Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pantheist daily practice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pantheist daily practice

    I want to hear about folks' daily (or nearly-daily, if you're an overcommitted slacker like I am!) practice of Pantheism. Rituals, meditations...whatcha got?

    For those who identify as both Pantheist and Pagan, do you think of certain elements as being more one than the other, or has everything integrated smoothly? Where else do you draw inspiration from?

    And, hey, here's a $5 question - why do you do what you do? What do your practices "do" for you?
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

  • #2
    I wear jewelry that calls to mind my panthestic faith, so that I am reminded, randomly throughout the day what I believe. It gives me a little pause, to stop, even if just for a second or two and dwell on how my faith colors my perspective right there in that moment. Those several daily acknowledgements and moments of awareness keep me humble, in awe and in touch.

    I also tend to get online and visit religious forums. Taking part, as a pantheist, helps me understand my faith better. I get excercise in how my faith informs me in different areas of my life, and how it is connected to my thoughts, feelings and behaviors. Plus, it is fun.

    I also pour out libations of feed and water on the ground daily. This reminds me that all my sustenance ultimately comes from the universe, not the grocery store. That nothing is really "mine", and that it all gets used by something. Water and feed poured out are not wasted, they remain part of the cycle. I need to cease to consider all things that are not being used on my behalf, or the behalf of humans, as wasted.

    OK, nuff for now.

    cheddar
    In a love affair with sunshine

    Live this day like an altar to what you believe

    Comment


    • #3
      To answer my own question...

      I'm a sucker for the small ceremonies of daily life. When I was a "normal" Pagan, I tried to shoehorn special rituals into my day. Now I'm better served spiritually by finding the sacred in my existing routines, and adding Pagan ritual elements for "flair."
      • Anchoring/releasing: First thing when I wake up in the morning, I anchor myself in my body and my life. Last thing before I go to sleep at night, I release mself to wander off and have fun dreaming. I'd love to explain in greater detail, but since we moved my brain refuses to use the one I painstakingly perfected over the last few months in the apartment, so I'm in the process of creating a new one.
      • Excercise meditation: While I ride my stationary bike in the morning, I sink my attention down into my body and be aware. It's being with What Is - even when What Is means a sweaty waistband and aching calf muscles.
      • Shower ritual:In addition to the cleansing power of water, I envision the other things I do in the shower - the shampooing, the body washing, etc., as giving me strength, perserverance, or keen insights, or things like that.
      • Song offering:During my commute, I sing "offering songs," little ditties (blues numbers, mostly) of my own composing. I sing to the sun on my way to work. In the darker half of the year, I sing to the moon on my way home, but at this time of year I struggle with that, so I sing something seasonal, or one of my goofy Pantheism songs. It's a focused celebration of those parts of What Is that I feel best connected to.
      • Devotional walk:For my morning break, I take a walk. While I walk, I celebrate the four winds. I know I'll get nothing from them in return, but I adore wind, and honoring them with word and breath feels very good to me.
      • Tea meditation:For my afternoon break, I make a small pot of tea. I sit and watch it brew. I know that sounds criminally boring, but I relish the inner quiet and the opportunity to recenter myself in the midst of my busy work day. Also, my tea set has 2 cups; I fill them both but only drink from one. If someone comes into my cube while I'm drinking, I offer them the other cup. It's a gesture of sacred hospitality and connectedness. If no one wants tea, I pour it out as a libation to the Earth, as a reminder that I don't have to consume everything in my path.
      • Grace:For a long time after giving up Christianity, I gave up saying grace over meals. But I missed that moment of appreciation. So instead of thanking god(s), I thank the plants and animals who became my food, the farmers who raised them, the butchers and bakers who turned them into food, and the truck drivers and grocery-store shelf stockers who brought them to me. I appreciate my food so much more when I remember to do that.

