This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Equinox

For those of us in the northern hemisphere, the Fall Equinox is this month. I wanted to post this a bit early to give people time to respond. Do you have any special plans for the Fall Equinox and what are they? If you haven't planned anything yet, what would you like to do? And how will you incorporate your Pantheist beliefs into your celebration?

For those of you in the southern hemisphere, please feel free to answer the same questions for your upcoming Spring Equinox. :hahugh:

My wife and I are going to be sharing an intentional meal together. I had this great idea at the end of last month, and maybe it'll turn out to be better suited to Lammas, but I know myself well enough to know that if I had to wait until next August to try it out I will completely forget.

So we're going to cast our circle early in the day, then head out to either the farmers' market or our local co-op and pick out some seasonal fruits and vegetables. This is part of our committment to eating more local foods - when they're in season. For me, this feels very true to my Pantheistic beliefs in that it brings me more in tune with the rhythms of the planet. Then we're going to make some fabulous food with our produce (navratan korma, most likely), and eat it! Simple but powerful, and I'm very much looking forward to it.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

Equinox

Thanks for the question, Lunaine.

I have not planned anything for the equinox and probably won't. I have not usually celebrated either equinox with any particular ritual or activity. I do remember or note it in my meditation for the day. Particularly I like to note the ephemeral nature of "balance" in that the equal day and night status is so fleeting, but already returning.

I am, however, interested in any celebration or activities others may do. I love to borrow freely.
      I don't need a god to make me safe
      I am safe by knowing I am where I should be
      a part of all that is

Comment

I haven't been posting much lately b/c of a new job, but looking forward to the equinox pulled me out of lurk mode.

I'm planning on attending the local Renaissance festival (again) and enjoy some street theatre. Since this time of year makes me think of apple and grape harvests and that makes me think of Dionysus who is not only the Greek wine god, but the god of theatre, and well, there you go.

And I do really know that that's not a totally pantheist way of connecting to the equinox, but somehow that's what it is in my mind, which is strange b/c Dionysus is the only god to whom I feel any connection (metaphorical or otherwise). I guess it's all those Greek plays I had to read in theatre history...

My husband and I also celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary on the 14th, so a dual celebration may be in order.
        sigpic

Comment

Celebrate the Season!

Originally posted by peggyelizabeth View Post
          I'm planning on ... enjoy some street theatre. Since this time of year makes me think of apple and grape harvests and that makes me think of Dionysus who is not only the Greek wine god, but the god of theatre, and well, there you go.

And I do really know that that's not a totally pantheist way of connecting to the equinox ... celebration may be in order.
          You made me want to celebrate; who cares if I don't particularly note the specific day! I treat it as half way through the Harvest season starting around August 1, but your comment about the apple and grape harvests and just the outsisde joy of the time were enough to make me smile.

I too have a specific diety I like to feel connected to sometimes. I know, maybe a throwback to a monotheistic upbringing, I am pantheistic, but I don't care. I suspect if all of us here (MW) who didn't start here worried about rationally justifying in an internally consistent manner everything we felt, none of us would be here. We'd still be back where we started. I'm going out to enjoy any way I feel.
          I don't need a god to make me safe
          I am safe by knowing I am where I should be
          a part of all that is

Comment

Fire, drumming, making soap for the winter, letting our Goddess out. Hubby and Girlfriend and her hubby, not sure about the rest yet, everyone is so spread out these days. Ill be 36 weeks pregnant so perhaps I'll be asking for strength and courage as well.

sigpic"
            The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood its ground."- Unknown

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
            Gerry Spence

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Lewis Carroll

Comment

I won't celebrate equinox specifically, but at this time of the year, there is lots of celebration going on in my life.

-I observe first days of every new season. September 1st was first day of Fall, and so I changed my altar display to a Fall display and did a prayer ritual.

-Harvest season is here! I and DH are not professional farmers, but growing part of our own food is important to our lifestyle and spirituality. Since we live in North, fall comes early and this week is our main harvest week. All this week, I will prepare specifically foods that include produce from our garden, including first tastings of many of the canned goodies we made earlier in the summer.
              During the coming weekend, we will have a bigger dinner, candlelight and gardening talk. We will also pour beer onto our vegetable patch in honor of Pellonpekko, the Finnish god of farming. I have lately felt the call of the ancient faith of my country. I'm a Pantheist at heart, but do not feel it excludes honoring specific Deities. In any case, Finnish Gods/Goddesses can be seen as metaphors for elemental forces, or certain aspects of reality. However that may be, I just do what feels right and proper.

