Fluffy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluffy?

I have recently been reading and trying to learn more about the New Age, and since reading a lot of comments and such, it seems a lot of people look down on it. And feel it is fluffy or silly...

But why? In my opinion if someone feels a pull to lots of different religions then why shouldn't they be able to pull them together and create their own. All religions have to start somewhere, right...? :hahugh:

Lately I feel as if New Age might be more appropriate for me in the sense that I don't just lean to Wicca and Witchcraft, but a few other religions and lifestyles aswell. And sometimes I wish I could just bundle it all with my craft...but would I still be considered a witch?

I know that no one really NEEDS a label, but I am curious.

"We are only asked to love, to offer hope to the many hopeless. We don't get to choose all the endings, but we are asked to play the rescuers. We won't solve all mysteries and our hearts will certainly break in such a vulnerable life, but it is the best way. We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home." ~
    TWLOHA

Facebook

there is nothing wrong with pulling from various paths in order to create your own, as long as you are honest about it.

the best label is probably eclectic pagan. nuttin' wrong with that at all.

i think a problem starts when someone who knows very little acts like he/she knows very much and starts throwing around information (as well as labels) that is not accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by *oonagh* View Post
      there is nothing wrong with pulling from various paths in order to create your own, as long as you are honest about it.

i think a problem starts when someone who knows very little acts like he/she knows very much and starts throwing around information (as well as labels) that is not accurate.
      Ahh I see. So from my understanding it is nothing to do with the New Age but when people pick bits from different religions without learning enough about the whole religion?

"We are only asked to love, to offer hope to the many hopeless. We don't get to choose all the endings, but we are asked to play the rescuers. We won't solve all mysteries and our hearts will certainly break in such a vulnerable life, but it is the best way. We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home." ~
      TWLOHA

Facebook

Comment

I think that is the main accusation tied to the word fluffy.
        More then being the sort of person who lies around on the grass at a ringfort with flowers in their hair 'fluffy' is generally levelled at the sort of person who lies around on the grass with flowers in their hair and argues dogmatically about things they believe are true without putting in any significant effort into finding out if they are true or not. They make life unpleasant for everyone.

Ecclecticism is a natural progression in people who follow a 'path' to a conclusion and earn what that path has to offer. All of the Wiccans who had first hand training from Sanders and Gardiner that Ive come into contact with have taken what theyve learned and moved further. Some are Fairy Doctors in the manx style, some are hedge witches in the irish style, some are west country witches in the english style but they wouldnt have been able to meet the goals or even know what they goals should be if they hadnt gone through the three degrees first.

Some forms of paganism will mix easily without contradiction if you get a chance I recommend the Triumph of the moon by ronnald hutton its common enough in second hand book shops and it explains the common roots of modern neo paganism and why some forms of paganism are so similar.

Id say ecclecticism is a bad idea at the beginning though because there are 1000s of forms of paganism and they dont all gell together. It takes three years of focussed study just to grasp the basics of strictly codified forms of paganism like Wicca, Druidry or O.T.O. so following one 'path' is a good idea just to have a guide to work from if the goal of ecleccticism is to create and promote a working version of a religion.

Comment

Originally posted by *oonagh* View Post

This mixed with a person who will only acknowledge the lighter side of things is my idea of a fluffy bunny.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not knowing something though. I always feel like the more I learn the less I know. I think it's because I become more aware of the huge possibilities.

I don't think anyone can put a time limit on how long it takes to learn anything. People are way too individual in terms of their paths for that. I also think it can be an unfair limitation. Paths are part of our lifelong journeys. They are as individual as us, don't let other people put restraints on your personal journey.

Eclectic is fine although I would say that there should be specific reasons for choosing the individual elements of an eclectic path. I generally find that going with my instinct is good enough. I've been told that my path is 'wrong' (can you believe that?) because I am dedicated to 2 gods and because I am following both of their paths simultaneously but you know what? It works for me! I would say that you shouldn't follow every part of a certain way just because you like one part of it. It's very important to do what you want to do and to learn to know yourself. We all choose our little ways for good reasons, it just might be that we don't know what those reasons are yet. That's what intuition is for.

Best wishes to you on your journey.

nesta

No man is so good as to be free of evil, nor so bad as to be worth nothing.
          Norse Proverb

The coward believes he will live forever, if he holds back in the battle, but in old age he shall have no peace.
          Norse Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by TheLittleWitchy View Post
            Ahh I see. So from my understanding it is nothing to do with the New Age but when people pick bits from different religions without learning enough about the whole religion?
            well, we are all learning all the time. maybe, just know enough to know what you don't know.
            and, yeah, while seeing the light side of things is great, one must be real.

don't worry about the term "new age" and don't worry about what others think. just be respectful and keep on going .

Comment

Thanks everyone.:boing: I know that it takes a long time to learn so much about one religion. I had been studying Wicca for about 5 years. And even now I still feel like I don't know a lot about it. I do feel very ecclectic. And problems do seem to creep up when you label yourself something. There is always someone who will claim you aren't a real Wiccan, Witch, Pagan, Christian etc.

I guess I should just go with the flow, and see what happens.

TWLOHA

Facebook

Comment

I have recently been reading and trying to learn more about the New Age, and since reading a lot of comments and such, it seems a lot of people look down on it. And feel it is fluffy or silly...
                I don't "look down" on New Age beliefs, but they are not quite dark enough for a person like myself.

But why? In my opinion if someone feels a pull to lots of different religions then why shouldn't they be able to pull them together and create their own. All religions have to start somewhere, right...? :hahugh:
                Yup, and there is absolutely nothing and no one in the world that can stop you from pulling together whatever you want from various different religions. As the others have said, however, it pays for an eclectic to be respectful about their eclecticism and to actually study the things from which they draw in significant depth. However, I sometimes feel that eclecticism gets more than its fair share of criticism, when it's clear to me that traditionalism and fundamentalism have their own negative sides as well.

Lately I feel as if New Age might be more appropriate for me in the sense that I don't just lean to Wicca and Witchcraft, but a few other religions and lifestyles aswell. And sometimes I wish I could just bundle it all with my craft...but would I still be considered a witch?
                I don't see why you couldn't be a New Age witch, if you wanted to.

I know that no one really NEEDS a label, but I am curious.
                Labels are important; they are useful in communicating ideas and helping us to identify and understand one another. Labels only become detrimental when we place more emphasis on them than on the things those labels are meant to describe. Even if a person goes through changes and feels a need to use different labels for themselves over a period of time, those labels can still be important. (When ice melts, we call it water, not ice.) So yes, we do need labels, we just need to be careful not to enslave ourselves to them.

Thanks everyone.:boing: I know that it takes a long time to learn so much about one religion. I had been studying Wicca for about 5 years. And even now I still feel like I don't know a lot about it. I do feel very ecclectic. And problems do seem to creep up when you label yourself something. There is always someone who will claim you aren't a real Wiccan, Witch, Pagan, Christian etc.
                Well obviously it would be ridiculous to practice Kemetic Orthodoxy and call oneself a Celtic Reconstructionist. But the definitions for various labels are really a lot more loose than many would expect. What is a "REAL" Wiccan, a "REAL" witch, a "REAL" pagan, or a "REAL" Christian? People have fought over what's a "REAL" this or a "REAL" that for centuries, millennia in fact. That's why more specific labels have been brought into use over timre - e.g., Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Lutherans, Calvinists, Anabaptists, Quakers, etc. The problems don't arise just because we label ourselves, but because we are often not precise enough in labeling ourselves.
                My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

Comment

Working...
                X