      Dang. That's a big list of little things. They're all small, simple actions that do so much to anchor me in my life and in the Cosmos, and to remind me of the immanent holiness of every thing and every moment that makes up What Is.
      Last edited by Windsmith; December 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM.
      If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
      helps you feel your life protects you,
      cradles you and connects you to everything.
      Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Windsmith View Post
        I'm a sucker for the small ceremonies of daily life. When I was a "normal" Pagan, I tried to shoehorn special rituals into my day. Now I'm better served spiritually by finding the sacred in my existing routines, and adding Pagan ritual elements for "flair."
        • Anchoring/releasing: First thing when I wake up in the morning, I anchor myself in my body and my life. Last thing before I go to sleep at night, I release mself to wander off and have fun dreaming. I'd love to explain in greater detail, but since we moved my brain refuses to use the one I painstakingly perfected over the last few months in the apartment, so I'm in the process of creating a new one.
        • Excercise meditation: While I ride my stationary bike in the morning, I sink my attention down into my body and be aware. It's being with What Is - even when What Is means a sweaty waistband and aching calf muscles.
        • Shower ritual:In addition to the cleansing power of water, I envision the other things I do in the shower - the shampooing, the body washing, etc., as giving me strength, perserverance, or keen insights, or things like that.
        • Song offering:During my commute, I sing "offering songs," little ditties (blues numbers, mostly) of my own composing. I sing to the sun on my way to work. In the darker half of the year, I sing to the moon on my way home, but at this time of year I struggle with that, so I sing something seasonal, or one of my goofy Pantheism songs. It's a focused celebration of those parts of What Is that I feel best connected to.
        • Devotional walk:For my morning break, I take a walk. While I walk, I celebrate the four winds. I know I'll get nothing from them in return, but I adore wind, and honoring them with word and breath feels very good to me.
        • Tea meditation:For my afternoon break, I make a small pot of tea. I sit and watch it brew. I know that sounds criminally boring, but I relish the inner quiet and the opportunity to recenter myself in the midst of my busy work day. Also, my tea set has 2 cups; I fill them both but only drink from one. If someone comes into my cube while I'm drinking, I offer them the other cup. It's a gesture of sacred hospitality and connectedness. If no one wants tea, I pour it out as a libation to the Earth, as a reminder that I don't have to consume everything in my path.
        • Grace:For a long time after giving up Christianity, I gave up saying grace over meals. But I missed that moment of appreciation. So instead of thanking god(s), I thank the plants and animals who became my food, the farmers who raised them, the butchers and bakers who turned them into food, and the truck drivers nad grocery-store shelf stockers who brought them to me. I appreciate my food so much more when I remember to do that.
        Dang. That's a big list of little things. They're all small, simple actions that do so much to anchor me in my life and in the Cosmos, and to remind me of the immanent holiness of every thing and every moment that makes up What Is.
        Wow. Just. Wow. What an awesome day of ritual you've described. This is the third time I've read this post in three days, and I can't begin to describe how beautiful it is to me.

        For several months, I've been dissatisfied with myself for getting out of the habit of ritual and observance, and I've wanted to re-initiate some of the rituals that I used to do more *ahem* religiously.

        But right now, they just don't fit snugly and comfortably into my life for a variety of reasons. The daily milestones have changed and I need to adapt to that and make ritual fit the current rhythms, not try to force the rhythms to the pattern I used to have.

        You've inspired me, Windsmith. It won't be easy, and it won't be quick, but you inspire me with confidence that I can once again bring inner space and outer space into harmony.

        I'm out of my mind, please leave a message...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ravenscape View Post
          Wow. Just. Wow. What an awesome day of ritual you've described. This is the third time I've read this post in three days, and I can't begin to describe how beautiful it is to me.

          For several months, I've been dissatisfied with myself for getting out of the habit of ritual and observance, and I've wanted to re-initiate some of the rituals that I used to do more *ahem* religiously.

