This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ravenscape View Post
    It would be interesting and fun if we could choose a book to read together, and maybe post our thoughts each time we finish a couple of chapters. Would anyone else be interested? And does anyone have suggestions of books to read?
    Ravenscape, this is a great idea. And, hey, if I knew something like this was coming up, maybe I'd actually get off my tuchus and finish my AC Circuitry book!
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

I'm not neccessarily suggesting this for a "read together" book, but just as one that has inspired my life..Loren Isely's "Immense Journey".

It is a collection of essays.

I have been not doing much reading the past 18 months. So...I am open to suggestions, but not making any promises.

cheddar
      In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

I'm so glad there's interest in this! I feel connected to the group we've formed here, and wish we were more active as a group and could *do more* together. I thought maybe this would be a way.

I've been thinking seriously about ordering Glennis Livingstone's Pagaean Cosmology ever since she popped in at the atheist/secularist board where I moderate. She posted a link to this article at the time. I found the article intriguing.

But, I'd be up for together-reading most anything!
        Last edited by ravenscape; April 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM.

I'm out of my mind, please leave a message...

Comment

Ravenscape, I feel the same way and agree that this is a good start to getting our group doing more together. It sometimes seems (to me anyway) that we're all so new to realizing where we fit in the grand scheme of things that we just need to get our bearings. But I think reading together would be a good start.

Your book sounds like a good suggestion, as does Cheddar's. Maybe we could start with those and see where it takes us?

Other thoughts?

Peace
          Working for Peace Pruning the Rambles

:hahugh: Banner made by me :hahugh:
          Definition of skepticism: Don't believe everything you think.

In wildness is the preservation of the world ~Henry David Thoreau

Pantheism Path Forum Guide

In memoriam, Basha: 4/1996 - 12/2007 * * * In memoriam, Tika: 9/1996 - 3/2008

Comment

If I can find these two books in a local bookstore this weekend, I'll buy them. If not, I'll place an Amazon order. I hope I'll be ready to start reading next week sometime.

Comment

This is a great idea!

So, the first readings are Pagaian Cosmology and Immense Journey?

Comment

Originally posted by Birdy View Post
                This is a great idea!

So, the first readings are Pagaian Cosmology and Immense Journey?
                I'm not sure it's final yet. I want to read both of these books anyway, so I figure I'll line them up in the queue this weekend.

It may take another day or so for folks to chime in with yea, nay, or "how 'bout something else".

Comment

Originally posted by ravenscape View Post
                  I'm not sure it's final yet. I want to read both of these books anyway, so I figure I'll line them up in the queue this weekend.

It may take another day or so for folks to chime in with yea, nay, or "how 'bout something else".
                  Alas, I have to sit out this round. I'm getting ready to move at the end of May, plus the end of my school semester is fast encroaching...I barely have time to read my mail, let alone a book. But I will be watching the discussion with great interest.

Comment

Heh. I'm nuts for trying to start another book right now. We're poised on the precipice of a kitchen remodel -- starting over from the bare walls. I'm guessing it will probably start in about 2 weeks.

And besides, I've got 5 books started at the moment, and am making slow progress with them.

If this is a bad time for others, maybe we could delay for a few weeks and see how things look.

Comment

Exactly what kind of book are you looking for? Glenys' book is good, and is an in depth look at Pagaian Cosmology, with a lot of academic/researched support. However, I'm not sure that's what you are looking for.

I've pasted below a list of some books that I recently put together. You may look at that. For starters, I'd recommend Aurelius' Meditations - it's short, and very good. Wright's "non-zero" gives a good view of the long term vision of life on earth, nicely providing purpose to our universe and spirituality, which is so often called "purposeless". Wrights "the moral animal" is a must read book for understanding how our minds work. Oh, and Wilson's "evolution in everyday life" sounds good, but I haven't read it yet.

Here's the list, may you enjoy this day as the priceless treasure that it is-

Equinox

Books of Spiritual Significance to Jon on February 18th, 2007

I’ve read these books, or in a few cases, parts of them. Sure, there are a few things in many of them that I don’t agree with, but by and large, they’re great. I’m sure I’ve forgotten some great books – especially those on my list to read next, like David Sloan Wilson’s “Evolution in everyday life”, which isn’t published yet. Also of course, this is just a snapshot – our lists change over time. * = especially recommended

Biology
                      Lives of a Cell by Lewis Thomas
                      Evolution by Carl Zimmer
                      The Ghosts of Evolution by Connie Barlow

