New Age is just a Label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Age is just a Label

A lot of people get turned off by the term "new age". That's too bad, because once we called it Hermeticism, and once we called it Theosophy. Once we called it Sufism, Feri Witchcraft, Wicca, or Chaos magic.

New Age simply means spirituality that doesn't have to be nailed down to some old religion, dogma, creed, or rule. It means drawing from any religion, culture, or idea, and putting it together to create your own spiritual path. It means finding the Sacred wherever and however you find works for you, every day of your life, or maybe just the one day you need to pray to god to get through the day.

It means not living by anyone's rules of how often to pray, or adhering to any religion that tells you where and when its ok to talk to god.

It means drawing on popular culture, economics, marketing, media, art, poetry, music, sports, games, ancient mythology, psychology, neurochemistry, physics, and life as you live it every day.

It means making a spirituality of your own that works for you this moment, here and now, and then making it work again tomorrow. It means feeling sacred when you get 30 seconds in the bathroom without your kids talking to you about Dora. It means finding god when you smell that scent you love so desperately. It means finding god in the sky or the sound of your heartbeat as you sink into the bathtub at the end of a long day. Its the magazine you flip through during your lunch break, that soundbyte Oprah said as you flipped through the channels before bed, the inspiration you get.

It means Inspiration. Anywhere. Anytime.

God. Hope. Faith. Love. Even when life is hell and you hate your job and you are afraid you won't be able to buy food next week. It's that moment you get to breathe in and out, close your eyes, and listen to nothing at all.

If you're into New Age beliefs, welcome to this forum. Welcome to Mystic Wicks. Welcome to spirituality, god, life. Welcome to those moments when you find the sacred even in the trash heap or the worst day of your life, and those moments when you pass the smile on and help others see the sacred too.
    Last edited by RainInanna; January 2nd, 2009, 05:52 AM.
    Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

you are very good at expressing yourself....it is alway nice to read what you have posted...

I am New Age....if we call it that....I personally like Source.ress...in the process of getting closer to Source...for me meaning God

When I was in HORRIBLE pain for 5 yrs....I had my ups and downs... more down than up....yet it was always God that helped me see the small things that bring joy....I can not even imagine getting through those years without God...
    Enter Her World
    ~Jaqueline Frost touches the flowers~

sigpic

Comment

I think that the term "New Age" was developed as a marketing concept back in the 1980's as a way of putting a more positive-sounding label on various forms of occultism. For the majority of the public, the term "occult" holds negative connotations, so in order to better sell things like books, tarot cards, etc., companies marketing such items latched onto the term "New Age" to give them a more positive sound and thus make them more marketable. It sounds a lot like the "Age of Aquarius" and suggests that it is something fresh, new, trendy and represents an advancement in spirituality, as opposed to something old, outdated, and archaic. Of course, there really isn't anything new about Astrology, Palmistry, Dream interpretation, magic, or mediumship, but by calling these things "New Age" suggests that they aren't Medeival or Gothic, when might turn a lot of people in mainstream society off.

Comment

Also I have to recommend Christopher Penczak's book again - Ascension Magick - it is towards Theosophy - old style Christianity, Judaism, etc. and focuses on angels and fairies as well as other life forms, and finding the Sacred in myriad ways, and he begins the book by mentioning how New Age means "home" to him.

The Sacred has ALWAYS meant home to me. Every day I am reminded again why.
        Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Comment

Originally posted by Woodwose View Post
          I think that the term "New Age" was developed as a marketing concept back in the 1980's as a way of putting a more positive-sounding label on various forms of occultism. For the majority of the public, the term "occult" holds negative connotations, so in order to better sell things like books, tarot cards, etc., companies marketing such items latched onto the term "New Age" to give them a more positive sound and thus make them more marketable.
          Yeah. Diff'rnt strokes for diff'rnt folks right Doesn't matter what ya call it, as long as you know it when you find it.
          Here everybody has a neighbor
          Everybody has a friend
          Everybody has a reason to begin again

Comment

What is the difference between "new age" and "eclectic pagan"?

Comment

what is an eclectic pagen? and then I will tell you the difference between the two....:boing:
              Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FairieSpirit View Post
                what is an eclectic pagen? and then I will tell you the difference between the two....:boing:
                an eclectic pagan is someone who takes information and traditions from various sources (cultures) to create the path on which he/she travels.