          But right now, they just don't fit snugly and comfortably into my life for a variety of reasons. The daily milestones have changed and I need to adapt to that and make ritual fit the current rhythms, not try to force the rhythms to the pattern I used to have.

          You've inspired me, Windsmith. It won't be easy, and it won't be quick, but you inspire me with confidence that I can once again bring inner space and outer space into harmony.
          ravenscape,

          Thank you. I wrote and fired off that post and then thought, Oy, that is long. Is anybody even gonna read it? Thank you for letting me know that it resonates for you.

          I think a good first step is just to be present and aware of the rhythms of your day. Which parts do you really enjoy doing, and may even have already taken on a ritual feeling? Where do you have some time that feels blank (for me, it was my commute)? Are there acts you find yourself rushing through and wish you could take a little more time to savor? Does your day feel balanced to you - and do you feel balanced within it? In no time, you'll find your rhythm.

          You're quite right - the process isn't easy or quick. But I don't view it as difficult, either. Just...patient. And totally worth it.
          If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
          helps you feel your life protects you,
          cradles you and connects you to everything.
          Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cheddarsox View Post
            I wear jewelry that calls to mind my panthestic faith, so that I am reminded, randomly throughout the day what I believe. It gives me a little pause, to stop, even if just for a second or two and dwell on how my faith colors my perspective right there in that moment. Those several daily acknowledgements and moments of awareness keep me humble, in awe and in touch.
            Cheddar, that's lovely. I love the idea of having an anchor like that right on the body in plain view. Usually when I catch sight of myself, I just see freckles. Maybe I could dedicate a few of them to pantheism... ;-)

            I also tend to get online and visit religious forums. Taking part, as a pantheist, helps me understand my faith better. I get excercise in how my faith informs me in different areas of my life, and how it is connected to my thoughts, feelings and behaviors. Plus, it is fun.
            This really gets me thinking. Visiting MW and reading posts on the Ardent Pantheism list are really important parts of my day, and yet I don't consider them part of my daily spiritual practice, and I can't figure out why. Weird.

            I also pour out libations of feed and water on the ground daily. This reminds me that all my sustenance ultimately comes from the universe, not the grocery store. That nothing is really "mine", and that it all gets used by something. Water and feed poured out are not wasted, they remain part of the cycle. I need to cease to consider all things that are not being used on my behalf, or the behalf of humans, as wasted.
            Oooh. This is a fabulous sentiment, and it struck a chord in me. How wonderful that we can both incorporate libations into our practice and each attach a distinct and yet completely compatible meaning to the action. Gosh, I love this religion!
            If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
            helps you feel your life protects you,
            cradles you and connects you to everything.
            Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

            Comment


            • #7
              I only have one small thing.

              I've gotten into the habit of doing a daily Tarot 3-card draw, to see what the cards/universe/whatever has in store for me for the next 24 hours or so. It reminds me that there is something bigger than myself but is still a part of me, and the connectedness of me and that something.
              :cheers:

