Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What practices & beliefs do you associate with "New Age" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C. Iulia Regilia View Post
    I don't have a problem with you being New Age, I simply have theological issues with being new age myself. I would also have a hard time with other paths. Not my thing, but I'm really not going to judge it outright as evil.
    I am not New Age as I stated in my previous post. I am a Wiccan who has studied a number of paths for more than 20yrs and am simply attempting to be objective and fair in my understanding of what New Age is.

I do use incense -- but I use the ones that the Greco-Roman tradition says is what the gods like. I don't know about vibrations and so on -- maybe that's why they like frankensence and myrrh?
    I use incense and use frankensence and myrrh myself for rituals of devotion as well as oil of the same type for general anointing purposes. The attributions we use, the attributes the ancients used, are based on the concept of sympathetic resonance. For whatever reason certain substances are more amenable to certain types of workings. This is an ancient magickal principle.

The "vibes" New Age types speak about is similar. For example, a certain stone such as rose quartz is good for increasing feelings of love. This is sympathetic resonance or the stone's "vibes" which relate to love. Its the same as in magick, plain and simple.

Personally I don't believe in otherkin or some of the odder beliefs about crystals. As I said earlier I've read things on atlantis that have crystals being a power source, a light source and a healing device. I don't think that makes a whole lotta sense. Maybe they have something that might attract spirits of healing or whatever, but they aren't some sort of cosmic swiss army knife.
    Well the otherkin thing is something I have found exclusively within Pagan subculture and for a pagan to claim that they aren't actually human (without any evidence whatsoever) is just as strange as a New Ager claiming to be part alien or something. The otherkin belief system seems rooted in a misunderstanding of shamanic workings in which one connects with the spirit of the wolf, for example, or astrally shapeshifts into non-human forms. Like many things, it appears to be a misunderstanding rooted in a reality.

Well I'm not into the Atlantis thing myself except as a curiosity or the use of crystals as light generators and whatnot. I don't buy it myself but again these things are no odder than some of the beliefs held by our fellow Pagans.

As for people having the idea that the whole universe is there for them -- I'll have to quote a famous astronomer "the universe is really good at finding ways to kill us". Look at the vastness of space and say it's about you -- I can't.
    This belief is found not only in New Age thinking but amongst some fundamentalist Christians who believe that the Earth is the spiritual center of the universe and that God placed the stars in the sky just for us to enjoy. Ultimately we can find all the oddness found in New Age beliefs both closer to home amongst Pagans and farther afield in other religions.

The universe isn't for us in the small egioc sense but it is about the underlying consciousness we may call God or Goddess or Tao. We are intimately connected to this All That Is and share in the fundamental life of the cosmos as individualized manifestations of Infinite Consciousness. The universe isn't about the self, it's about the Self. This isn't New Age thinking but the thinking of cross-cultural mysticism throughout the ages.

)o( Blessed Be,

Sundragon
    Last edited by Sundragon; November 21st, 2010, 01:27 AM.
    Come visit my blog

Sorcery and Spirit

where I discuss Magick, Mystical Spirituality and whatever else comes to mind.

" Wherever you are is home
    And the earth is paradise
    Wherever you set your feet is holy land . . .
    You don't live off it like a parasite.
    You live in it, and it in you,
    Or you don't survive.
    And that is the only worship of God there is."

- Wilfred Pelletier and Ted Poole

Comment

Anything that can not show a verifiable history of at least several hundred years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sundragon View Post
        I am not New Age as I stated in my previous post. I am a Wiccan who has studied a number of paths for more than 20yrs and am simply attempting to be objective and fair in my understanding of what New Age is.

I use incense and use frankensence and myrrh myself for rituals of devotion as well as oil of the same type for general anointing purposes. The attributions we use, the attributes the ancients used, are based on the concept of sympathetic resonance. For whatever reason certain substances are more amenable to certain types of workings. This is an ancient magickal principle.
        I don't see much in the sources I've seen that suggest anybody prior thought that the incence had a vibration. It was mostly because it had a smell that the gods like. Sort of like mom's favorite perfume -- it's about the odor as far as I can tell. Though I confess my ignorance of Magicks.

