Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What practices & beliefs do you associate with "New Age" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am thinking that many more channeled books on spirituality have been produced.( apparently Jesus and God are being channeled in some books and many other dieties)...many more self help books (Louise Hayes, Wayne Dwer) there is much talk of enlightenment...changing levels of concsiousness...things like the White Brotherhood...much more focus on angels and fairies....things like guided meditation...learning more about special spiritual gifts of the Universe...e.g. plants, mineral,animals, birds etc and how to learn and grow from each other...developing a personal relationship with dieties and God/Godess...being guided spiritually from spirit different spirit forms....ArchAngels, dieties, animals etc..working towards learning past life experiences and see how they may or may not fit or figure with this lifetime.....soul mates...soul love....

These are a few....and my belief in regards to chooseing your parents is that you have a karmic lesson in this life to learn...God sets the parameters for the lesson and then each of use gets to choose as long as we stay within Gods parameters...It is not that you choose to be raped.......but you choose the parents that have the potential to guide you....where ever it is that you need to go...but everyone has different karma...some may just be at the wrong place at the wrong time and everyone is free to make choices every moment of their lives that constantly changes their path.....there are people who do not learn their karmic lesson in one life time and return until it is learnt....it is possible that a rape victims karma is to find the strength to stand up for themselves, learn forgiveness...it is hard not to judge "the horrible action"..say rape....yet it is harder still to get past the horrible action and you do have controll over your Re.action...it is more from the re. action that I beleive people grow from experiences....it is very coomplex journey and just saying "Why would anyone choose to be raped or live a life of disease and poverty" is ignorance.....as in not having the knowledge...or it just does not sit right with you and you choose not to persue the possible knowledge

Is being Pagan not New Age....the focuse on earth based religions has skyrocked since the so called New Age. I would say opening many more doors, of many diverse spiritiual paths and religions...25 years ago there were by no means the popularity as of today of people searching for a spiritual peace....when did Wicca begin? not the ancient Wiccan but by the guy..Gardner comes to mind, who redeveloped what many follow today....was that about the time of the beginning of the New AGe
    Last edited by BearDancing; October 16th, 2008, 11:29 PM.
    Enter Her World
    ~Jaqueline Frost touches the flowers~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agaliha View Post
      I don't see how this is only a New Age problem. It can be found in Paganism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism and all kinds of paths. You can have a Pagan, Wicca, etc who reads tons of books, knows all the rituals and lingo, but doesn't really practice their path. You can have a Christian who knows the Bible through and through, but doesn't practice the qualities within it, such as compassion and understanding and instead judges people. Etc, etc. etc. This isn't limited to New Age. There has to be a balance between practice and researching/learning, I think.
      I totally agree with you, yet I have only experience with New Age and none of the other so I do not feel I should speculate about others in other paths

I also don't see how the actions of those people that don't walk the walk as you put it, would turn you off to a whole idea, belief system and path. There are plenty of people that are part of the New Age movement that do practice their path. Just as their are plenty of Christians, Pagans, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc that do as well. And besides all paths are going to have problems, none are perfect.

there may be "many" I do not know them...I live in the country and do not have access to multiple relgions that actuallly practice their beliefs and make it a life path....and belelive me I have searched for people of like mind to share my life with and grow....I have 2 such friends and my sister and we stay in contact by phone...I have not been turned off actually by the path...I have been turned off by the people I have met...they do not have the depth that I am looking for...and the option of the Internet only can go soooo far...One of my incredible friends was met over the internet but in my experience to get to know someone at that level over the internet is not an everyday occurance

As for the questions I asked, do you have anything to add there? I was hoping to get some feedback to help with discussions and whatnot.
      as per my next post
      Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumedsnake View Post
        Isn't new age a reference to the age of Aquarius which is just beginning. According to some sources this will be an age of goodness and light and lots of fluffiness yeah. But according to other sources it's just a reshuffling of the energy pack but isn't necessarily more light or more dark.
        In my experience/opinion it is an "Age of of Excellerated Learning of Higher Levels of Concsiousness"
        I am not concerned with the actual dates...say in the last 2000 yrs man/wymin were basically focused on survival, security, providing for family and community, health in a scientific way, more learning and growing on the physical plane....I believe that man/wymin have reached a new era....where there the focus is now going to be on spiritual growth...and I beleive that the Universe, dieties, angels,guides are more available to us to accelerate our growth in a different direction.