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Windsmith View Post
                I'm a sucker for the small ceremonies of daily life. When I was a "normal" Pagan, I tried to shoehorn special rituals into my day. Now I'm better served spiritually by finding the sacred in my existing routines, and adding Pagan ritual elements for "flair."
                • Anchoring/releasing: First thing when I wake up in the morning, I anchor myself in my body and my life. Last thing before I go to sleep at night, I release mself to wander off and have fun dreaming. I'd love to explain in greater detail, but since we moved my brain refuses to use the one I painstakingly perfected over the last few months in the apartment, so I'm in the process of creating a new one.
                • Excercise meditation: While I ride my stationary bike in the morning, I sink my attention down into my body and be aware. It's being with What Is - even when What Is means a sweaty waistband and aching calf muscles.
                • Shower ritual:In addition to the cleansing power of water, I envision the other things I do in the shower - the shampooing, the body washing, etc., as giving me strength, perserverance, or keen insights, or things like that.
                • Song offering:During my commute, I sing "offering songs," little ditties (blues numbers, mostly) of my own composing. I sing to the sun on my way to work. In the darker half of the year, I sing to the moon on my way home, but at this time of year I struggle with that, so I sing something seasonal, or one of my goofy Pantheism songs. It's a focused celebration of those parts of What Is that I feel best connected to.
                • Devotional walk:For my morning break, I take a walk. While I walk, I celebrate the four winds. I know I'll get nothing from them in return, but I adore wind, and honoring them with word and breath feels very good to me.
                • Tea meditation:For my afternoon break, I make a small pot of tea. I sit and watch it brew. I know that sounds criminally boring, but I relish the inner quiet and the opportunity to recenter myself in the midst of my busy work day. Also, my tea set has 2 cups; I fill them both but only drink from one. If someone comes into my cube while I'm drinking, I offer them the other cup. It's a gesture of sacred hospitality and connectedness. If no one wants tea, I pour it out as a libation to the Earth, as a reminder that I don't have to consume everything in my path.
                • Grace:For a long time after giving up Christianity, I gave up saying grace over meals. But I missed that moment of appreciation. So instead of thanking god(s), I thank the plants and animals who became my food, the farmers who raised them, the butchers and bakers who turned them into food, and the truck drivers nad grocery-store shelf stockers who brought them to me. I appreciate my food so much more when I remember to do that.

                Dang. That's a big list of little things. They're all small, simple actions that do so much to anchor me in my life and in the Cosmos, and to remind me of the immanent holiness of every thing and every moment that makes up What Is.

                Your post is very inspiring. Simple things in a routined life can just keep us in touch with our divine self... Hope you don't mind I "steal" some of your ideas hehe...



                My personal daily routine lacks discipline, and sometimes I almost "forget" about apreciating what life has to offer. But mostly I let my mind fly everytime I walk outside - in the park, in the noisy streets, in the quiet neighbourhoods - everytime I have to go from a point A to a point B, I use my walking as a form of active meditation, trying to observe the little things that are really important. Things that mostly in our stressed lives we seem to forget or not pay attention.

                Also I try to relax my mind when I take a bath. These days I'm trying to atune myself with the water element... don't know why. Just something that was sugested in dreams...

                Anyway, at night, I try to let the window open and lay myself in the bed just looking at the sky and the trees. It helps me getting relaxed.


                And that's it ^^
                Last edited by Silverfangs; June 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM.
                «The myth is the Nothing which is everything» - Fernando Pessoa

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Glory View Post
                  I've gotten into the habit of doing a daily Tarot 3-card draw, to see what the cards/universe/whatever has in store for me for the next 24 hours or so. It reminds me that there is something bigger than myself but is still a part of me, and the connectedness of me and that something.
                  Glory, this is great. We just moved; our physical existence is a swirl of chaos just now. But you remind me that I've been itching to hunt down my Tarot deck and start doing some readings again.

                  Originally posted by Silverfangs View Post
                  Your post is very inspiring. Simple things in a routined life can just keep us in touch with our divine self... Hope you don't mind I "steal" some of your ideas hehe...
                  Steal away! I'm glad to be inspiring people with my little actions...some days, they don't seem like enough to me, and I have to keep reminding myself to avoid the "bigger is better" trap with spirituality. There's a place for big, showy, elaborate rituals and celebrations, but they don't work as well for me in the everyday.

                  My personal daily routine lacks discipline, and sometimes I almost "forget" about apreciating what life has to offer.
                  I'm gonna let you in a little secret, Silverfangs: so does mine. I call it my "daily practice" because they're meant to be routine actions, but I don't do everything every day. The songs and the tea ritual are only weekday deals. My weekend is sorely lacking is spiritual structure. And there are days when I feel too tired, too ornery at the world, or too "blah" to do much of anything on my list. I have fallen asleep in the middle of releasing at night. For me, what matters is intention and continued, sincere effort toward improvement. I strive every day to be better than I was the day before - at everything, including my spirituality. And some days, that means being honest about the fact that I don't want to sing this song, or do this meditation today. I created a routine because it helped me focus, and most of the time I follow it, because I enjoy its components. But I would much rather skip them or replace them with a more genuine-in-the-moment expression of my feelings toward What Is, than to have them become a heavy obligation or a chore.

