X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birdy
    replied
    This is a great idea!

So, the first readings are Pagaian Cosmology and Immense Journey?

Leave a comment:

• ravenscape
    replied
    If I can find these two books in a local bookstore this weekend, I'll buy them. If not, I'll place an Amazon order. I hope I'll be ready to start reading next week sometime.

Leave a comment:

• Eleisawolf
    replied
    Ravenscape, I feel the same way and agree that this is a good start to getting our group doing more together. It sometimes seems (to me anyway) that we're all so new to realizing where we fit in the grand scheme of things that we just need to get our bearings. But I think reading together would be a good start.

Your book sounds like a good suggestion, as does Cheddar's. Maybe we could start with those and see where it takes us?

Other thoughts?

Peace

Leave a comment:

• ravenscape
    replied
    I'm so glad there's interest in this! I feel connected to the group we've formed here, and wish we were more active as a group and could *do more* together. I thought maybe this would be a way.

I've been thinking seriously about ordering Glennis Livingstone's Pagaean Cosmology ever since she popped in at the atheist/secularist board where I moderate. She posted a link to this article at the time. I found the article intriguing.

But, I'd be up for together-reading most anything!
    Last edited by ravenscape; April 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cheddarsox
    replied
    I'm not neccessarily suggesting this for a "read together" book, but just as one that has inspired my life..Loren Isely's "Immense Journey".

It is a collection of essays.

I have been not doing much reading the past 18 months. So...I am open to suggestions, but not making any promises.

cheddar

Leave a comment:

• Windsmith
    replied
    Originally posted by ravenscape View Post
    It would be interesting and fun if we could choose a book to read together, and maybe post our thoughts each time we finish a couple of chapters. Would anyone else be interested? And does anyone have suggestions of books to read?
    Ravenscape, this is a great idea. And, hey, if I knew something like this was coming up, maybe I'd actually get off my tuchus and finish my AC Circuitry book!

Leave a comment:

• Eleisawolf
    replied
    Ravenscape, I think that would be a fabulous idea!! It would help me feel more connected by doing something grounding... everything I'm involved with lately seems to be pulling me out all over the place (which is good for me, right now--I was so internal all autumn/winter) and having a center would be wonderful!

I might have some book ideas--let me look around at some of the things I've been hoping to read.

I think it would be okay if we read some books together that some people have already read...

Any suggestions? I would love this...

Peace

Leave a comment:

• ravenscape
    replied
    It would be interesting and fun if we could choose a book to read together, and maybe post our thoughts each time we finish a couple of chapters. Would anyone else be interested? And does anyone have suggestions of books to read?

Leave a comment:

• Windsmith
    replied
    I just finished Alison Hawthorne Deming's Writing the Sacred into the Real. It might be difficult to find outside of Minnesota, since it's published by a small, non-profit press based in Minneapolis, but if you can get a hold of a copy, it's a fantastic short read. She doesn't call herself a pantheist, but her description of her spirituality reads very similarly to what a lot of us talk about here.

The book is comprised of 4 essays about 4 places that have meant a lot to Deming and helped form her views of the world. It's amazingly minutely detailed and very "meta" - she writes a lot about the process of writing. Especially good, then, for those of us who find our homes in art as well as pantheism.

Leave a comment:

• Eleisawolf
    replied
    Actually, I love both of them. They helped me to understand my feeling of connectedness. Reading their words helped me recognize what I was seeing in the world and why I wanted to be in love with it.

Then I went to Walden Pond and I understood even more.

Peace

Leave a comment:

• Philosophia
    replied
    Is Ralph Waldo Emerson or Henry David Thoreau good sources?

Leave a comment:

• Birdy
    replied
    Oh, probably, but I don't think that would stop many. Those kind of books are a good source of inspiration for creating one's own material. I think the basic spirit of earth centered paths is the same.

Leave a comment:

• RainInanna
    replied
    No problem, maybe it'll remind me to read it as well (sheesh, too many books, not enough time). I wonder if Starhawk's writings are too supernatural for the average pantheist?

Leave a comment:

• Birdy
    replied
    Originally posted by RainInanna View Post
    What do you think of David Suzuki's writings such as The Sacred Balance, and others he has written on environmentalism? I borrowed that particular one from the library some time ago but didn't get a chance to read it. Or Starhawk's Earth Path?
    Thanks for reminding me of that book! I wanted to read it so much when it came out but then somehow forgot about it. It will go back on my "to read" list now.

I haven't read any Starhawk... (where the hell have I been, I know)

Leave a comment:

• RainInanna
    replied
    What do you think of David Suzuki's writings such as The Sacred Balance, and others he has written on environmentalism? I borrowed that particular one from the library some time ago but didn't get a chance to read it. Or Starhawk's Earth Path?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X