I beleive that in the past 2000 yrs was more based on earthly learning...working very hard to provide for themselves...it was almost like couples working together to exist.....where as in the New Era people will be partnered for spiritual growth....learning lessons and growing together....I feel in the New Era relationships will not last 45...55 yrs....some may well...but I feel that we are moving more towards learnning spiritually together and then moving on to where our soul is directing/leading us for maximum spiritual growth.....I beleive we are in a transition period now....many more divorces....(not all these people are concscious of what is happening) more and more same sex marriages, people "really feeling spiritualy lead to another" and not understanding that it is a cry from the soul that is leading you in different directions.....this is just a start if any are interested:uhhuhuh:
        Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

I think the term "new age" is the label somebody stuck on self enlightenment "discovering" that people have been following alternative paths. THEY just found a way to capitalize in it. And, admittedly as a newbie, I fell in to a lot of "tourist trappy" ideas and bought a lot of things I didn't really need. But THOUGHT I did. But one grows. And goes deeper in to their path, or discovers another.

Comment

1) Christianising Wicca -- Stuff like the First Church of Wicca where it's obviously a mishmash of the two in either a misguided attempt at "mainstreaming" Eclectic Wicca or a gross attempt at scamming people; or both. Neither Tradition/Initiate-based Wicca nor its Eclectic/Solitary interpretations need to be a "church" for any reason.

In my experience call it what you may..."church" or coven or study group...it is very nice to have like people so share and learn with..something that I charish

2) Believing that dolphins have "powers" or can comunicate with humans on a higher level than they currently do (which is about as well as cats or dogs communicate with us).

It is not just dolphins...all have the capabilities to share with humans....rocks, animals, plants etc.,it is only if the human is concsiousness enought to hear them..and realise it is guidance...even if they say can not communicate with the said dolphins they are working with them emotionally and physically more....the vibration of the dolpins mixes with our "human" vibrations and there is always a change when two vibrations come together ( this emcompasses everything that comes together....having flowers in your garden, sharing a relationship with a pet)...that is if you beleive in the structure of an atom..... who was that guy that discovered that all matter vibrates at a different rate....depending on its molecular makeup!!!!

3) The appropriation of First Nations/Native/Aboriginal North American/Mesoamerican/Amerindian spiritual traditions, often very, very inaccurately or inappropriately seems to have long been a staple among what's been coined "New Age". My first boyfriend was Cherokee and his mother said "a good rule of thumb is that if the self-described spiritual guide or leader looks White and lacks papers, chances are good that it's a New Age scam -- not always, but usually; money is usually a sign of sketchy intent, but sometimes the poor guy is only charging what he's sure will ultimately pay for his motel or gas money, if he's getting into three-digits a head, run".

I agree some are taking advantange of Native American/Aboringinals etc....but even if a drumming circle is not the "way" the natives did it 400 yrs ago does not mean that people coming together to drum does not facilitate spiritual experiences or simply give them joy....I know for myself just listening to certain music can lift my mood...(again vibrations coming together always mix and change the two single ones) Native American "Sun Dance" the Lakota..mainly Crow Dog....have invited white people into their sacred ceremonies....and if you pierce yourself and dance from sun up to sun down for 4 days...and fast...and Pray the whole time....you will have a spiritual experience whether you are white, yellow, brown....it does not matter...it may not be the "same as the ancient ways" but it is a spiritual path in its own....actually I have met many Native Americans who do not even know their Clans spiritual path...a lot are trapped in anger "about how they are treated" and to grow spiritually anger has never been a part of it...in my experieince and I do have experience talking to different elders of different clans/tribes

4) I seem to have noticed a lot of inappropriate and/or inaccurate appropriation of Buddhist teachings and/or imagery, and to a much lesser extent, Hindu.

Yes there are people who extract from one religion or beleif system which works for them...do the Buddist or Hindis care?

5) I could also probably throw in Meher Baba and similar, but usually when I think of "NewAge", I think of total nonsense (dolphin powers), cultural misappropriation, and cult-like scams (First Church of Wicca, etc...). What I know of Meher Baba's teachings, and similar, is that he's mixed a lot of spiritual traditions and mysticism, so his teachings probably have a significant validity (hey, at least Pete Townshend didn't become a sort of pre-Tom Cruise), but I'm not so sure about declaring himself "the Avatar of the age" -- his Wikipaedia page seems to lack a "criticisms" section, though so does the Mother Theresa page, and if you've seen that episode of Penn & Teller's Bullsheet, then you'd know that even some practising Catholics have issue with Mother Theresa.[/quote]
            I really do respect your opinion....just as you would respect mine if I was talking about your chosen path....I have little knowledge of Greek Gods so my opinions, in your view, would lack depth ...probably because I did not study or follow that path....