                  But mostly I let my mind fly everytime I walk outside - in the park, in the noisy streets, in the quiet neighbourhoods - everytime I have to go from a point A to a point B, I use my walking as a form of active meditation, trying to observe the little things that are really important. Things that mostly in our stressed lives we seem to forget or not pay attention.
                  This is great, and I agree: taking little moments to just be aware of what surrounds us, and what we're a part of, is so important.

                  Also I try to relax my mind when I take a bath. These days I'm trying to atune myself with the water element... don't know why. Just something that was sugested in dreams...
                  You know, I've been feeling lately like I could help myself a lot by attuning more to water. I just might try that bath thing! If you have any other tips, please load me up.

                  Anyway, at night, I try to let the window open and lay myself in the bed just looking at the sky and the trees. It helps me getting relaxed.
                  Oh, wow. I feel relaxed just reading that.

                  Thanks so much for sharing these.
                  If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
                  helps you feel your life protects you,
                  cradles you and connects you to everything.
                  Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Little things, little things. I keep reading this thread and wracking my brain to figure out what I do. Much of my former daily ritual is lost. But here are little things that still creep in...

                    When I wake in the morning, I take a moment to treasure the moment. It's really the only point in the day when I can hold onto the brief feeling of being right where I want to be, in the middle of it all. I treasure the moments in life like I treasure the moments in pieces of music or theater or art... so when I'm in the midst of one, I try to stop and take a mental snapshot. That helps create a path into those moments, while also reminding me that they are the small stepping stones that carry me beyond them and through my life.

                    When I prepare food, throughout the day, I try to add intent as one of the ingredients. It's a very kitchen-witchy thing... I add love to soup. I focus hope into the stirring of a pot. I visualize the nourishment that is inherent in the food and see it entering not only my body, but my soul. And I remember that we really are what we eat, and feel that connectedness with the earth, knowing that it's becoming part of me and that I will someday return the favor...

                    At night, when I take my dog out, I take time to look for the moon. If it's new, I look for what its light tends to block. If it's overcast, I feel for the insulation, the warmth. I sing to the moon at night, reaching out across the sky to remember that we are on the far-flung arm of a massive galaxy surrounded by more galaxies and even more of that which we don't understand. And it makes me content to know that there's plenty of mystery out there without having to create any mystery for myself or anyone else. I take an odd comfort in that...

                    And every day I find something for which to be grateful... even on my worst days, I can be grateful for something. I feel that a spirit of gratitude is a thanks to the universe. Life may not be perfect, but it's life, and I'm lucky to have it... I won't forever. That makes it precious, and I treasure every bit of it while I have it. That is humanity's gift, not its curse. That life is short gives us the chance to really treasure it. Tolkein said something to that effect, I believe in The Silmarillion...

                    Like for Windsmith's rituals, not all of these things happen every day without fail. But they help. I used to have meditation and yoga and grounding rituals, and would like to reincorporate them when I feel the pull. But it hasn't been strong enough yet... I have other things to do. But that's life. And IMHO it's worth celebrating in whatever little ways we can.

                    Peace

                    ETA: Oh, and "I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues." (as Dr. Seuss's Lorax would say) Actually, I speak to the trees and to animals and to rocks... they have presence just as I have, and who am I to know whether they understand anything or not? They seem to respond sometimes, even if only in my mind. And they soothe and connect me. I like talking to trees...
                    Last edited by Eleisawolf; June 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM.
                    Working for Peace Pruning the Rambles

                    :hahugh: Banner made by me :hahugh:
                    Definition of skepticism: Don't believe everything you think.