A Long Term Worldview
                      *Thank God for Evolution by Michael Dowd This book is written especially for a Christian perspective. However, I highly recommend it whether you are Christian or not.
                      *Non-Zero by Robert Wright
                      Evolution’s Arrow by John Stewart

Freethought:
                      Cec’s Credo
                      *Bible Stories Your Parents Never Taught You by Michael Scott Earle (available at www.reasonworks.com)
                      How we Believe by Michael Shermer
                      The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine
                      Science and Unreason by Radner & Radner

The Bible/Christianity
                      Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium by Dr. Erhman (& other scholarly work on the historical Jesus)
                      *Audiocourses from www.teach12.com by Dr. Erhman about the history of Christianity, Competing early forms of Christianity, the making of the Bible, the historical Jesus, etc. There are also plenty of other sources of information on the Historical Jesus – all sources should be compared critically since they disagree.

Evolutionary Psychology
                      *The Moral Animal by Robert Wright
                      The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker

Pagan/Earth/Universe-Centered Spirituality
                      *In Nature’s Honor by Patricia Montley
                      Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
                      *Cosmos TV series by on DVD (by Carl Sagan)
                      The Sacred Depths of Nature by Ursula Goodenough
                      *Kyle’s Credo
                      Neolithic Europe by Dr. Adams, Audiocourse from www.teach12.com

For kids (these aren’t necessarily profound, just great for kids)
                      The Universe Story books by Jennifer Morgan:
                      • Born with a Bang
                      • *From Lava to Life
                      • Mammals that Morph
                      *Our Family Tree by Lisa Westburg Peters
                      Evo - boardgame
                      Pocahontas, Brother Bear – Disney DVDs
                      -Equinox

I like my spirituality because I think it's true. But I love my spirituality because it makes me excited to be part of the universe. - Ben Trimegistus, 2004.2.23 (That's how I feel too!)

(webpage temporarily down) my webpage:

In short, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan spiritually at home in Unitarian Universalism.

Talk with us! New Naturalistic Pagan Yahoo Group

Equinox/Solstice Times . . rise/set and phase dataDaily Devotion for Naturalistic Pagans (Click Here.......... or Here) :fpraiseyo

P. S. thanks so much for all the people who have given me karma. With a very slow connection, I simply don't have time to give out nearly as much as I'd like.

Comment

Personally, I'm more in the mood to read a book that is not specifically about pantheism, spirituality, etc...and discuss how our own beliefs, spirituality respond to it.

I don't want to be led through someone else's path/journey.

That's where I am these days.

I'm more into discovering where I am, than hearing about where someone else is.

If one more person recommends some atheist's take on God to me...I'll scream!

sorry, I'm fragile at the moment

cheddar
                        In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

Originally posted by cheddarsox View Post
                          Personally, I'm more in the mood to read a book that is not specifically about pantheism, spirituality, etc...and discuss how our own beliefs, spirituality respond to it.

I don't want to be led through someone else's path/journey.

That's where I am these days.

I'm more into discovering where I am, than hearing about where someone else is.

If one more person recommends some atheist's take on God to me...I'll scream!

sorry, I'm fragile at the moment

cheddar

I think that's certainly something to consider.

Honestly, I'm so wrapped up in Sound of Music rehearsals right now (and Terry Pratchett for release), I don't really have time to read anything yet.

Maybe we should all take some time and think about books that might lend themselves to this group. Then we can reconnect in a couple of weeks and see what folks have come up with.

How does that sound?

I do have to agree about the whole atheist thing. We're barely a fine line away, but still on this side of deity/spirituality/relationship... we walk that fine line, don't we?

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Eleisawolf View Post

Honestly, I'm so wrapped up in Sound of Music rehearsals right now (and Terry Pratchett for release), I don't really have time to read anything yet.
                            I can relate to that! I'm in South Pacific rehearsals. My whole body hurts from learning choreography and I'm the costume designer, so that adds a whole other level of no time to read.
                            sigpic

Comment

Peggyelizabeth,

Exactly!

You're the fourth person on the Pantheism board who is artistically inclined, and the third I know of who is performance inclined... I wonder how many more of us are...

Theater definitely makes it harder to have time to read... heh.

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by cheddarsox View Post
                                How far afield are we talking here? Are you talking about something like (just as an example, honest - definitely not what I'd want to read as a group!) Silent Spring, which isn't technically pantheist but has a similar world-view? Or do you mean a book that has nothing to do with pantheism - Stephen King? Jane Austen? Tom Robbins? and see what connections and conclusions our mysterious brains can come up with?

Comment

Working...
                                X