Comment

I guess their is not much difference...except maybe "new agers" have a tendancy towards ascention....and I am quite sure "God"
                  Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FairieSpirit View Post
                    I guess their is not much difference...except maybe "new agers" have a tendancy towards ascention....and I am quite sure "God"
                    so...new age is also christian?

Comment

well I beleive in Jesus...he is my personal Mentor....I beleive in God... I beleive that much was left out of the bible and that the organized religions did not show people how to have their own relationship with God... it is like they put themselves inbetween the person and God... so am I Christian...or did I take from Christianity what works for me
                      Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

i'm just wondering if being christian is needed to be new age. see, it just seems to me that new age and eclectic pagan are the same thing. but, you said that bit about ascension and god and that made me wonder if i have it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by octoberskys View Post
                          so...new age is also christian?
                          Originally posted by octoberskys View Post
                          i'm just wondering if being christian is needed to be new age. see, it just seems to me that new age and eclectic pagan are the same thing. but, you said that bit about ascension and god and that made me wonder if i have it wrong.
                          No, you don't need to be Christian to be "New Age."

In fact most mainline, conservative and orthodox Christian sects teach New Age is comparable to Satanism, Paganism and all those "evils" (in their view) that lead one astray. They even call it a cult. You can find countless sites that speak of it in such a way.

Liberal Christianity and those that gain wisdom from the faith (on whatever path, Pagan or not), would maybe be more open to New Age, but it's not a necessity or prerequisite to be a Christian or even have Christian beliefs. I've seen New Age sites that mention angels, saints, and even Jesus, but they're viewed in a different manner than Christianity. Also, usually, the New Age view of God is different than that of Christianity, but that doesn't mean there aren't similarities.

Also, Paganism and New Age are different in many ways, but they do share some of the same things, sure. Calling yourself a Pagan will give a different impression than calling yourself a New Ager.
                          Last edited by Agaliha; January 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM.

Comment

New Agers were originally those that were inspired by an astrologic calculation that claims we are in a "new" age of Aquarius which began in 1844 and is projected to last until about 3194.

The New Age Movement first appeared as an entity in the 1960s and 1970s, although elements can be traced back to the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It gained momentum in the 1980s and strengthened with the Harmonic Convergence event of 1987. New Age practices and philosophies are found among many diverse individuals from around the World.

The New Age Movement includes elements of older spiritual and religious traditions ranging from atheism and monotheism through classical pantheism, naturalistic pantheism, and panentheism to polytheism combined with science and Gaia philosophy: particularly archaeoastronomy, astronomy, ecology, environmentalism, the Gaia hypothesis, psychology, and physics. New Age practices and philosophies sometimes draw inspiration from major world religions: Buddhism, Chinese folk religion, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, and Sufism; with particularly strong influences from East Asian religions, Gnosticism, Neopaganism, New Thought, Spiritualism, Theosophy, Universalism, and Western esotericism.

Ages are believed by some astrologers to affect mankind while other astrologers believe the ages correlate to the rise and fall of mighty civilizations and cultural tendencies.

Aquarius traditionally "rules" electricity, computers, flight, democracy, freedom, humanitarianism, idealists, modernization, rebels and rebellion, mental diseases, nervous disorders, and astrology. Other keywords and ideas believed associated with Aquarius are nonconformity, philanthropy, veracity, perseverence, mankind and irresolution.

The appearance or elevation in status of many of these Aquarian developments over the last few centuries is considered by many astrologers to indicate the proximity of the Aquarian age. There is no uniform agreement about the relationship of these recent Aquarian developments and the Age of Aquarius.

Some astrologers believe that the influence of a new age is experienced before it arrives due to a cuspal effect or Orb of Influence. Other astrologers believe the appearance of Aquarian developments indicate the actual arrival of the Age of Aquarius.

(paraphrased from various sources)
                            Brought to you by the
                            National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
                            Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
                            Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
                            You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
                            It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
                            I am aware of how nasty I come across.
                            If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
                            I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

Comment

Originally posted by No More Apologies View Post
                              Yeah. Diff'rnt strokes for diff'rnt folks right Doesn't matter what ya call it, as long as you know it when you find it.

Yes, exactly! I hate the term New Age as I said before, it's so pre-packaged and smacks of consumerism to me.

One can call it whatever you want, but I'd rather stick to a mundane manufractured term personally.
                              Winter Rouses All My Grief

Comment

Working...
                              X