                    In wildness is the preservation of the world ~Henry David Thoreau

                    Pantheism Path Forum Guide

                    In memoriam, Basha: 4/1996 - 12/2007 * * * In memoriam, Tika: 9/1996 - 3/2008

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Eleisawolf View Post
                      When I prepare food, throughout the day, I try to add intent as one of the ingredients. It's a very kitchen-witchy thing... I add love to soup. I focus hope into the stirring of a pot. I visualize the nourishment that is inherent in the food and see it entering not only my body, but my soul.
                      This is something I want to start doing, but I always forget. I'll be almost done making dinner and say, "Oh, shoot! I was going to do something...witchy with this meal."

                      Originally posted by Eleisawolf
                      If it's new, I look for what its light tends to block.
                      This line piqued my interest. What, exactly, do you see that the moonlight "tends to block"? Do you mean things in the sky, like stars and clouds, or do you mean things around you on the ground?

                      Originally posted by Eleisawolf
                      And every day I find something for which to be grateful... even on my worst days, I can be grateful for something. I feel that a spirit of gratitude is a thanks to the universe. Life may not be perfect, but it's life, and I'm lucky to have it... I won't forever. That makes it precious, and I treasure every bit of it while I have it. That is humanity's gift, not its curse. That life is short gives us the chance to really treasure it. Tolkein said something to that effect, I believe in The Silmarillion...
                      This is so beautiful. And not to disparage anyone else's religion, but this is a big part of why I love Pantheism so much. It teaches me to be grateful for What Is because it is, not because some deity gave it to me, and was feeling benevolent and decided to spare it for one more day.
                      If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
                      helps you feel your life protects you,
                      cradles you and connects you to everything.
                      Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Some things I've tried in the last couple weeks:

                        Meditative walk at lunch time - doing this 2-3 times a week

                        A few minutes of descriptive astronomy each evening

                        Some things I've tried to approach with more mindfulness:

                        Evening walks with my dog
                        Meals, especially dinner

                        I would really like to focus on that liminal moment between sleep and waking each morning. But, for me, those early waking moments are dull and dark. I've usually been on my feet for a good 10 minutes before I feel human. Such is life.

                        I'm out of my mind, please leave a message...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Windsmith View Post
                          This line piqued my interest. What, exactly, do you see that the moonlight "tends to block"? Do you mean things in the sky, like stars and clouds, or do you mean things around you on the ground?
                          Really, both. The moon's light, as much as I love it, blocks the fainter stars and creates shadows that sometimes makes it hard to see what the night does to the earth. Darkness is as beautiful to me as light.

                          Have you ever heard of or considered having a "night garden"? There are certain plants that are their most beautiful at night, and some people undertake to create gardens of them that are intended to be visited in the dark instead of during the day.

                          I'd like to have one, someday...

                          Peace
                          Working for Peace Pruning the Rambles

                          :hahugh: Banner made by me :hahugh:
                          Definition of skepticism: Don't believe everything you think.

                          In wildness is the preservation of the world ~Henry David Thoreau

                          Pantheism Path Forum Guide

                          In memoriam, Basha: 4/1996 - 12/2007 * * * In memoriam, Tika: 9/1996 - 3/2008

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ravenscape View Post
                            Some things I've tried in the last couple weeks:

                            Meditative walk at lunch time - doing this 2-3 times a week

                            A few minutes of descriptive astronomy each evening

                            Some things I've tried to approach with more mindfulness:

                            Evening walks with my dog
                            Meals, especially dinner
                            These sound great, ravenscape. Care to give us a feel of how these things are working for you? And what's "descriptive astronomy"? It sounds fascinating.

                            Originally posted by ravenscape
                            I would really like to focus on that liminal moment between sleep and waking each morning. But, for me, those early waking moments are dull and dark. I've usually been on my feet for a good 10 minutes before I feel human. Such is life.
                            I'm with you. I've almost lost touch with that liminal space for good. I'm either up or I'm out like a wee, red-headed lightbulb. If you find a way to reconnect and make something of those moments other than a thick gray fog, let us know!

