New Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Age

I was wonderin if there are any New Agers floating arond,and if sowhat are the basic pricipals and beliefes of new age.I know there are different kindsbut what makes a new ager a new ager?
    Beware my friends as you pass by,
    as you are now so ounce was I,
    as I am now so you shall be,
    prepare my friends to follow me.
    -Old Tombstone saying.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange eons even death may die.
    -H.P.Lovecraft

RAY OF LIGHT
    Integrated Massage Therepy.
    56 n.bedford Street.
    E.Bridgewater,Ma 02333
    508-350-9991
    For messages ask for Ray
    For Reiki,Past life regression,crystal therapy,and spirit guides ask for Kerry.
    www.getthestressout.com

o_O

I was planning to post almost this exact same thread today . . .

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

Comment

http://www.religioustolerance.org/newage.htm

From the introduction:

The New Age Movement is in a class by itself. Unlike most formal religions, it has no holy text, central organization, membership, formal clergy, geographic center, dogma, creed, etc. They often use mutually exclusive definitions for some of their terms. The New Age is in fact a free-flowing spiritual movement; a network of believers and practitioners who share somewhat similar beliefs and practices, which they add on to whichever formal religion that they follow. Their book publishers take the place of a central organization; seminars, conventions, books and informal groups replace of sermons and religious services.
      Also: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/80/story_8055_1.html

Hopefully a real New Ager will come along and answer

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

Comment

I'm not a new ager but, I have known a few and from what I get out of it they're into a lot of different metaphysical pratices. Belief system really doesn't have a lot to do with as far as I know, they can believe about anything. Although they tend towards a mix of christainty and eastern beliefs. Though not all of them do and if I'm wrong I'm sorry. They seem to be the most interested in engery work and healing of all types.
        As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

Comment

Thank u meadbh and mithrea,I enjoyed your website and your insights.
          Beware my friends as you pass by,
          as you are now so ounce was I,
          as I am now so you shall be,
          prepare my friends to follow me.
          -Old Tombstone saying.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
          And with strange eons even death may die.
          -H.P.Lovecraft

RAY OF LIGHT
          Integrated Massage Therepy.
          56 n.bedford Street.
          E.Bridgewater,Ma 02333
          508-350-9991
          For messages ask for Ray
          For Reiki,Past life regression,crystal therapy,and spirit guides ask for Kerry.
          www.getthestressout.com

Comment

I was raised in what could be called a "New Age" path. Heh. I later found out it was a scam and based off other religions (Buddhism, Hinduism, etc). By the time I was 11 I stopped believing it it/practicing and started my endless quest.
            Not everything about it was bad-- a lot of the ideas (which are again similar to Buddhism and Hinduism) made sense. One thing that I held onto was the belief in the soul, astral forms of the body, reincarnation and past lives.

Comment

Yes there's plenty of graft and corruption in the New Age world. Everyone needs to use their intuition to sort the crap from the divine.

The New Age movement brings a whole lot of traditions together. You pick and choose what seems right for you.

Awakened to the Truth
              Open to the Source
              Heart towards the World
              A channel for the Light

I've been Ghosted by FairieSpirit

Comment

I think I would be classed as a New Ager, though I do detest that title. :uhhuhuh:

I do a lot of energy work, healing using crystals, Tarot reading (though am really rusty!) Light work. I believe in the afterlife and reincarnation, souls, past lives and so on.

I also weave in Buddhist pratices with a touch of Wicca and a dose of witchery. So I guess I am an all rounder lol

Doing what calls to me and not what the book says is how I live. I find it easier that way.
                Shashawnee Takia

Profile Artwork by Michele-lee Phelan

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry. And I know you do the same things too, So we're really not that different, me and you.” Colin Raye

Comment

Awk....did the test and I am 100% New Age.....96% Neo Pagan

I really do not like the name New Age.......I finally found a name for myself...for the moment any ways...Source.ress on my path towards Source....maybe I will start my own religion....just jokin

I do not like the name Pagan...Witch...deep in my heart I would call myself a Christian..Jesus is my mentor....I beleive him to be a diety...and I beleive in one Source whatever you want to call "It" God/Godess/Spirit????I do not beleive in the Devil or Satin....one of my purposes in life is to deepen my relationship with God...
                  Last edited by BearDancing; October 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM.
                  Enter Her World
                  ~Jaqueline Frost touches the flowers~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FairieSpirit View Post

I really do not like the name New Age.......I finally found a name for myself...for the moment any ways...Source.ress on my path towards Source....maybe I will start my own religion....just jokin
                    "New Age" is just an umbrella term to describe a large set of beliefs, it doesn't have to define you. You don't have to call yourself New Age, even. You can call yourself whatever you like. "New Age" is very much like "Pagan" -- it's an umbrella term to describe many types of beliefs and paths, everything from Wicca to some recon paths. Some people are okay with calling themselves "Pagan," and others prefer something else. For the purposes of this forum, "New Age" is the phrase to be used for this area (ie Paths: New Age) as it best describes the paths that are under this umbrella
                    Last edited by Agaliha; October 15th, 2008, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agaliha View Post
                      "New Age" is just an umbrella term to describe a large set of beliefs, it doesn't have to define you. You don't have to call yourself New Age, even. You can call yourself whatever you like. "New Age" is very much like "Pagan" -- it's an umbrella term to describe many types of beliefs and paths, everything from Wicca to some recon paths. Some people are okay with calling themselves "Pagan," and others prefer something else. For the purposes of this forum, "New Age" is the phrase to be used for this area as it best describes the paths that are under this umbrella

Agree!!

I was called a new age hippie by a co worker. Um.. Ok... She based this off of my beliefs and the fact that I have longish hair and don't eat meat. None of the above has anything to do with the other. I am not a hippie, but i was not offended by either term.
                      Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

Comment

oh look, awesome, a new age forum like I was hoping. cool!
                        Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Comment

Originally posted by RainInanna View Post
                          oh look, awesome, a new age forum like I was hoping. cool!
                          I thought you might like the addition
                          Hopefully, it'll get some more threads and use, it's rather empty now!

Comment

I like "New Age".

I have felt like it was a taboo word here at MW... The fact is, there are more similarities than differences beteween paganism and lightwork; most people in both groups are into the Tarot, astrology, they believe they can change the energy around them through inner change, through ritual or affirmations.

The biggest difference in my opinion is that lightwork involves emotional clearing and healing. I consider myself a better witch because of all the "work" I did on myself. Getting to know my emotional issues and resolving them helps me to be clear about my own motives when I craft a spell. Maybe it's my own lifepath but I do assume most "new agers" have been through some sort of healing through chakra clearing or something.

I am new to paganism, I have only embraced it recently and my background is new age but I have always had an altar, observed the moon and lit candles on special nights.

The danger in both paths is to look ouwtward and forget our inner Source... relying on channeled materials, books, deities and statues instead of turning into our own spiritual truth...

What I have found out more and more is that you can use lightwork and have an inner altar and work with light magic and blend all that with the "earth based" work. Light is powerful so I am "keeping" that and using it with all the new things I am learning through paganism.

Think of casting a circle and assigning a color to it, calling on ascended masters to assist you in ritual, or blessing a candle with moon, stars and a violet flame. The possibilities are endless!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fireyone View Post
                              The fact is, there are more similarities than differences beteween paganism and lightwork; most people in both groups are into the Tarot, astrology, they believe they can change the energy around them through inner change, through ritual or affirmations.
                              QFT I find often when people say they're Pagan they're using New Age concepts and wrapping them in a religious framework.
                              Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Comment

Working...
                              X