Yet I thank you for getting me thinking...it was fun
            Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YoungSoulRebel View Post
              Well, not even. Depending on which of the primary two astrologers dating even the "beginning" of the Age of Aquarius, we're either in the middle of it or a good 1500+ years from it [Wikipaedia link]. Don't let the musical Hair fool you, like it fooled Roseanne -- we are not in even the "dawning" of the Age of Aquarius, and considering that each astrological age is approximately 2,150 years, like it said, we're either in the beginning of the middle, or we're at about Noontime of the Piscean age.
              Yes these may be the "Stats" yet what do you "feel"...not what do you think...do you feel any changes
              Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agaliha View Post
                see, Wiki:
                I think the Wiki definition is appropriate. New Age refers to the idea that spirituality is a path towards enlightenment, growth, and development of the self and society, regardless of religion or dogma. It is similar to Chaos theory in that it doesn't refer to adherence to any specific religion but uses any that suits the individual. Whereas Chaos usually focus on experimentation and magical technique, New Age refers to spirituality and perhaps energy work and divination as they relate to self development.

In particular I'm interested in New Age mysticism and theosophy, sometimes referred to as ascension magick as well. C Penzak has a book out on the subject, though I tend more towards Rufi, women's spirituality, and Feri Witchcraft, whereas Penczak leans more towards Theosophical teachings. A lot of the points he mentions to introduce ascension magick are applicable regardless though, in terms of development, enlightenment, and ongoing spiritual, personal practice.
                Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Comment

Originally posted by RainInanna View Post
                  I think the Wiki definition is appropriate. New Age refers to the idea that spirituality is a path towards enlightenment, growth, and development of the self and society, regardless of religion or dogma. It is similar to Chaos theory in that it doesn't refer to adherence to any specific religion but uses any that suits the individual. Whereas Chaos usually focus on experimentation and magical technique, New Age refers to spirituality and perhaps energy work and divination as they relate to self development.

In particular I'm interested in New Age mysticism and theosophy, sometimes referred to as ascension magick as well. C Penzak has a book out on the subject, though I tend more towards Rufi, women's spirituality, and Feri Witchcraft, whereas Penczak leans more towards Theosophical teachings. A lot of the points he mentions to introduce ascension magick are applicable regardless though, in terms of development, enlightenment, and ongoing spiritual, personal practice.
                  are you referring to say "White Brotherhood" of acsended master The Ascended Masters have for many decades taught that, until the Permanent Golden Age is fully manifest in the physical, there would always be a Messenger in physical embodiment releasing Ascended Master Wisdom and Light. "Anointed Messengers of the Great White Brotherhood" are the means through which Instruction and Dictations directly from Ascended Masters, Archangels, and Cosmic Beings are delivered to embodied humanity, as well as the means through which Releases of Light can be anchored into the physical, emotional, mental, and etheric planes.
                  just wonderin
                  Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

I haven't read all of the thread in detail, mostly 'cause I'm quite drunk right now (been out with friends), but, I associate the New Age with an obsession with visualizations, thinking being able to visualize is magic, when magic is a lot harder than being able to visualize a bunch of white light, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by David19 View Post
                      I haven't read all of the thread in detail, mostly 'cause I'm quite drunk right now (been out with friends), but, I associate the New Age with an obsession with visualizations, thinking being able to visualize is magic, when magic is a lot harder than being able to visualize a bunch of white light, etc.
                      :cheers:
                      Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

The positive thing I like about the New Age is the freedom to express oneself and to follow spiritual paths wherever they lead.

I used to like the open-mindedness...but realised that New Agies can be just as closed minded as pagans, christians or other groups. It's a certain population of humans that close their minds once they have found their religion or spiritual path...it's a fact of life.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungSoulRebel View Post
                          I think a lot of these things can also be NewAge -- reincarnation and karma, though, only in terms of appropriation from other religions. The idea that we all "choose" our lives before we were born just, frankly, smacks of victim-blaming and other forms of dehumanising anti-compassion, to me: My best friend was raped really horribly and she's got such a severe form of bipolar disorder that she can't even drive a car (not even with her stabilising meds) -- who the hell would "choose" that? Either of those? I guess I can understand "choosing" to be Rufus Wainwright or even just a sweet stay-at-home mother of four who has an awesome husband with a thing for getting spanked, or maybe even "choosing" to be the stereotypical bohemian artist-type who didn't end up with AIDS in RENT.... But who would "choose" to be a starving child in Africa? Who would "choose" to be some Amerindian woman who got raped repeatedly as her villiage burned and her boys were killed in front of her? The idea that "we all chose our lives before we were born" makes it too easy to let people off the hook from caring about those around them -- bad things happening to you that you can't figure out how to stop, or simply can't stop? Well, too bad for you, this NewAge lecturer says that you chose this existance just like I chose to have a 15lb benign growth on my chest that caused my spine to collapse and my paternal grandmother chose both breast and ovarian cancer, and my father chose the life where his first wife and unborn child died in a car wreck and chose the factory closing down in '84, and my mother chose to be a lesbian and have the courts prevent her from seeing her youngest children ever again, and the Keltoi chose Roman invasion, my friend chose getting horribly raped, and one in three Trans women chooses to get horribly raped and/or murdered. It was all chosen long before birth! Long before concption, if you know which NewAge lecturer to talk to! I don't care what kind of justification they're using, it just doesn't logically follow that people would *choose* a physically or emotionally painful experience.
                          Although I say more power to anyone who honestly wants to believe this sort of belief, what you have written here reflects my own objections to it perfectly.

