Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, my holiday will probably be spent trying to get my dog and cat to avoid killing each other, somehow. But in the meantime, I'm going to make the bread I make for each autumn equinox and enjoy the fall that has certainly come.

Today we saw a tree that had only two branches turned and the rest still green. It was lovely...

And I had ice cream for dinner.

And tomorrow is Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Good weekend, I hope...

Peace
    Working for Peace Pruning the Rambles

:hahugh: Banner made by me :hahugh:
    Definition of skepticism: Don't believe everything you think.

In wildness is the preservation of the world ~Henry David Thoreau

Pantheism Path Forum Guide

In memoriam, Basha: 4/1996 - 12/2007 * * * In memoriam, Tika: 9/1996 - 3/2008

Comment

Talk Like a Pirate Day was fun, by the way.

Tomorrow, as part of my enjoyment of the equinox:

I'll be offering homemade honey whole-wheat bread to friends to whom it has been promised.

I'll be participating in a discussion, at the Episcopal church where I have found community, involving the balance of religion (spirituality) and science. This is a discussion I will be involved in and partly hosting over the next few weeks and perhaps into the future as requested. This week delves into cosmology, while the weeks in which I will be more active will involve evolution and cognitive neuroscience, two areas with which I am fascinated from both a spiritual and scientific POV. I recommend, by the way, that anyone who has spiritual ecstasy when considering the sheer awe-striking capacity of the brain should pick up Newsweek Magazine for the week of September 22, 2008. Don't let the cover, "What Women Want," fool you. The majority of the issue is dedicated to various areas of cognitive neuroscience. Anyway, as one of the resident pantheists in the church (albeit perhaps the only non-deistic one), it's a good role for me to play and one I'm embracing whole-heartedly.

I'll be celebrating my father's (and, prematurely, my own) birthday--with him. What a gift to live near one's parents when a good relationship exists.

I'll be enjoying the presence of our newly adopted Siberian Husky mix, Sa'rits (Ute word, meaning "dog") and the many challenges and lessons she will offer over the course of our lives together, along with our enjoyably bold and energetic kitty, Sasha.

(Yes, she's very skinny---not sure if that's a result of neglect or just shelter stress... we're working on getting her to a healthy weight, though...)

I'll be howling at the moon, welcoming my most beloved autumn, and enjoying the holiness of the items of "second harvest"---honey, wine, and grain.

I'll be lighting my Russian vigil lamp to remember Tika, who left us at the Spring Equinox, and Basha, who left us at the Winter Solstice. 6 and 9 months ago exactly. Numbers that are multiples of 3 are holy to me for their various "magical" properties in the world of mathematics and their correspondences across much of human experience. Our girls left exactly 3 months apart on two of my sacred days. 3, 6, 9. It's partly because of this (along with the fact that it's a Sunday, during which I have more time) that I'm celebrating the equinox on the 21st, even though, technically, it's the morning of the 22nd this year. Note that 21---as 2 + 1---is also a 3.

This season reminds me of the stretching we have to do to survive as a thin-skinned species with big brains. I will continue to reap the harvest before all chances to do so end on Hallows' Eve. What I reap, I will store and use and feed on through the winter in preparation for a new burst into the life of spring. May such harvests bring hope and peace and satisfaction to each of us.

Peace, and blessed, joyous equinox to you all.

ETA: I will share a thought with all of you at some point during the day---May you be fulfilled. Perhaps that simple thought can be part of everyone's ritual, as a way for us to connect as a community. It's not complex, and hopefully won't conflict with your ritual intents... Let us know what you do and how it works for you...
      Last edited by Eleisawolf; September 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM. Reason: Detail

Comment

Thanks for sharing your plans and and update of whats going on with you!

I am using the equinox as the beginning of a "sabbatical" so if you don't see me round much, that's why. I'm going to try some different strategies of how I spend my time and interact with others, and see how that goes.

I've been having some serious health issues lately and am hoping that tweaking other areas of my life will also bring relief in that area.

I was at a harvest festival two weekends ago and a lady there was selling pottery lanterns, the pottery "globes" have cut outs in various shapes...and when a votive is lit inside they throw the shapes of the cut outs on the walls and ceiling of a dark room.

the glazes and shapes of the saucers fit the theme of each lantern. I purchased one, beautifully glazed in autumn/woodsy colors with various leaf shaped cut outs and sits on a large curled leaf base...for the autumnal equinox. And I chose a blue one with sun images sitting on a star shaped base for the winter solstice.