Comment

Originally posted by cheddarsox
                I will also be celebrating six months with my latest pet...named Equinox, who came to me fortuitously on the spring equinox, through an unusual set of circumstances, when I was completely down after some painful experiences with a friend.
                What kind of critter might Equinox be, cheddar?

Comment

Originally posted by cheddarsox
                  Equinox is a siren, an aquatic salamander native to the coastal region of the South Eastern states. They get to be about four feet long.
                  Like this? I'm not much for amphibians and reptiles as pets, but I gotta say - that is one cute salamander!

Wishing you both many happy (re)turns!

Hmmm...how to work a salamander named Equinox into a celebration of the Equinox...

Comment

I have already started preparing for the Equinox. Out with the old and in with the new and ritually cleansed my home like I do every year. Cleansed and changed my altar set up since, I plan to be away before , during and after the Equinox. So being that my trip will place me around nature it's a good time to tune into the changing of the season. I plan on doing a ritual celebration on the day of the Equinox, harvest and make some tasty bake dishes. These is one of my favorite times of the changing from summer to fall; I love fall.
                    ~Jadewynd~

Everything the power does, it does in a circle.-Lakota
                    Regard Heaven as your father, Earth as your Mother and all things as your Brothers and Sisters.
                    -Native American
                    Peace comes within the souls of men, when they realize their oneness with the Universe, when they realize it is really everywhere... it is within each one of us.
                    Black Elk, Lakota Medicine Man

Certified Yoga Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by Jadewynd~ View Post
                      I have already started preparing for the Equinox. Out with the old and in with the new and ritually cleansed my home like I do every year. Cleansed and changed my altar set up since, I plan to be away before , during and after the Equinox. So being that my trip will place me around nature it's a good time to tune into the changing of the season. I plan on doing a ritual celebration on the day of the Equinox, harvest and make some tasty bake dishes. These is one of my favorite times of the changing from summer to fall; I love fall.
                      I am off work today, and you inspired me. I did some serious "out with the old" and it feels Sooooo gooood.
                      In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

Originally posted by cheddarsox View Post
                        I am off work today, and you inspired me. I did some serious "out with the old" and it feels Sooooo gooood.

It does! Think light , glad to have inspired ya.
                        ~Jadewynd~

Everything the power does, it does in a circle.-Lakota
                        Regard Heaven as your father, Earth as your Mother and all things as your Brothers and Sisters.
                        -Native American
                        Peace comes within the souls of men, when they realize their oneness with the Universe, when they realize it is really everywhere... it is within each one of us.
                        Black Elk, Lakota Medicine Man

Certified Yoga Teacher

Comment

Lunaine, I do believe I'm going to sticky this thread. Lately I've heard a lot of people express frustration with the lack of references for those of us who practice Pantheism as a religion, the lack of guidance for what to do.

So I'm going to pop this thread up into Stickyville where we can always find it, and as the year rolls on, let's get discussions going for all the holy days that pop up - solar, lunar, whateverar! If there are no references for us, let's make some for ourselves!

Comment

A little ditty

I was just thinking this morning that it's almost time to roll out the song I sing around the Equinoxes. Here's the fall version. Sorry I can't think of a way to convey the tune, but, hey - this way you can come up with your own tune that works for you.

When the sun comes up in the morning
                            When the moon comes up at night
                            We are living here in the balance
                            In between the dark and the light.

Now the wheel rolls on to autumn
                            Ever longer grows the night.
                            Still we find our place in the balance
                            In between the dark and the light

Fast the winds of change are blowing
                            Calling us to do what's right.
                            We will work to keep the balance
                            In between the dark and the light
                            In between the dark and the light.

Does anyone else have songs or chants or prayers for this holiday or season that they'd care to share?

Comment

Yum!

OK, gang. Last night my wife and I planned our menu for our ritual feast, and I am soooo excited I had to share:

Soup course:
                              --sweet potato soup and toasted sourdough bread with roasted garlic
                              Main course:
                              --butternut squash risotto with dried cranberries and toasted pine nuts
                              --broccoli with garlic butter
                              Dessert:
                              --baked apples filled with oats and brown sugar

What's anybody else got stewing for an Equinox celebration?

Comment

Working...
                              X