I don't know enough about the "Indigo children" thing to offer a really informed opinion (and I don't really have the time or the patience to educate myself on the matter right now), but I do agree with your comments about the Age of Aquarius. I don't believe we're living in an era of peace and light right now. Crowley's Age of Horus seems like a more likely description for current climes, though I am not inclined to use that term either. I think a good argument can be made that we are living in what the Hindu mystics call the Kali Yuga, instead. Setians refer to something called the "Aeon of Set" but rather than being time-specific periods that cancel out previous periods, we tend to think of "aeons" in more of a non-linear sense. (A Setian might say he or she is living in the Aeon of Set, but most people in the world are still living in the Aeon of Osiris, while a smaller majority lives in the Aeon of Isis, and others are in the Aeon of Horus, etc. This admittedly is quite different from how I have seen most people use the term.) So in saying that I live in the Aeon of Set I am not even remotely referring to the same thing as what others mean by "the Age of Aquarius." I think the world has a long, long way to go before we can ever reach an era of universal peace and nonviolence, in fact we may never even get there. Though this is not to say it is not a goal worth working for.

So this is another reason why I do not consider myself or what I do to be "New Age."
                          My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

Comment

Originally posted by David19 View Post
                            thinking being able to visualize is magic, when magic is a lot harder than being able to visualize a bunch of white light, etc.
                            David, visualization is perhaps the first technique anyone should learn to do magic. It has widespread use in Wicca on its own in affirmations and as part of spells.

I don't think spells are harder, I just think they're more complicated. Whereas you might call visualization easier than spellwork, I call spellwork too much complexity tacked on simple visualization and energy work. As I've said in other threads on spellwork, I don't remember the last time I did spells, because ongoing energy work and visualization remove the need to do so. I call it more effective.
                            Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Comment

Originally posted by FairieSpirit View Post
                              are you referring to say "White Brotherhood" of acsended master
                              Not really. I'm referring to a spiritual paradigm that suggests you don't have to put your faith in ascended masters or adhere to any specific religion, and instead should only use them as they help you achieve personal and cultural development. Use anything that works. In Chaos magic you take that thought and use it to experiment with all kinds of magical systems to get results. In New Age spirituality, you use it to build your own spirituality and then live it daily. You don't do spells to see if you can get a lot of money, you work towards enlightenment. It's actually in line with high magic in terms of the work, but without the rules and props.

Penczak does mention ascended masters in his book, and I don't discredit the importance of Buddha's teachings, nor Jesus's, and others, but otherwise, I'm not into channeling ascended masters myself.

What I'm trying to convey though is that saying it's about channeling, ascended masters, crystals, dolphins, reincarnation, etc. etc. is missing the forest for the trees. Just like you wouldn't say Wicca is about chakras and tarot, despite that you can certainly use those as a Wiccan. Outsiders who don't know any better might say Wicca is tree-hugging, but we all know better. I wouldn't say Kemeticism (Ancient Egyptian reconstructionism) is about pharoahs and pyramids either. It would be insulting for one thing, and ignorant of the real value of Egyptian spirituality for another.
                              Last edited by RainInanna; October 17th, 2008, 10:05 AM.
                              Om Namah Shivaya.

Comment

Originally posted by FairieSpirit View Post
                                Yes these may be the "Stats" yet what do you "feel"...not what do you think...do you feel any changes
                                Seeing as I'm only in my late twenties, asking what I "feel" about this Age is nonsensical. I can't compare it to th previous one, for very obvious reasons, and since I don't believe that the concept of "past life memories" has much validity; especially considering that there are far more people on this planet right now then there have been in all past centuries combined, this then means that there must obviously be a wide variety of "new" souls -- and considering the 1:3 likelihood of mine being one of those "new souls" asking what I "feel" about this Age is running the risk of getting some answer that is based on nothing but my own wishful thinking that I "have lived this life before", thus it would have no basis on this Age or any other, it would be merely an idea put forth on mere speculation.

ETA: Also, if the Age of Aquarius is truly an astrological Age, then it can't be based on "feeling" -- it's based on astrology. Astrology may be an "imperfect science", but the fact that it's based on observable data (the position of the stars) is enough to suggest that it is, to some small degree, a science -- an imperfect science, as I said, but a science nonetheless. If X is based on "feeling" and not the position of the stars, then it's not astrology and shouldn't be addressed in astrological terms.
                                Last edited by YoungSoulRebel; October 17th, 2008, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X