Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Solstice/Yule

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by RavenStars View Post
    But I'm not sure how to write an invocation of something that's already there!
    Heh. Isn't every invocation an invocation of something that's already there? One thing that helped me immensely was to stop thinking of them as "invocations" and to think of them instead as "acknowledgments." Dark and light are always with you, but in this ritual you want to honor them, so you want them to really "stand forward," as it were, and be fully present with you and in you during this time. That is, you want to be fully aware of and present in them. If you think of it more like an introductory speech for the guest of honor at a party than a welcome to someone/something not currently present, that might work better.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Windsmith View Post
      Heh. Isn't every invocation an invocation of something that's already there? One thing that helped me immensely was to stop thinking of them as "invocations" and to think of them instead as "acknowledgments." Dark and light are always with you, but in this ritual you want to honor them, so you want them to really "stand forward," as it were, and be fully present with you and in you during this time. That is, you want to be fully aware of and present in them. If you think of it more like an introductory speech for the guest of honor at a party than a welcome to someone/something not currently present, that might work better.
      Guests of honor, that's how I think of invoking the elements or the gods. Just had an "aha" moment last month in planning our Snow Moon Esbat. I'm used to seeing the chalice passed around the circle and leaving a little bit in the bottom, also to passing around the plate leaving a cake or two. But no, I realized, when you have company don't you serve them first? You don't save the leftovers for them. So I took along a small ceramic chalice and a small plate and put the offerings of wine and cakes on those before passing the large chalice and plate around for everyone else. Then after the final blessing we took them to a far corner of the garden and poured them/scattered them there.
      ____________
      If you make a customer happy, he'll tell 3 other people.
      If he's not happy, he'll tell 20 others.



      Comment


      • #18
        Solstice falls on Dec 22 this year, No?
        In a love affair with sunshine

        Live this day like an altar to what you believe

        Comment


        • #19
          Yes, it does. It's generally on the 21st, so its really neat that it's on Saturday the 22nd since our group has several folks who work and we must get together on the Saturday evening nearest the Sabbat. WOOT!
          ____________
          If you make a customer happy, he'll tell 3 other people.
          If he's not happy, he'll tell 20 others.



          Comment


          • #20
            in the US central time zone I believe the very moment (scientifically speaking) is just after midnight on the 22nd.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by peggyelizabeth View Post
              in the US central time zone I believe the very moment (scientifically speaking) is just after midnight on the 22nd.
              No, wait, I'm still confused (my wife and I have been going back and forth on this all month). Is it midnight on the 22nd (when it's just started being the 22nd) or midnight just after the 22nd (when it's just started being the 23rd)?
              If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
              helps you feel your life protects you,
              cradles you and connects you to everything.
              Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

              Comment


              • #22
                in the early wee hours of the 22nd, about 1 AM eastern standard time.

                the drought hasn't broken, so I doubt we will manage a bonfire.
                In a love affair with sunshine

                Live this day like an altar to what you believe

                Comment


                • #23
                  yeah, what cheddar said.
                  12:something am on the 22nd
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0933521.html

                    Winter Solstice
                    Dec. 22, 1:08 A.M. EST (06:08 UT*)
                    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
                    --Bill Watterson

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Thank you for your comments on invocations. That really helped. Sort of an acknowledgment of what already is, not a request/plea to bring something to me. I was reading elsewhere about the physicality of ritual, and am looking forward to the darkness/light candle working. If I wasn't solitary, I think it would be fun to do a trust walk or some other blind fold game.

                      Anyway, as for offerings, I was taught to set aside the potions first, but have never been happy with sending them on their way in the toilet (no there isn't any place to bury or scatter)... but it just occured to me to make my offering in bird seed. I'll have to do some research and find something special for the wild finches that come to my feeders.
                      The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
                      --Bill Watterson

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by RavenStars View Post
                        Thank you for your comments on invocations. That really helped. Sort of an acknowledgment of what already is, not a request/plea to bring something to me. I was reading elsewhere about the physicality of ritual, and am looking forward to the darkness/light candle working. If I wasn't solitary, I think it would be fun to do a trust walk or some other blind fold game.

                        Anyway, as for offerings, I was taught to set aside the potions first, but have never been happy with sending them on their way in the toilet (no there isn't any place to bury or scatter)... but it just occured to me to make my offering in bird seed. I'll have to do some research and find something special for the wild finches that come to my feeders.
                        Well, here are a couple of thoughts for those that don't have a handy place to leave offerings or ablutions...first, the toilet drains into somewhere, where something will use what you offer. I understand though, that the symbolism is less than poetic..so here are some other options...

                        Sponsor a child through a foundation who's work you find worthy of support, adopt a critter at a zoo, or an exhibit at a museum...that would be a regular monthly offering...or sponsor PBS...or somthing else that a regular donation to would show your connectedness, etc.

                        Take time to water a plant in a forgotten corner of an office, or to smile and make eye contact with at least one person a day that looks like they could use it...put two quarters in the vending machine after you receive your goodies as a nice surprise for the next person.

                        I'm just offering some ideas to get us thinking outside the box...something will come to you on your own, you'll see a genuine place in your life, where you input will make a difference, and it will become your offering altar.

                        Just keep your eyes open...or you may find out you are already "giving" and just hadn't identified it yet.

                        Last week, I was feeling really down and isolated. I've recently been switched to a new dept at work, and have been having all my breaks alone. But the other day someone invited me to sit with them. It made a huge difference in my week. I don't know if they realized it, or even thought about it, but it mattered a whole lot to me.
                        In a love affair with sunshine

                        Live this day like an altar to what you believe

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          If you leave an offering on an altar, by the next day the gods (or other spirits) will have taken the Spirit of the offering and left the physical shell. You can tell the difference with a little taste. Then what you're flushing is just the leftovers, eh.

                          But I like the idea of the offering being birdseed. That's what we're doing for our Yule Ritual this weekend. The Priest/God avatar will hold a basket and we will all give him "birthday gifts" of corn or seeds and stuff like that, which will set on the altar overnight and be taken out into the Grove in the morning and scattered for all the God's little critters to enjoy.
                          ____________
                          If you make a customer happy, he'll tell 3 other people.
                          If he's not happy, he'll tell 20 others.



                          Comment


                          • #28
                            last night I had an idea for a really cool group solstice ritual. someday I'd like to have a yard big enough to build a labyrinth, but for now this is just an idea that I can share.

                            each person starts to walk the labyrinth with a lighted candle, when she reaches the center she extinguishes the candle and then walks out with the darkened one and takes a place around the lab. to create a circle of darkness where once there was light.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              What great ideas for offerings! Thank you. I've got some thinking to do on this one. I really only can donate to one charity and I've chosen the county library, but I never thought of doing a monthly offering that way.

                              I like the idea of your circle of darkness. I decided to start with a single candle, go to darkness by blowing it out, blindfolding myself since my ritual space isn't very dark, then doing some sensory exercises with touch and taste, then lighting all the candles I own! So I'm going from darkness to light. Then I'm going to do some black and white collage work before I feast. Oh, I'm getting a black and white flower arrangement! Cool, huh?

                              This is going to be a great holiday!
                              The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
                              --Bill Watterson

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Here is a pic of our Solstice altar.




                                In a love affair with sunshine

                                Live this day like an altar to what you believe

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X