwise. Dump the yolks into a bowl. Add 1 egg to the yolks, so you have 11 halved empty eggs on a plate. Into the yolk/egg bowl add 1-2 tbspoons mayo and 1/2 tbsp mustard. Mix and mush into a paste. Add more mayo until you get the desired consistancy. Fill egg halves, sprinkle with paprika.

My mom and grandmother always made them with spicy or dijon mustard and miracle whip :bigredgri We use pickle relish too, and a little salt, and a little more pepper, but no paprika.

A plain old spoon works well to fill the eggs, as long as you make sure not to fill them backwards (spoon handle to thicker side/top of egg). It's always fun to eat the ones you mess up anyway

Maybe it's because I grew up on them but I've always liked our family deviled eggs the best :mmm:
                  Last edited by brier_thorne; March 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X