Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider Neo-Druidism a new age religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It honestly depends on the person who is claiming the label of NeoDruid.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

Given the intial question: Do you consider Neo-Druidism a new age religion? I'd have to say yes from a historical slant. Druidism pertains to a social class found within the Celtic society as a whole. Yet the relgious facets of it were not druidic but whatever the social belief was called and known as. Druids were the judges and lawgivers of the society as well as religious figures.

To me it is not much different than saying one was of the Pretorian Guard which is a historical position within the military society then trying to say but we've changed it to be a religion. Thereby creating what might be called Pretorianism. A creation based upon a name and giving it a whole new set of defining criteria that never existed in its initial form or purpose.

If it floats thier boat so much the better for them and their spiritual practices but to me its still not a religion or spiritual belief based upon some ancient format and concept. It's at best a new agey approach to how people would like to redesign historical information and make things something they were not. In that facet its not even recon in nature nor really Celtic though it may hold facets of both.
      Last edited by monsnoleedra; May 24th, 2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
        Given the intial question: Do you consider Neo-Druidism a new age religion? I'd have to say yes from a historical slant. Druidism pertains to a social class found within the Celtic society as a whole. Yet the relgious facets of it were not druidic but whatever the social belief was called and known as. Druids were the judges and lawgivers of the society as well as religious figures.

To me it is not much different than saying one was of the Pretorian Guard which is a historical position within the military society then trying to say but we've changed it to be a religion. Thereby creating what might be called Pretorianism. A creation based upon a name and giving it a whole new set of defining criteria that never existed in its initial form or purpose.

If it floats thier boat so much the better for them and their spiritual practices but to me its still not a religion or spiritual belief based upon some ancient format and concept. It's at best a new agey approach to how people would like to redesign historical information and make things something they were not. In that facet its not even recon in nature nor really Celtic though it may hold facets of both.

A very honest answer, and one that I wanted to say but lacked the cojones to say, myself.
        "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
        instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
        which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

Working...
        X