                            Originally posted by Eleisawolf View Post
                            Really, both. The moon's light, as much as I love it, blocks the fainter stars and creates shadows that sometimes makes it hard to see what the night does to the earth. Darkness is as beautiful to me as light.
                            Thank you. And also...wow.

                            Have you ever heard of or considered having a "night garden"? There are certain plants that are their most beautiful at night, and some people undertake to create gardens of them that are intended to be visited in the dark instead of during the day.
                            I've heard of them, but I've never been in one at night to see it. Maybe when you have one someday, we'll all come visit.
                            If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
                            helps you feel your life protects you,
                            cradles you and connects you to everything.
                            Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Wow, the things I miss by being away from the pantheist section on MW for a few weeks!

                              Windsmith, the stuff in post #3 is awesome! (as are many other things people have posted on this thread). I’d like to add more to my daily practice, and will as time goes on. I especially want to add more family inclusive – not just me-in-private type of things. I wonder if before dinner readings of a verse or two from Marcus Aurelius’ meditations will fit?

                              Anyway, I have only one small thing to add to this thread, my little daily practice I started a year or two ago, that has been nice. Not earth-shaking, just nice.

                              I take a brief moment – usually like 50 seconds or so, but rarely as long as several minutes, to sit and silently think about the wheel – often about where I and other family members are on their wheel of life (what challenges, say, my second son is facing, or what evolutionary needs my eldest has now), but also often about where we are on the wheel of the year, where the moon or a planet is in it’s phase, or where a big project or such is on the cycle of start to finish, or just to appreciate something, or whatever comes to mind (hence the variable length of time needed). Recently, it’s often been how my move is going – our family bought and is moving into a new house because my son Rowan has just been born, and we could use a little more space.

                              This is always at the very start of my day, and I sit facing the direction of the season (North between Yule and Ostara, then E until Litha, etc. It makes the transition points more real, because suddenly facing a different direction feels a bit odd for about a week or so. I do this just before putting on my shoes - in fact I get them and sit down with them just before starting. Part of this is symbolic – my spirituality is what equips me for the day, just as much as having shoes on. Part of this is just practical – I can’t forget to do my meditation since the shoes are a part of my normal daily routine. I also do a shorter but very similar practice when taking my shoes off before bed – I take them off facing the direction, and often give a quick thought to a review of the day, or some other thing that is on my mind, and how it relates to the wheel or compass.

                              Another nice aspect of tying this to my routine for putting my shoes on in the morning is that makes this very portable, yet real. When I travel, it keeps me anchored to knowing which way is North, and brings some of the familiarity of home to wherever I am. In that regard I’ve been pleasantly surprised that many airports now have a prayer room with a big compass on the floor - how convenient (then I may use it without the shoe part, just add a short meditation then, that day)!! Of course, I know it is there for Muslims so they can pray facing Mecca, but it works well for me nonetheless.

                              That’s the only regular daily practice I have, though I’ll often address or notice or otherwise appreciate particular glorious things – be that a nice sundog, or a flicker on a branch, or a rising star, or whatever.

                              Thanks for the cool thread, and may the water quench your thirst-
                              -Equinox

                              I like my spirituality because I think it's true. But I love my spirituality because it makes me excited to be part of the universe. - Ben Trimegistus, 2004.2.23 (That's how I feel too!)

                              (webpage temporarily down) my webpage:

                              In short, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan spiritually at home in Unitarian Universalism.

                              Talk with us! New Naturalistic Pagan Yahoo Group

                              Equinox/Solstice Times . . rise/set and phase dataDaily Devotion for Naturalistic Pagans (Click Here.......... or Here) :fpraiseyo

                              P. S. thanks so much for all the people who have given me karma. With a very slow connection, I simply don't have time to give out nearly as much as I'd like.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X