I have asked her if she has a website or someplace on line with photos that I could tell my friends about, because her lanterns are lovely and she has many themes, and takes custom orders as well! So, if you work with certain images, symbols, etc...she'd create a lantern with the symbols, colors, etc that you like.

She also has some more traditionally shaped cylyndrical lanterns, but I like the globe shaped one's best.

She said that a website was too costly just now, but I suggested she create a photobucket or even a "myspace" where she could at least let people look at her works...but I think she thought I was being pushy...she's not responded to my last e-mail.

But I do think her lanterns would appeal to many pagan types (I told her that I thought people with nature based spiritualities would love her work)...oh well.

I'll see if I can't get my daughter to upload a couple of photos of mine so I can post them here...

yesterday we went on a walk in the mountains, the recent hurricane related rains have brought forth a bloom of mushrooms/fungi, fall really is the best time to do a mushroom walk. We saw hundreds of kinds!

Today I will change the altars over for the season and create a hearty meal of the autumn's bounty, and dedicate myself to my six weeks of ...I'm not sure what...brutal honesty...creative work...keeping my mouth shut and my ears and eyes open...coming to terms with some changes in my life that I've been resisting.

I will think of my friends here, who I appreciate so much, who challenge and encourage me in all the best ways.

cheddar
        In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

Originally posted by HeartofMoon View Post
          I didn't mean it like that.
          I know you didn't, HeartofMoon. You're a better person than that. We just feeling uncertain of ourselves and of how well our endeavor was going to work.

It worked like a charm, by the way. We cast our circle in the morning before we walked into "town" and just let the wonder of being in such a unique place flow through us. We were at the Grand Hotel, and to our great amazement, we discovered they have a labyrinth! It's gorgeous and secluded and so serene. Leora and I walked it, and once we were done, we looked at each other and said, "Hey, we just had our ritual, didn't we?" We didn't feel we needed anything else, though we kept our circle up until right before we went to bed. The whole day became ritual - a normal day (though the day was, in fact, anything but normal) made sharper, somehow more real because of the attention we were paying.
          If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
          helps you feel your life protects you,
          cradles you and connects you to everything.
          Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

This year, Leora and I will be taking a spiritual retreat day on the 21st. On the 22nd, we will mark the Equinox with a mystery dinner; that is, we have not planned what we will be eating but rather will compose a meal of whatever arrives in our CSA share tonight or can be obtained at the farmer's market on Saturday. This seems a great way to acknowlege the harvest: you can plan and plan, but ultimately you must deal with whatever the Earth provides.

On the 26th we're having a few friends over for a harvest potluck. We're trying to see about rebuilding some community ties.
            If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
            helps you feel your life protects you,
            cradles you and connects you to everything.
            Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

This equinox, I've found myself in a place of extreme unbalance. So, I'm working on balance, which of course is appropriate right now.

Unfortunately, this balance is going to take a long time. It is needed in my external, physical world, and in my internal, emotional/mental world. Which of course is all physical... but the external stuff feels more tangible.

Still, none of it will be easily resolved. Hopefully, I'll find the path through, on a balance with myself, the world, and what will come.

Peace

Comment

i keep it simple with prayers at the altar. in keeping with my pantheistic beliefs, i mark the changing of the seasons and the full and new moons, but i keep it very simple remembering the cycles of nature.

Comment

I just observe, experience and enjoy.

Watching the seasons change helps put my own problems/concerns into perspective, not by making them any less important, just reminding me that everything changes and what was a pain in the neck today will probably be forgotten when the future becomes today, but the beauty of existence will continue.

Stop. Look. Listen.

For just one moment in each day.

Existence is everything.

Comment

I plan on doing some meditation and reflecting on the things that I am thankful for. My family is going to have a big home cooked meal as well.

sigpic
                    :cheers:
                    Illegally Sighted
                    Twitter

Comment

It's a lovely rainy day outside so I'm just going to enjoy the view outside (from the comfort of my warm room) this Mabon. It'll the first of what I hope to be many that I'll be celebrating today. I plan to tend to my flowers, meditate of the meaning and significance of Mabon and cook something special with what I have in the kitchen.

Happy Fall Equinox/Mabon everybody! :mmm:

Comment

Working...
                      X