The "vibes" New Age types speak about is similar. For example, a certain stone such as rose quartz is good for increasing feelings of love. This is sympathetic resonance or the stone's "vibes" which relate to love. Its the same as in magick, plain and simple.
        perhaps, or it could be that spirts that reside in stone pick certain types. I guess I'm potato potahto on this stuff.

Well the otherkin thing is something I have found exclusively within Pagan subculture and for a pagan to claim that they aren't actually human (without any evidence whatsoever) is just as strange as a New Ager claiming to be part alien or something. The otherkin belief system seems rooted in a misunderstanding of shamanic workings in which one connects with the spirit of the wolf, for example, or astrally shapeshifts into non-human forms. Like many things, it appears to be a misunderstanding rooted in a reality.
        Probably. But these are newish phenomena as well. No ancient I'm aware of ever claimed to be a wolf. The only reference to a man becoming a wolf in Greek thought was turned into a wolf as a punishment for human sacrifice.

Well I'm not into the Atlantis thing myself except as a curiosity or the use of crystals as light generators and whatnot. I don't buy it myself but again these things are no odder than some of the beliefs held by our fellow Pagans.
        Well, I do suspect that civilization may be older than we think it is. Maybe not a place called Atlantis, but highly advanced civilizations perhaps prior to the ice ages. It just always seems weird to me that humans could have existed for 100K years and only develop agriculture and civilization within the last 10K to 20K years. It doesn't fit very well. I don't think that the crystal lights thing makes much sense -- craystals are pretty good focusing agents (like in lasers) but not good for radiating energy like lightbulbs.

This belief is found not only in New Age thinking but amongst some fundamentalist Christians who believe that the Earth is the spiritual center of the universe and that God placed the stars in the sky just for us to enjoy. Ultimately we can find all the oddness found in New Age beliefs both closer to home amongst Pagans and farther afield in other religions.

The universe isn't for us in the small egioc sense but it is about the underlying consciousness we may call God or Goddess or Tao. We are intimately connected to this All That Is and share in the fundamental life of the cosmos as individualized manifestations of Infinite Consciousness. The universe isn't about the self, it's about the Self. This isn't New Age thinking but the thinking of cross-cultural mysticism throughout the ages.

)o( Blessed Be,

Sundragon[/quote]

Comment

New Age = spiritualities influenced by the "New Age"/Modern Times = Wicca, recons and everything in between... in one sense.

In another, it can also mean spiritualities influenced by the belief that we are entering a new age/age of aquarious crowd.

suspect it depends on your definition of the word.
          Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The first visualization I get when I hear "New Age" is of crystal therapy or using gems like rose quartz to heal. (Even though I know the belief of deriving magical benefit of stones goes back a long ways.)

Other things that I seem to think of when I hear New Age: past life regression, essential oil based aromatherapy, singing bowls, and also people who have that sort of weird "troubled peace" about them (like they've intellectually learned what they need to be happy but it's not really how they feel in their heart.)

Bear in mind I lived in Santa Fe for about 17 years... there's New Age for you...
            The Famous Mother Bombie's Book of Witchcraft and Cunning Magick for Fortune Telling, Herb Magick, Divination, Charms, Potions and Old-Time Spellcraft.

Comment

I don't think of New Age in terms of specific practices and beliefs. Much like Neopaganism, which it was influenced by and has in turn influenced over the years, it has its roots in Theosophy and the Western Occult revival of the 19th and 20th centuries. They have too similar a set of practices and ideas for me to really differentiate and characterise over that.
              Instead, I think of "New Age" as an attitude. It's decidedly more urban than the somewhat agrarian and pastoralist attitude paganism theoretically espouses. Perhaps when it started up, it was an attempt to take neopagan and occult ideas and apply them to a very modern, arguably postmodern, setting: the contemporary city or suburban neighbourhood. But it has morphed into what I see as an attitude of irresponsible eclecticism. When I think "New Ager" I think of the kind of person that mixes watered-down, westernised Hindu mysticism, Greek classical elements and astrology, "crystal healing," and Amerindian folk beliefs with no regard for the historical and cultural context in which those things originated. It's irresponsible, and arguably insulting to the culture from which those pieces are drawn. Overall, it feels like a very shallow and insincere approach, concerned with the trappings and appearance of spirituality and depth rather than actual effort.
              I also associate it with homoeopathy. Which really is the nail in the coffin, for me.
              Last edited by Louisvillian; June 12th, 2012, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X