No announcement yet.

New Age is just a Label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too dislike the name "new age"....I preferr source.ress, on my journey towards source/knowledge/experience
    Enter Her World
    ~Jaqueline Frost touches the flowers~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by octoberskys View Post
      i'm just wondering if being christian is needed to be new age. see, it just seems to me that new age and eclectic pagan are the same thing. but, you said that bit about ascension and god and that made me wonder if i have it wrong.
      I am not sure what electic pagan is....or all those other names that Agaliha lists.....I really do not know any one path wholely.... I am not interested in history/etc... I know what works for me and I feel that God leads me where I need to be in the moment....and I just keep learning as I go along and practice..I have very different views....I do not believe in the devil or evil spirits...I would never ever try get revenge on anyone for any reason...stuff like that...that is just my path
      Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FairieSpirit View Post
        I too dislike the name "new age"....I preferr source.ress, on my journey towards source/knowledge/experience
        Interesting
        Though, some may misread it as sorceress since they're nearly identical.

Comment

I am going to look up sorceress..
          Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FairieSpirit View Post
            I am going to look up sorceress..
            It's linked to:

Sorcery:
            –noun, plural -cer⋅ies. the art, practices, or spells of a person who is supposed to exercise supernatural powers through the aid of evil spirits; black magic; witchery. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sorcery

Sorceress would be a female practitioner of the above.

I mostly see it in RGP games...sort of like wizard, mage, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RainInanna View Post
              A lot of people get turned off by the term "new age". That's too bad, because once we called it Hermeticism, and once we called it Theosophy. Once we called it Sufism, Feri Witchcraft, Wicca, or Chaos magic.
              While I can appreciate the similarities that exist between these different paths, I cannot agree that they are synonyms for "New Age." I regard Theosophy as being a distinct system of mystical beliefs codified by Helena Blavatsky, in much the same way that Thelema is a distinct system of mystical beliefs codified by Aleister Crowley. Both are quite distinct from classical hermeticism, as well as from Feri Witchcraft, Wicca, and Chaos magic. I can be called a Typhonian hermeticist, but my path is in no way shape or form synonymous with these other paths. It is not even synonymous with the rest of hermeticism.

The difference between "New Age" and these other terms, IMO, is that "New Age" does not actually refer to a distinct system or path, but more to an attitude one can have toward such paths, an attitude which is usually eclectic and light side-oriented.

New Age simply means spirituality that doesn't have to be nailed down to some old religion, dogma, creed, or rule. It means drawing from any religion, culture, or idea, and putting it together to create your own spiritual path. It means finding the Sacred wherever and however you find works for you, every day of your life, or maybe just the one day you need to pray to god to get through the day.
              This is what I mean by "eclectic." (Which is not a criticism; people in my field tend to be eclectic as well.)

Originally posted by Woodwose View Post
              I think that the term "New Age" was developed as a marketing concept back in the 1980's as a way of putting a more positive-sounding label on various forms of occultism. For the majority of the public, the term "occult" holds negative connotations, so in order to better sell things like books, tarot cards, etc., companies marketing such items latched onto the term "New Age" to give them a more positive sound and thus make them more marketable.
              Although this may not be entirely true across the board, I do agree that it is probably true in many cases. However, another reason "New Age" may be used instead of "Occult" is that many of the "occult" products that are sold do not qualify as "occult." (In order for something to be "occult" it must be kept secret and esoteric, something that only an initiated few may know about; as in the Eleusian mysteries, etc.) Many of the books that are sold, for instance, tend to present occult ideas in a way that is exoterically accessible to the average person. IMO, this means that in many cases, the term "New Age" is probably used more out of intellectual honesty than just out of a desire to make it more marketable.

It sounds a lot like the "Age of Aquarius" and suggests that it is something fresh, new, trendy and represents an advancement in spirituality, as opposed to something old, outdated, and archaic. Of course, there really isn't anything new about Astrology, Palmistry, Dream interpretation, magic, or mediumship, but by calling these things "New Age" suggests that they aren't Medeival or Gothic, when might turn a lot of people in mainstream society off.
              Personally I would rather be called Gothic than "New Age," but that's just me. There is a market for "Gothic" things as well. I don't really see what I do as being limited to any particular age, new or ancient.
              Last edited by Darth Brooks; January 22nd, 2009, 06:18 PM.
              My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

Comment

Originally posted by Agaliha View Post
                It's linked to:

Sorcery:
                –noun, plural -cer⋅ies. the art, practices, or spells of a person who is supposed to exercise supernatural powers through the aid of evil spirits; black magic; witchery. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sorcery

Sorceress would be a female practitioner of the above.

I mostly see it in RGP games...sort of like wizard, mage, etc.

darn darn darn...nothing peersonal to anyone but I do not want to be linked with above definition and I am sure most people would think of that first......awk thanks for bringing that up
                Enter Her World

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Brooks View Post
                  While I can appreciate the similarities that exist between these different paths, I cannot agree that they are synonyms for "New Age." I regard Theosophy as being a distinct system of mystical beliefs codified by Helena Blavatsky, in much the same way that Thelema is a distinct system of mystical beliefs codified by Aleister Crowley. Both are quite distinct from classical hermeticism, as well as from Feri Witchcraft, Wicca, and Chaos magic. I can be called a Typhonian hermeticist, but my path is in no way shape or form synonymous with these other paths. It is not even synonymous with the rest of hermeticism.

The difference between "New Age" and these other terms, IMO, is that "New Age" does not actually refer to a distinct system or path, but more to an attitude one can have toward such paths, an attitude which is usually eclectic and light side-oriented.
                  I like how you put this

Personally I would rather be called Gothic than "New Age," but that's just me. There is a market for "Gothic" things as well. I don't really see what I do as being limited to any particular age, new or ancient.
                  Sure, YMMV and all that. I'm not into the gothic subculture anymore, used to be once upon a time, but not my bag these days.
                  Here everybody has a neighbor
                  Everybody has a friend
                  Everybody has a reason to begin again

Comment

it seems to me that "new age" and "eclectic pagan" are the same thing. that's not a *bad* thing. i'm just making a statement.

Comment

Working...
                    X